News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hmmmmmm
Heard more grumbling about the IT guy Dew brought from Sydney from a deep insider
If you were wondering about some of the odd selections this year.............
Makes me think we need a veteran Director of Coaching to control some of these coaching excesses

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Hmmmmmm
Heard more grumbling about the IT guy Dew brought from Sydney from a deep insider
Makes me think we need a veteran Director of Coaching to control some of these coaching excesses
Interesting
Seems like a few analytics based selections instead of actual football eye test selections.
I'm all for analytics. They have to be used in the right way though.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Interesting
Seems like a few analytics based selections instead of actual football eye test selections.
I'm all for analytics. They have to be used in the right way though.
I'm less enthusiastic about an IT/Svengali type
If the Coach and Match committee are interpreting the data that's fine , but if they're just reflexing on what Mr Techno-ego tells them then Houston we have a problem, like a 100 point thrashing every week problem

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I'm less enthusiastic about an IT/Svengali type
If the Coach and Match committee are interpreting the data that's fine , but if they're just reflexing on what Mr Techno-ego tells them then Houston we have a problem, like a 100 point thrashing every week problem

In basketball or baseball when the game is so much narrower - the value of analytics is so much higher.
In an 18 man a side game with so much variability, it shouldn't be used as a direct comparison.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hmmmmmm
Something needs to change quick smart or Dew is gone.

The club just need to go out and get Paul Roos or someone on the same level weather Dew like it or not.

We need someone in the coaches box that can throw up different ideas and not be afraid to challenge Dew.

It will only make him better in the long run.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The club just need to go out and get Paul Roos or someone on the same level weather Dew like it or not.

We need someone in the coaches box that can throw up different ideas and not be afraid to challenge Dew.

Our Coach is doing a fine job.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Our Coach is doing a fine job.
If he was doing a fine job Bods the club wouldn’t be looking for someone to help him.

In my opinion the person they bring in to help Dew as coaching director (or whatever they will call the role) will actually be the clubs preferred coach going forward.

We will have to wait and see I guess

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Roos is excellent and loves the GC but he's very excited by the $$$ and wants too much of it.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Roos is excellent and loves the GC but he's very excited by the $$$ and wants too much of it.
Well if the AFL want us to be successful they have the money to make it happen.

Roos said during the year that he was open to helping the Suns out but no one has made contact with him.
He was basically telling the club on live tv come and get me I want to help

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well if the AFL want us to be successful they have the money to make it happen.

Roos said during the year that he was open to helping the Suns out but no one has made contact with him.
He was basically telling the club on live tv come and get me I want to help
Was that the IV where he said the GC is the best place in Australia for a young player to come and he would be lining up if he had his time again.?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If he was doing a fine job Bods the club wouldn’t be looking for someone to help him.

In my opinion the person they bring in to help Dew as coaching director (or whatever they will call the role) will actually be the clubs preferred coach going forward.

Or you could say that the board asked Evans to initiate contract extension because Dew is doing fine job. Depending on personal view (I think I know yours). You don't extend and send him to leadership course while at the same time planning to replace him. Coaching director usually does not take over, senior assistants do. I am sure Dew is not perfect and is learning as he goes. Extra wise head above coaches does not hurt.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Was that the IV where he said the GC is the best place in Australia for a young player to come and he would be lining up if he had his time again.?
He’s has said it multiple times on the couch when talking about the Suns and on radio triple m last year and 3aw this year

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

With the list he’s got and the injuries he’s doing brilliantly. Not forgetting he’s got a heap of players to stay committed.

Back