News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

On top of Hattotuwa’s departure, it’s understood that two of Don Pyke’s assistant coaches, Josh Francou and Tate Kaesler, have also told the club of their desire to leave.

Kaesler is set to join Gold Coast, while Francou is still contracted at Adelaide for another two seasons.

Is this the crows saying we want some cash back thanks ?
Maybe asking for pick 2/3 again from Adelaide fan.

I think Sam Mitchell doing the same isn't it .

I see Tex Walker has come out today and claimed Josh Francou is leaving the crows this season but said he wouldn’t be coming to the Suns, he said he has lost passion for coaching and was planning on going back to his teaching career? Interesting to see what happens

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he has lost his passion then he shouldn’t fit right in

Just read on the Crows board that Francou wants to come but AFC have said no, hence the 'leaving to return to teaching' story

Just read on the Crows board that Francou wants to come but AFC have said no, hence the 'leaving to return to teaching' story
So what he leaves for teaching
then changes his mind and decides to sign with us afterwards?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we jumped on Garlett and Krakcouer for doing the same thing which would make us hippocrites.
yeah, i was just trying to work out his end game.
wouldn't be a good look for him to quit hs job move cities and then take up with a rival.
I'm sure there would be something outlawing that in his contract.

yeah, i was just trying to work out his end game.
wouldn't be a good look for him to quit hs job move cities and then take up with a rival.
I'm sure there would be something outlawing that in his contract.
These assistant coaches contracts usually have a get out clause they can invoke when it involves advancing their careers. We just give him a fancy job title like “senior chief assistant coach” that trumps Adelaide’s “assistant coach” title and away he goes.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...t/news-story/8a3bc942e035b5b90dddd3efdcb4833e

GOLD Coast’s bold footy revamp has gone into overdrive with the recruitment of a former Lions player.

Matthew Kennedy spent five years at the club as strength and conditioning coach between 2010 and 2015 working in the high performance department and will now re-join Gold Coast through its player welfare division, to be headed by Shaun Hart.

It’s a completely new role for the former Brisbane Lions player who has spent recent seasons working as a strength and conditioning coach for the Southport Sharks NEAFL team.

It is understood Gold Coast are also in talks with former North Melbourne captain Andrew Swallow, who retired at the end of the 2017 season and moved to Byron Bay, about taking on a position at the club where his brother David plays.

Southport Sharks head coach Stephen Daniel said the club was disappointed to lose Kennedy but backed him to succeed in his new role at the Suns.

“He is a man of terrific character,” Daniel said.

“He will be missed at Southport but it’s another great opportunity in a new role for him and I wish him all the best.

“He is very well respected here at the Sharks and is a quality person.”

Gold Coast have announced a raft of changes to its staff in recent days, with former Brisbane Lions defender Josh Drummond coming on board as an assistant coach while Adelaide defensive coach Tate Kaesler has accepted a position as a development coach.

Physiotherapist Alex Rigby has been elevated to high-performance manager while the club has axed football department members Russell Butler and Andy Lovell, high performance manager Justin Cordy and assistant coach Matthew Primus.

Not a bad ploy bringing in guys who found success in Queensland.
Hart, Kennedy, Drummond would have all been around during somewhat successful periods for the lions.
Can provide first hand experience to our guys.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...t/news-story/8a3bc942e035b5b90dddd3efdcb4833e

GOLD Coast’s bold footy revamp has gone into overdrive with the recruitment of a former Lions player.

Matthew Kennedy spent five years at the club as strength and conditioning coach between 2010 and 2015 working in the high performance department and will now re-join Gold Coast through its player welfare division, to be headed by Shaun Hart.

It’s a completely new role for the former Brisbane Lions player who has spent recent seasons working as a strength and conditioning coach for the Southport Sharks NEAFL team.

It is understood Gold Coast are also in talks with former North Melbourne captain Andrew Swallow, who retired at the end of the 2017 season and moved to Byron Bay, about taking on a position at the club where his brother David plays.

Southport Sharks head coach Stephen Daniel said the club was disappointed to lose Kennedy but backed him to succeed in his new role at the Suns.

“He is a man of terrific character,” Daniel said.

“He will be missed at Southport but it’s another great opportunity in a new role for him and I wish him all the best.

“He is very well respected here at the Sharks and is a quality person.”

Gold Coast have announced a raft of changes to its staff in recent days, with former Brisbane Lions defender Josh Drummond coming on board as an assistant coach while Adelaide defensive coach Tate Kaesler has accepted a position as a development coach.

Physiotherapist Alex Rigby has been elevated to high-performance manager while the club has axed football department members Russell Butler and Andy Lovell, high performance manager Justin Cordy and assistant coach Matthew Primus.
I'm in two minds about bringing Maxy Kennedy back. On the one hand I like the fact that he's a local guy (Surfers and Southport junior) and we're continuing to build the local/family feel at the club but on the other hand I'm cautious about bringing back someone who worked for us during an unsuccessful period, particularly one that worked in the high performance department when you would never describe what we were doing back then as 'high performance'. Having said that, perhaps he was a victim of the terrible facilities we possessed at the time?

Anyway, a player welfare role may be better suited to Maxy given he's essentially lived here his whole life (moved to the GC at 8 years old). I can't remember who said it but I recently heard someone talk about the importance of recruiting locals to your club because they already have existing networks/resources and that allow players/employees from interstate to access those networks/resources through the locals at the club. It basically makes the transition a lot easier for anyone who didn't grow up here and increases the club's chances of retaining players. If you think back to when the Bears were based here on the Gold Coast, there were hardly any locals on the list and their retention rate was awful but that started to change in the mid-90s with an injection of talented locals like Vossy, Aker, Mal Michael etc and their retention rate of interstate players improved significantly over the next 10 year period while those locals were there. So I think there is merit to creating a local/family feel at the club.

I definitely like the idea of bringing in Andrew Swallow. Obviously there's the connection with Dave but he was a very accomplished player at North and (perhaps more importantly) was an outstanding leader during a successful period for them. He captained the Kangaroos in those years where they were competing in preliminary finals so obviously his communication skills are very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back