News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Lyons situation was not due to Salary Cap pressures. I think that is obvious to everyone. What it has done is give management more wriggle room and sink our Total Player Payments down toward 95%, which gives us the capacity to go after a big fish next year and the year after. I don't know how large his contract was, only that it was a lot more than Adelaide's offer and that details of its amount and length were the murkiest on the Suns list. That said, the Lions have offered at least as much and for longer, otherwise the Suns would have to be paying part of his 2019 salary and there's just no way that's happening.

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say his salary had incentives and because he hit most of them he's come out with a pretty good deal, both from the Suns and what his manager was able to wring out of the Lions. He's a mercenary who was able to cobble a reasonable resume together at the Crows, then put in a couple of dominant seasons in a developing midfield (albeit with 2 coaches, the 2nd of whom saw straight through him) and now he's got his career contract at Brisbane. For them, and the lazy southern media, it appears to be a huge win, but really it is just a symptom of Brisbane's mediocrity. Watch as Lyons makes zero difference to the Lions onfield performance and adds only to their depth overall. We play the Lions twice in the AFL and 4 times in the NEAFL: how many times will he face us?

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Hanleys a dark horse if we can keep him on the park next year we haven't really had any real upside from him yet and he has plenty of that to give if he is healthy and confident - apparently one of THE best club men as well around the boys
When Hanley joined us, he said something along the lines of "I'm excited to be joining a team with the best key forward (Lynch), best key defender (May) & best midfielder (Ablett) in the League". 2 years later & things have changed a bit around here, but Hanley could still be a very good player for us, if his body holds up.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Interesting as you would assume the Lions are paying him good coin too, with all there young guns and Lachie Neale you would have to assume their caps is tight also.
A bit lighter after Beams left - probably had some cash to splash if they had already front loaded the young blokes and Neale

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Beams was heavily front loaded. A bit like Ablett. After collecting most money - gone.
I don't think anyone should really judge Beams. He came to Brisbane to be closer to his Dad and Brother. His Dad died and his Brother got delisted. Kinda extinguished his reasons for sticking around. I doubt whether he really thought that the Lions could improve enough in the next few years to contend and Collingwood is smack dab in the Premiership window again. Both clubs handled things with class. Now the Lions have the Lyons brothers instead and everyone's happy, including us because the Lions are still just mediocre.

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Stephen Coniglio (GWS Giants)

Nick Haynes (GWS Giants)

Adam Tomlinson (GWS Giants)

Just why would one of those want to come to the Gold Coast after the way players from other clubs have been treated?

I moaned about Barlows treatment this year and now with Lyons being shown the Dew door there is not much more to be said.
Of course someone who in 2018 is No.1 at the Suns for clearances, No.1 for contested possessions, No.2 for average disposals, No.3 for tackles and No.3 for inside 50s, well they need to be dropped and for 2019 is certainly not what Dew and the Suns need!
And of course that explains why it took another team so long to pick up Lyons!

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have not missed a single Suns game either live or televised since our inception
I promise you I never saw J Lyons do anything remotely close to elite in his time at the Club
B grade with B+ potential

Of course nothing like elite but then when this season you are No.1 at the Suns for clearances, as well as No.1 for contested possessions, No.2 for average disposals, No.3 for tackles and No.3 for inside 50s you are clearly not what the Sun or Dew needs.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just why would one of those want to come to the Gold Coast after the way players from other clubs have been treated?

I moaned about Barlows treatment this year and now with Lyons being shown the Dew door there is not much more to be said.
Of course someone who in 2018 is No.1 at the Suns for clearances, No.1 for contested possessions, No.2 for average disposals, No.3 for tackles and No.3 for inside 50s, well they need to be dropped and for 2019 is certainly not what Dew and the Suns need!
And of course that explains why it took another team so long to pick up Lyons!
Money ? Lyons come for money and he knew that staying with GCS for another year he will end up like Barlow playing in NEAFL and out of the door in a year . lyons situation is just like Mayne the only thing different Mayne got a longer contract and willing to stayed to prove himself and Lyons choose to go for 3 years contract playing for Brisbane . Who know what behind close doors, he might ask GCs rediculous kind of money and length to extend his contract . No point keeping a player for one year .You need to know that Club need players commitment no point having No 1 knowing he going to leave next year .

