News Coaching staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
First Leppa announces he's moving on, and now it seems Hawthorn has poached Fly :(

Wouldn't surprise me if North considers Kingsley for their coaching position too.

Hopefully we've got some decent replacements lined up. Fresh ideas are always good, but I don't like losing too many at once.

Dean Solomon come on down.
Or with the soft cap reduction it might just be status quo.
2 gone none in.

I herd Kingsley yesterday gez he speaks well knows his footy.Highly rated to.Dont want to lose him.
Dimma gave him a lot of credit for our sudden improvement in winning stoppages last night too.

He's a good example of the benefits of bringing in new coaches with fresh ideas.

Leppa is the big out for me. He transformed our back line and the way our defenders play one v one. He has been like a second senior coach for us and Dimmas right hand man. He’ll be a huge loss.

Fly has grown in our system. He is a good development coach but I don’t feel he is as big a loss as Leppa.

Ultimately, we’ve lost a lot of quality coaches over the last few years, yet we keep grooming new ones. New coaches bring new ideas. They allows us to continue to evolve.

Wee are as much a destination club for assistant coaches as we are with players. The soft cap squeeze has forced some changes to our coaching fraternity but there will be plenty eager to take their place.

After all, we are the club everyone else aspires to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It is disturbing to have lost so many of the coaching staff over the last few years. But the process seems to just keep rolling on...so far. Fly seemed particularly good. Must see opportunity at Hawthorn which doesn't exist for him at Richmond. Maybe one of the newer assistants has moved ahead of him in the pecking order. Or maybe he's just one of those 5 year people. Hard to begrudge any of them after being a part of so much success for the club. I was sure that Caracella must have made the difference...and I look very wrong about that now...which I'm happy to be...happier actually.

Good luck fly and thanks for the time and effort put into the club. What a career so far.

this is what happens when you’re good. You develop people. You attract talent which makes you better and you make them better. All good organisations do this.

not a bad career path as a coach to learn off dimma and then spend some time with clarko.

No not Craig McRae! I liked what he did with our VFL side.

Was probably only a matter of time though. You can only hide a good coach for so long before others become aware of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there any seasoned assistants out there? While it would be great to get guys like Rance/Lids/newman, i dont neccessarlity think they are the best options

fly has given a lot of service and has done a marvelous job as a development and vfl coach.

however our forwardline has been a complete shambles this year. preferably he would have moved sideways but nonetheless im excited to see what someone else can do.

cheers for the service fly.

I feel the biggest problem with Fly going, is apart from Dimma, he would have the next greatest ip about this team, having been the VFL head coach.
More so than Leppa as a line coach.
It's interesting that Clarko feels that will be useful for him, when he's best mates with Dimma. He must really be the vault.
Or it could just be that Fly is such an outstanding candidate.
And now that Geelong are through, we'll probably get a better insight into just how good a football brain Grigga really has.
However, in 2016, who would have thought we were about to have such a great 4 years. Especially in an 18 team comp. Every dynasty has to come to an end sometime. We'll soon see if the time is now, or next season (and happy to see the great sliding doors shot his load prematurely :)).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back