News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Stewie has certainly left his mark after this trade period. Every single player who has reportedly had issues with him or the game plan has been chopped. A line in the sand i doubt many players would be willing to cross now.
If we start to win then I think you are right and players will fall into line, if we continue to be smashed then disagreeing appears to be an easy out where we will sell you to whoever you want for magic beans

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
there is also a narrative at the club that Lyons was the opposite of Barlow in he never gave of himself to the club or the other players, more of a show up do your thing and leave type guy which made it easier for them to move him on, I thought he has a key player for us until Dew and he crossed swords, yes he hacks it on the boot as soon as he gets the pils but at least it was going towards our end and not getting spread on the outside by the oppo
i remember him seemingly always kicking some clutch goals around stoppages at key times in some matches too

Anyway the guys have been decisive and clinical and their necks are squarely in the noose now to own the outcome, lets back them in and go for the ride
I agree, they have moulded the club and playing list and now is needs to start improving. The only problem is if it’s a disaster then move on and we as supporters have to live with the mess

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I agree, they have moulded the club and playing list and now is needs to start improving. The only problem is if it’s a disaster then move on and we as supporters have to live with the mess
The problem is if you dont try it , you never know it is disaster or not .

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Still talking about salary cap pain?
Surely after Lynch and Mays million each..
Hall and KKs 500

And Scrims 300-450

And now Lyons our salary cap is under the magic number

Someone better tell me quick smart Lemmens Schoenfield and Nicholls aint on more then 350k a year or i’m going to lose it.
You’d think Lyons would’ve been on around $450k if Scrim was being paid such a ridiculous amount for a kid when he’d done nothing to earn it.
Who are the big FAs coming off contract next year that we’ll be having a crack at?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
You’d think Lyons would’ve been on around $450k if Scrim was being paid such a ridiculous amount for a kid when he’d done nothing to earn it.
Who are the big FAs coming off contract next year that we’ll be having a crack at?
Stephen Coniglio (GWS Giants)

Nick Haynes (GWS Giants)

Adam Tomlinson (GWS Giants)

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I thought Lyons was on a very very small salary. 300k, maybe. But the club being so keen to have him off the books (they would not have delisted him if his team wouldn't void/null the existing contract) suggests it was higher. Maybe around 500?

My only question is what was Clayton's plan around this going forward if he was still here? It would have all just imploded.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
No chance for the Bont either. Think we need to set our sights lower and be realistic. Would rather 2 x B/B+ graders than a super expensive A grader.
TBH , I think going for b grade FA next year are a bit early , why not have a look at what Dew and Co trying to build before looking elsewhere . Touk Miller , 2MP , Swallow, Ah Chee ,Martin all out of contract . No point recycling B,B+ players with 5 in and 5 out like this year . Until out of contract resigned GCS always going to be feeder for other club .

Last edited:

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
The Suns currently have no A-graders. Lynch & May were both A-grade. Hanley may have been a few years ago. I didn't watch Brisbane often, but he looked A-grade against us. I'm not sure he can get back to that level. We have quite a few young blokes (Jack Martin & younger), who are potential A-graders.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Suns currently have no A-graders. Lynch & May were both A-grade. Hanley may have been a few years ago. I didn't watch Brisbane often, but he looked A-grade against us. I'm not sure he can get back to that level. We have quite a few young blokes (Jack Martin & younger), who are potential A-graders.
If GCS end up wooden spoon I think Martin and Ah Chee will go to other club next year .

Last edited:

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hanleys a dark horse if we can keep him on the park next year we haven't really had any real upside from him yet and he has plenty of that to give if he is healthy and confident - apparently one of THE best club men as well around the boys

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Don’t think ahchee is going to leave us unless pushed tbh, didn’t he just build a new house with his GC based misiss?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lachie Weller build a house in Perth also before moving back to GC . Money talk this day . Push or like Lyons,Scrimshaw , KK you end up developing a player for no nothing .

Back