Last edited:

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
I don't think anyone should really judge Beams. He came to Brisbane to be closer to his Dad and Brother. His Dad died and his Brother got delisted. Kinda extinguished his reasons for sticking around. I doubt whether he really thought that the Lions could improve enough in the next few years to contend and Collingwood is smack dab in the Premiership window again. Both clubs handled things with class. Now the Lions have the Lyons brothers instead and everyone's happy, including us because the Lions are still just mediocre.
The Pies had to cough up a fair price as they demanded a fair price when he left for extenuating circumstances.

The AFL should outlaw the front loading of contracts until the clubs have the power to trade players in contract without a player's permission.

The NBA don't allow the front loading of multi year contracts and teams need to adhere to a consistent scale that actually increases each year.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

It's pro sport
Rules don't apply and egos rule
You need to move on
There's a new king on the throne at Metricon
This admin would not have picked up Barlow or Lyons
The slaves have been getting buried with Pharaoh for a long long time

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Every single Coach I have heard speak about delistings say that it is the hardest part of the job. Given this is Dew's first year, I'd say this is going to be as hardest as it's going to get for him. No doubt he'd be uncomfortable. Probably doesn't quite know what to say or how to say it at this point in his career. To not be would be a bit strange unless you're a seasoned vet like Clarko.

Agree with ST above. Moving Lonergan on was the right call. Continually gunning it at 2s level, then injured himself whenever he got the callup to AFL level. And then rarely made an impact there. This has been the case for a number of years now.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Every single Coach I have heard speak about delistings say that it is the hardest part of the job. Given this is Dew's first year, I'd say this is going to be as hardest as it's going to get for him. No doubt he'd be uncomfortable. Probably doesn't quite know what to say or how to say it at this point in his career. To not be would be a bit strange unless you're a seasoned vet like Clarko.

Agree with ST above. Moving Lonergan on was the right call. Continually gunning it at 2s level, then injured himself whenever he got the callup to AFL level. And then rarely made an impact there. This has been the case for a number of years now.
If any of Scheer, Wigg or Leslie get poached in the Draft before we can re-rookie them, Jesse should get a reprieve. He played really well when given the opportunity this year, which really has to be acknowledged.

He played a solid role in the Brisbane win at the Gabba without being outstanding.

He played very well in Adelaide, but injured himself and missed the middle of the season.

He was outstanding in the NEAFL and really combined well with Brodie, including games where Barlow didn't play because of his injuries that the Lonergan/Brodie combination looked like an AFL midfield.

If he didn't play the way he did against Sydney, we wouldn't have been in that game at halftime let alone winners at fulltime. He and Brodie made the difference to the Suns midfield, Jesse smothering Kennedy while Will accumulated possessions.

In the Carlton loss, Lonners and Spitta were on top in the middle until Cripps knocked out Davey and Jesse's impact was severely diminished because he had to tag Cripps. afl.com.au named only 4 players in the best on ground for the Suns and Lonergan was one of them. Up to the point Swallow was concussed, Jesse had 5 clearances and 13 possessions, and finished with 22 touches and 7 clearances after moving into a tagging role.

In the Melbourne game Lonergan was integral to the midfield winning the contest at the stoppages, which was a weakness for the unit all year. He won a team high 5 stoppages on a day where Witts won the head to head with Gawn but the Suns were outmatched everywhere else on the field after Wright's injury ended all chances of victory in the first quarter.

It sounds like a thin resume, which it is, yet the case has to be made for Lonergan's future as an AFL player. I could see him playing AFL footy in 2019, but if he needs to go back to State League I hope he goes to Southport because it will keep him under the eye of the club and give him a chance at getting back on the list if he can remain injury free. 60 games for the Suns is more than enough to show his value to the club and I wish him all the best.

Back