News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending how many are in the exit meeting, he would have seen it all before at Sydney.
Unless he wants to be Ross Lyon and conduct his exit meetings alone lol
Not really an exit meeting. Like most players, he'd have had his exit meetings weeks ago. Lyons had his exit meeting at an unusual time before he was contracted, had undergone surgery during the break and was due to get married and go for a honeymoon around now. About a month ago the Wigg and Scheer delistings got leaked, so their exit meetings would have been early October, maybe even during September.

Lonergan and Leslie would have been before that because they were coming out of contract. I imagine the original meeting might have been something like "Jesse, we're cleaning out the roster to bring in some new players and your spot isn't guaranteed. Do you want us to shop you around?" To which he's like "I come from Tasmania, so there's no going home. I want to stay here." There would have been a long break while the trade period played out and then a list management guy would have called with the bad news.

Dew's gesture here seems to be a genuine attempt to pass on his advice. They are not dissimilar players, with Dew playing 42 SANFL matches in his career, which is more State level games than Lonergan. Dew had 2 career crossroads, once when he was dropped to SANFL and played for Centrals in their inaugural Grand Final and came back firing for Port the next season, then again when he came out of AFL retirement. He's doubtless had plenty of players at Sydney come to him in the offseason to talk about retirement, delisting and all sorts of stuff. I like him more after hearing this story.

Of course nothing like elite but then when this season you are No.1 at the Suns for clearances, as well as No.1 for contested possessions, No.2 for average disposals, No.3 for tackles and No.3 for inside 50s you are clearly not what the Sun or Dew needs.
You know football is a mental game dont you? Just watch lyons in any suns games this year and you can see he was below par. These stats you and the rest of social media keep rattling on about only show attacking football. Something under 10's do. The only thing stopping an AFL footballer run 2 ways and do the 1 percenters is attitude. Lyons was 30th at the club for 1% this season avg 1.11 per game. Not good enough. I wont say hes a bad player i actually rate him but it seems his attitude in a consistently losing side with a new coach who emphasizes defence and hard work not attack and flair hampered his enjoyment of the game. In an attacking team like brisbane im sure he'd thrive.

You know football is a mental game dont you? Just watch lyons in any suns games this year and you can see he was below par. These stats you and the rest of social media keep rattling on about only show attacking football. Something under 10's do. The only thing stopping an AFL footballer run 2 ways and do the 1 percenters is attitude. Lyons was 30th at the club for 1% this season avg 1.11 per game. Not good enough. I wont say hes a bad player i actually rate him but it seems his attitude in a consistently losing side with a new coach who emphasizes defence and hard work not attack and flair hampered his enjoyment of the game. In an attacking team like brisbane im sure he'd thrive.
I maintained all year that his foot injury was behind his mediocre year, beginning with the Bulldogs game in Round 7 where he was a passenger. I still stand by it, as he had surgery on the foot in September while all his mates were in Bali or wherever. However, in hindsight you can see that his attitude was a barometer for how poorly the team was travelling. Perhaps this was exacerbated by playing through a painful foot injury or he's just accustomed to winning.

But how about some damning stats?
- Worst goalkicking percentage at the Suns since Sean Lemmens with 17.23 (7.15 in 2018)
- well down on his career marking, contested marking, inside 50 marking average
- clangers up from 2 to 4 a game
- poor on 1%, as pointed out by SunnerSS, but he has always been poor in this category.

Stats don't lie, but you can cherry pick anything you like to make the case. Clearly the Club has chosen to cut bait because he refused to work on the negative aspects of his game and he has chosen to go where they will sing him a sweeter song.

Told him worst case scenario go to l/S league. Kill it and then get redrafted etc.
I felt like a real douche listening in.

Hope it works out this way for Jesse.

In the real world however, worst case scenario is he goes to SANFL, does well but doesn't get re-drafted. 4 years later as a 28 years old realising his AFL dream is over and needing to find a new career.
Would be so tough on guys like this. Feel for them!
First round draft picks probably think they will have a 10 year AFL career, earn 3 million plus in that time and come out with a reputation enabling them to jump into their next career.

