Remove this Banner Ad

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
I saw on Melbourne's Channel 7 News tonight that Rocket won't keep his job beyond 2017 unless he can take us to a maiden finals berth. The same report later said Mark Evans is almost definitely going to sound out Alastair Clarkson as the replacement coach should Eade not be renewed. What do we think gang? I don't want to preempt Rodney's departure because I think that's unfair and disrespectful but our 2018 head coach is certainly something we need to be talking about when we don't have a coach contracted for next season.
Same old journo garbage trying to undermine our club.....tell them to pick on Sydney or Hawthorn .
From this Clarkson is looking for a job - not sure Rocket is taking off yet ..!!!

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
If Rocket can't get us to finals this year, then he doesn't deserve an extension. I know the blame shouldn't fall entirely on him, but three years is enough time. Sack the other useless assistant coaches too.

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think we should've given him a one year extension last year to get a better idea of where we are, bit awkward to do so now

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I saw on Melbourne's Channel 7 News tonight that Rocket won't keep his job beyond 2017 unless he can take us to a maiden finals berth. The same report later said Mark Evans is almost definitely going to sound out Alastair Clarkson as the replacement coach should Eade not be renewed. What do we think gang? I don't want to preempt Rodney's departure because I think that's unfair and disrespectful but our 2018 head coach is certainly something we need to be talking about when we don't have a coach contracted for next season.
I got the same word from inside the club, no top 8 no Rocket, apparently he is on board with it too

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I had this conversation with someone that Chairs another club and I thought he has been the right guy to come in and clean up the mess and set a standard and culture and a playing group that can stay together but I think he is now not the right guy to take a young playing group to the promised land not a knock on him just horses for courses
The AFL (Demetriou) were pretty disparaging about Rocket being over rated and lazy when he was sounded out against Hinkley and Roos for the Port job apparently back when it was up for grabs and Hinkley got the nod
I have said it before on here but Hinkley was very close to being given Blueys job a year or two before he was sacked but Blight stepped in and canned it due to being an unstable move, would have been a good move in hindsight I think

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Our problems at the end of 2014 were well hidden and ingrained. If you only saw the games it was easy to think that we were close to finals. But take out Gaz and we were a bottom 4 team without much heart (that 1 and 6 finish after the Pies game, jeez some of those games were horrendous).

Needed a new and experienced coach to see those problems and start to fix them (and Mal picked them up quickly as well). Rocket was a good coach for that period. He got stuck into and dropped a few blokes who needed it. Kicked things into gear on the track and off the track. Not so much on the field, but injuries hurt us a lot there especially in the midfield.

One thing that needs a mention. Those injuries also made our culture look worse than it was, especially JOM and Swallow. Those 2 guys are apparently super professional and super hard at it but you can't lead by example from the rehab group. I suspect the cultural turn around took longer with some of our best and hardest working players in rehab.

A good coach for right now? Not sure, but the good thing is that the new CEO and board will have enough time (and the team will have enough fit players) to decide if Rocket can do the job the next 2 years.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Our problems at the end of 2014 were well hidden and ingrained. If you only saw the games it was easy to think that we were close to finals. But take out Gaz and we were a bottom 4 team without much heart (that 1 and 6 finish after the Pies game, jeez some of those games were horrendous).

Needed a new and experienced coach to see those problems and start to fix them (and Mal picked them up quickly as well). Rocket was a good coach for that period. He got stuck into and dropped a few blokes who needed it. Kicked things into gear on the track and off the track. Not so much on the field, but injuries hurt us a lot there especially in the midfield.

One thing that needs a mention. Those injuries also made our culture look worse than it was, especially JOM and Swallow. Those 2 guys are apparently super professional and super hard at it but you can't lead by example from the rehab group. I suspect the cultural turn around took longer with some of our best and hardest working players in rehab.

