News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't wait. Tee off now. I'm one that got sick of every post being a shot at rocket, but without them everyone has forgot where we are on the ladder. The game has passed rocket. He's done great things for us off field, but on field we are the same rabble we've been the whole time. I'm sure he's not the only reason but I'm done with him and he's excuses. I think we will win today and that will paper the cracks for another week.
I have no problem with wanting Rocket sacked but it's the repetitiveness of wanting to sack him and replace him with Solomon with no logic to back it up that's annoying. For me, i reckon it's worth waiting till the end of the year, anyway can happen this season

Last edited:

100%. I'm patiently waiting for Mr Bods to go back to his old self and start pummeling Rocket, as he rightly deserves.

Absence makes the heart grown fonder...

Just needs to limit the same Rocket spray to just twice a week and that would be sufficient

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-12/your-clubs-development-gurus

Found this article from last year that looks at the development coaches from 2016 at each club.

I notice that the number of development staff varies from 3 to 8, with teams like the Demons, Saints and Lions having around 7-8. Looking at this we had about 4 this year (replacing Rooke with Malceski), plus 5 if you count Barry Hall's cameos

If we were looking to bolster development coaching the person who caught my eye was Nick Newman (currently with the Hawks). Fevola endorsed him as a senior coach in waiting so that is good enough for me ;)

Also if Hodge is going to do media next year then Evans should be pushing hard to get Hodge up 1 day a week in a consulting role to work with the leaders and our back line play makers to work with our coaching panel on structures and leadership. Hopefully by getting him in early we will be in pole position to land him in future years when he is ready to join the coaching ranks full-time.

I have no problem with wanting Rocket sacked but it's the repetitiveness of wanting to sack him and replace him with Solomon with no logic to back it up that's annoying. For me, i reckon it's worth waiting till the end of the year, anyway can happen this season

Come off it, this pigeonholing is crap. I write about plenty of other stuff. Good grief.

And you continue to misquote me, I want Solomon not as coach but as and read carefully.....concentrate now u can do it...
"caretaker coach"

Huge difference.

Now I'll go back to watching the reserve grade game

Come off it, this pigeonholing is crap. I write about plenty of other stuff. Good grief.

And you continue to misquote me, I want Solomon not as coach but as and read carefully.....concentrate now u can do it...
"caretaker coach"

Huge difference.

Now I'll go back to watching the reserve grade game
I never said it wasn't as caretaker. There is no need to speak that way.

Ok I'm back
apologies to any feelings I hurt and my stirring people up
It made me actually read the rules finally

I just watched the press Conference Rocket now has the Press So Hypnotized that the opening question was Rocket your excuse is that you lost Lyons and May and then Rocket freely indulged that door being opened. Can we rename the press room to the "it's no excuse but room"?

Well Rocket-how about the game plan? People around me go off their brain with the going backwards and excessive hand passing and invariably they make dicks of themselves and we turn it over in a diabolical position.
How about a plan B when it's pouring rain too rather than plan A which requires perfect execution.
Don't ask me though, ask everyone in the seats around me who tear their hair out every home game.

Getting close to beating a team below us on the ladder coached by a guy under the pump at home is not I repeat not good enough.

And my god do u have to smile and smirk at the start of press conferences after losses. Good God Sunshine-we are watching.

And how is it that we cannot ever win the hard ball on the ground. Change your drills, get out the mouth guards, I saw training on Tuesday, it's all at walking pace, it's all skills and there is nothing on tackling and winning one on one contests on the ground. No wonder we get bashed off the ball.

Anyway at fulltime I walked out the stadium and my fellow Suns fans were pretty disappointed and trudging off into the rain except for 3 people, Fiorini, Brodie and Shaw who were having a good old laugh as Collingwood's song blared out. Why should I be so disappointed in a loss at home if other listed players are all smiles at fulltime. Culture Rocket. Culture.

Other than that Rocket you are doing a great job.

As you said earlier this week, you feel like this is your first year coaching us.

Well I feel like I'm watching us as our first team just even as a club with you at the helm. It's like 2011-2016 never happened.

