Coaching Staff Coaching Staff Changes - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Francou now departed and the final changes have been announced.
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-10-03/francou-departs

Sydney Swans 2018 coaching group

John Longmire – Senior Coach
John Blakey – Director of Coaching and Head of Development
Stuart Dew – Senior Assistant Coach
Brett Kirk – Assistant Coach – Midfield & Stoppages
Rhyce Shaw – Assistant Coach – Defence
Steve Johnson – Assistant Coach – Forwards
Tadhg Kennelly – Development Coach
Jeremy Laidler – Development Coach

Unless Dew goes to the Suns looks like that's all the changes which will be made

Francou now departed and the final changes have been announced.
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-10-03/francou-departs

Sydney Swans 2018 coaching group

John Longmire – Senior Coach
John Blakey – Director of Coaching and Head of Development
Stuart Dew – Senior Assistant Coach
Brett Kirk – Assistant Coach – Midfield & Stoppages
Rhyce Shaw – Assistant Coach – Defence
Steve Johnson – Assistant Coach – Forwards
Tadhg Kennelly – Development Coach
Jeremy Laidler – Development Coach

Unless Dew goes to the Suns looks like that's all the changes which will be made
If they put this up today ,two days before the GC announcement , they must know something.

If they put this up today ,two days before the GC announcement , they must know something.
Agree...its the only line of thinking you could take with this.

Agree somewhat but think StevieJ is a good move to help offset this similarity somewhat. Kirky was also at Freo for a while so not exclusively set in the "swans way" as such given his time out of our system (and the transition from Roos/Horse).
Kirk was under Ross who was under Roos with with horse

Kirk was under Ross who was under Roos with with horse
Different system still I reckon mate.

Most coaches come from somewhere. There's always the 6 degrees of seperation argument.

Just looking at how Ross coached (& the coaches/players Kirk worked with) I think the experience would've been fairly different to our system no matter the fact Ross might've been with Roos/Horse previously IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our stoppages have been an issue for years

Would have brought someone else in to try and rectify the issue before I went for Kirk
I reckon pushing Dew out of that area will be key. He's become a bit predictible & perhaps a bit stale. Kirky hasn't had a crack at our midfield yet and he did great things with Freos when he was there. I like the move.

I reckon pushing Dew out of that area will be key. He's become a bit predictible & perhaps a bit stale. Kirky hasn't had a crack at our midfield yet and he did great things with Freos when he was there. I like the move.
Dew is senior assistant, he isn't getting pushed anywhere

Dew is senior assistant, he isn't getting pushed anywhere
He was in charge of stoppages.

Hopefully Kirky takes that over & Dew focuses less on that aspect as I think letting Kirky focus on our midfield stoppages instead of Dew we should see some new thinking/ideas & hopefully a better system.

Affirms to me that Dew is clearly in line for the head coach position. This will be Longmire's last contract at the Swans as senior coach.

He was in charge of stoppages.

Hopefully Kirky takes that over & Dew focuses less on that aspect as I think letting Kirky focus on our midfield stoppages instead of Dew we should see some new thinking/ideas & hopefully a better system.
We were really good at stoppages under Roos. It's something which we've fallen apart with under Longmire. Whether it's been a considered approach or not I'm baking Kirk on using his experience to get the best of our mids.

Just saying that it is obvious now.

Is it though?

Doesn't get Suns gig so resumes in his current role of which he is currently contracted to the Swans? Nothing has changed for him?

He may well be in the future but Horse would have a fair few chips to bargain if he won a flag in 2018 or 2019. Dew has been the anointed one for a while though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back