From 2005 - 2008 about 30% of players drafted in the first round didn't make it past 125 games / 10 years in the comp.

Guys like Andrejs Everett, Rhys Palmer, Matthew Lobbe by no means stars but ended up in the system for about 10 years, played about 100 games despite being moved on to a second or even third clubs.

Hope for Jesse to find himself back in the competition again.

Hope it works out this way for Jesse.

In the real world however, worst case scenario is he goes to SANFL, does well but doesn't get re-drafted. 4 years later as a 28 years old realising his AFL dream is over and needing to find a new career.
Would be so tough on guys like this. Feel for them!
First round draft picks probably think they will have a 10 year AFL career, earn 3 million plus in that time and come out with a reputation enabling them to jump into their next career.

From 2005 - 2008 about 30% of players drafted in the first round didn't make it past 125 games / 10 years in the comp.

Guys like Andrejs Everett, Rhys Palmer, Matthew Lobbe by no means stars but ended up in the system for about 10 years, played about 100 games despite being moved on to a second or even third clubs.

Hope for Jesse to find himself back in the competition again.
Dew said to go to SANFL. He said to look at Clubs with a tagger deficiency in an attempt to get drafted this year in the AFL.

Dew said to go to SANFL. He said to look at Clubs with a tagger deficiency in an attempt to get drafted this year in the AFL.
SANFL would make sense and there is certainly a lot of media coverage. VFL games don't pull crowds and players are regarded as semi-pro with clubs on a $500K salary cap. SANFL average wage is $59K. Jesse wouldn't be loaded either as the minimum player payments have only recently been bumped up. He won't be scratching for coin, but he'd be well short of any sort of nest egg.

Murdoch and his wife 'blown away' by Stewie Dew and staff presentation to him. That's good at least.

Blown away that one week ago he got his marching orders from Geelong and now he has a 3 year deal.

Hopefully Dew can do the same with new draftees.

Blown away that one week ago he got his marching orders from Geelong and now he has a 3 year deal.

Hopefully Dew can do the same with new draftees.
You know you're not quite awake when you spend 5 minutes trying to work out why Dew was doing a presentation to Rupert Murdoch. Thanks for this response, made things so much clearer.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Coach Dew has been enormous and put life into our club with a young list devoid of top grade star players.....HOWEVER, I get the impression that with some of you the honeymoon is over with Coach Dew.

In Dew I trust.
I'd say one more year to get them off the bottom 4 or should look for one of the really strong coaches or bring in mentor to guide him forward.

I hope you guys hold steady and give Dew a while to build something. I actually think the worst period is behind you now, regardless of any individual bad days that might come.

When the blowouts do happen I think they are more around the youth of the squad coping with the level required rather than anything else. The team is well coached and staying in games defensively until they just run out of legs and get over-run. There is some great young talent, just very young, plus Buderick and another high end pick to come next year. A good trade or two might also help. The group just needs time now.

I think Dew can provide a sense of stability and continuity for the next couple of years.

I hope you guys hold steady and give Dew a while to build something. I actually think the worst period is behind you now, regardless of any individual bad days that might come.

When the blowouts do happen I think they are more around the youth of the squad coping with the level required rather than anything else. The team is well coached and staying in games defensively until they just run out of legs and get over-run. There is some great young talent, just very young, plus Buderick and another high end pick to come next year. A good trade or two might also help. The group just needs time now.

I think Dew can provide a sense of stability and continuity for the next couple of years.

If only the fans will stay stable too. Harden up.

Dew clearly has many positives.
I worry that he seems so one track minded.
Hope that means he can evaluate his own performance and adjust where necessary because clearly no-one can get everything right, especially first time around.
Having this Mentor that Thurls speaks of would be a valuable way to ensure this critical aspect of coaching and leadership happens.
I'd say that is a Mark Evans initiative.

There's clear improvement in most, if not all of our young players. Give the bloke a chance.
He has set standards and demands everyone meets them regardless of who you are. He's not going to be everyone's mate on the list.
Chris Scott operates exactly the same way as does Clarkson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back