At least the Titans won tonight. They generally show up and tackle hard. So it's not all bad on the GC.

Over and Out.

Ok I'm back
apologies to any feelings I hurt and my stirring people up
It made me actually read the rules finally

I just watched the press Conference Rocket now has the Press So Hypnotized that the opening question was Rocket your excuse is that you lost Lyons and May and then Rocket freely indulged that door being opened. Can we rename the press room to the "it's no excuse but room"?

Well Rocket-how about the game plan? People around me go off their brain with the going backwards and excessive hand passing and invariably they make dicks of themselves and we turn it over in a diabolical position.
How about a plan B when it's pouring rain too rather than plan A which requires perfect execution.
Don't ask me though, ask everyone in the seats around me who tear their hair out every home game.

Getting close to beating a team below us on the ladder coached by a guy under the pump at home is not I repeat not good enough.

And my god do u have to smile and smirk at the start of press conferences after losses. Good God Sunshine-we are watching.

And how is it that we cannot ever win the hard ball on the ground. Change your drills, get out the mouth guards, I saw training on Tuesday, it's all at walking pace, it's all skills and there is nothing on tackling and winning one on one contests on the ground. No wonder we get bashed off the ball.

Anyway at fulltime I walked out the stadium and my fellow Suns fans were pretty disappointed and trudging off into the rain except for 3 people, Fiorini, Brodie and Shaw who were having a good old laugh as Collingwood's song blared out. Why should I be so disappointed in a loss at home if other listed players are all smiles at fulltime. Culture Rocket. Culture.

Other than that Rocket you are doing a great job.

As you said earlier this week, you feel like this is your first year coaching us.

Well I feel like I'm watching us as our first team just even as a club with you at the helm. It's like 2011-2016 never happened.

At least the Titans won tonight. They generally show up and tackle hard. So it's not all bad on the GC.

Over and Out.

To serious. Not enough melt down. Instant Red Card

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Others posted this week that Witts, Lyons, Barlow and a fit Hanley were definite improvements to our list and were AFL ready players. I think that's where Eade has made a difference (recruiting) and with discipline. Unfortunately he had a horror run with injuries and poor discipline for the first 2 years. He also had a list full of cloggers that for some reason were getting contract extensions despite never showing enough.
This year I would've loved to have seen some real improvement and consistency but I don't know what to make of it. Wins against good sides, poor efforts against lesser teams.
I really don't know anymore if it's the coach, his assistants, the recruiting, our list management or player development. It's probably a mixture of all 5. It can't keep going on this way though. Too many players not up to AFL standard & not improving and younger players not progressing as quickly as other clubs. As Iva said, it's now just a draining experience watching us play. Evans is a pro, so there is some hope.

To me Eade's coaching period has mirrored that of McKenna (other than the improved off field culture ) - so who is at fault ?
Evans needs to find the common denominators and maybe eliminate them.
Too many players granted elite status - others thrown on the scrapheap . A team list is 42 - but not at Gold Coast...

The issue for me is that we have not really shown the signs of improvement over the course of the season that Im assuming the board would have wanted to see. Look back at the QClash in round 1 how we came in and conceded 9? goals in the first quarter before waking up. We are still giving up big first quarters, or only being in the game for quarters or halves. We know exactly what we are going to get in terms of effort and tackling. Rocket/the coaching staff have finally realised that 300 handballs per game does not get us anywhere when 180 of them are turnovers or put us in more trouble, which is pleasing but the gameplan is still all over the place and when we are getting beat we rarely change things up or try something new. Our deficiencies are still glaring and we don't seem to have an answer to overcome them and tighten up, or we just don't want to answer them. As others have said player development is probably not up to the level that we were hoping/expecting. I just can't see the areas in which we have improved or worked on which we can point to as a sign of progression.

Now I don't know how much of this falls solely on Rockets shoulders and Im sure Evans will find out who is/is not pulling their weight, but I mean you wouldn't have thought that these would be in Rockets favour at the least. Its all just super dissapointing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back