A good coach for right now? Not sure, but the good thing is that the new CEO and board will have enough time (and the team will have enough fit players) to decide if Rocket can do the job the next 2 years.
Rocket did bring Cordy to us too

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I got the same word from inside the club, no top 8 no Rocket, apparently he is on board with it too

I've got the feeling we will struggle this first half of year just because we have so many new faces and guys coming back from long term injurys that it's going to take that long for everyone to gel , then we might get on a run in he 2nd half , barring injurys of course . If this does happen and we miss finals but there is a feel good vibe where we are headed it might test the resolve of the board.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Ha's being judged on basically 1 season that hasn't been sabotaged by injuries. It's tough on Rocket but I guess that's the business.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Rocket will go down as one of the best MrFixits in the game's history
That's not a bad thing
The question mark has always been on his gameday and overall gameplan tactics I think
Perfectly said, I would love to see him stay as say Football Manager and get a younger coach in to run the players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders

This is more or less exactly my thinking too.

After the nightmare that Bluey turned out to be, we needed a wise head to come in and lead the ship in the right direction, which Rocket did. He weeded out the trouble and made everyone either commit and work hard or get out. The playing group seems as committed to each other as we have ever seen, with just about every important re-signing being made already.

However, (and I do agree that injuries have absolutely ruined his chances to show what he is capable of) I think it is probably time for him to hand over the reigns to the guy that will take us forward and deep into finals (assuming we have identified a coach we believe can come in and take us to the promise land), now that he has done what we primarily brought him in to do. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him stay on in another role so he is still involved in and around the club. I just have a couple of probably unpopular opinions regarding Rocket's game-day style, which to be honest are probably unwarranted given he has barely been able to coach the full side together.

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Perfectly said, I would love to see him stay as say Football Manager and get a younger coach in to run the players
or he could coach next season while he has a next senior coach like with gws and melbourne then move to Football Manager

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
or he could coach next season while he has a next senior coach like with gws and melbourne then move to Football Manager
a smart CEO would transition him and a new coach and keep Rpcket as the keeper of the culture, would be a great PR and strategy move

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
A couple of things

1. We have been blessed that Rocket took over this basket case of a club, we are miles ahead because of his work in BUILDING a club

2. He could be the director of coaching anywhere and it won't be at the Suns if we move him on after chasing him so hard, not going to happen

3. Who would be better for us than Rocket? surely not another untried coach, potentially another Bluey ffs

Rocket is the oldest coach in the league and he looks tired, if he's had enough then so be it but if he wants another year, I at least think he deserves it

Of course at the end of that year if we don't make finals then string the campaigner up by his toes :)

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A couple of things

1. We have been blessed that Rocket took over this basket case of a club, we are miles ahead because of his work in BUILDING a club

2. He could be the director of coaching anywhere and it won't be at the Suns if we move him on after chasing him so hard, not going to happen

3. Who would be better for us than Rocket? surely not another untried coach, potentially another Bluey ffs

Rocket is the oldest coach in the league and he looks tired, if he's had enough then so be it but if he wants another year, I at least think he deserves it

Of course at the end of that year if we don't make finals then string the campaigner up by his toes :)

Agree with all this Iva
He could go back to Hawthorn, Collingwood Melbourne anywhere as DOC
He really deserves another year no matter what barring a nervous breakdown

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
a smart CEO would transition him and a new coach and keep Rpcket as the keeper of the culture, would be a great PR and strategy move
It's more complicated than that though because someone might not want to stay around and watch someone do their old job

Didn't happen with Malthouse or Roos

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A couple of things

that was a compliment sandwich without the positive final piece of bread Iva

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Oh Clarkson is defs an upgrade
As much as Rocket was an upgrade on Bluey
Which one do we end up getting the guy that ran the team of the last decade or the guy that is leading a team with 13 premiership player plus the no1 disposal player in the league and a supposed once in a generation player in cockface that is getting smashed every week.

Maybe the game has moved past him

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Had it confirmed tonight we are talking to Clarkson, will have more after the game on Saturday

As much I think Eade deserves an extension, I'm glad the club is testing the waters. If a coach like Clarkson or Roos were agreeable they would be hard to pass up.

Do you reckon Ashcroft is strong enough though to be Clarksons right hand man? Reign in his occasional craziness?!

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As much I think Eade deserves an extension, I'm glad the club is testing the waters. If a coach like Clarkson or Roos were agreeable they would be hard to pass up.

Do you reckon Ashcroft is strong enough though to be Clarksons right hand man? Reign in his occasional craziness?!
also told Dew would look at the job too

Back