News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Place me in the one more year for Rocket camp. Even if 2017 finishes as somewhat underwhelming, I really believe the blame for 2015/16 lies elsewhere — be it dumb luck, 'McKenna' training standards, fitness staff, or some combination of those. To cut and run on Eade is slightly harsh and wouldn't really gain much at this point.

Having said that, I'd grab Clarkson IF he was keen for a change. Clarkson needs to be the one motivated to come, it shouldn't be us trying to convince him with $$$. The presence of a four-time premiership coach would/should inspire a killer drive for success in our guys that we haven't seen as yet, and would be worth it based on that alone.

Place me in the one more year for Rocket camp. Even if 2017 finishes as somewhat underwhelming, I really believe the blame for 2015/16 lies elsewhere — be it dumb luck, 'McKenna' training standards, fitness staff, or some combination of those. To cut and run on Eade is slightly harsh and wouldn't really gain much at this point.

Having said that, I'd grab Clarkson IF he was keen for a change. Clarkson needs to be the one motivated to come, it shouldn't be us trying to convince him with $$$. The presence of a four-time premiership coach would/should inspire a killer drive for success in our guys that we haven't seen as yet, and would be worth it based on that alone.
Exactly my thinking.

Stuey Dew will be getting toey for a senior gig
They're drying up a bit
Cannot see Bucks going next year
If Clarkson did come to Metricon, and that's not a massive stretch given Evans and the development of a decent list he may have a shot at the Hawks
Otherwise he'll be thinking he's the next Chocco Royal
Always the bridesmaid never the bride

They're drying up a bit
If Clarkson did come to Metricon, and that's not a massive stretch given Evans and the development of a decent list he may have a shot at the Hawks

If Clarkson is so ruthless with how he coaches maybe he can be ruthless (and real) in knowing that the Hawks are 5 years away from contending again.

He may not have the stomach or the patience to go through another long rebuild when there may be more security (aka AFL money ala Paul Roos at the Demons) and greater chance of success at a team with talent ready for him to mold and develop.

Qualified AFL assistant coaches would be lined up around the corner to join Clarko and get his seal of approval before getting a senior coaching job (see Simpson, Beveridge, Bolton, Fagan, Hardwick).

Not that he doesn't already have a massive legacy but he could do a Barassi and be the person who turns around an AFL outpost into an AFL powerhouse.

They're drying up a bit
my mail is he will only move for a head role and one with us would do it

my mail is he will only move for a head role and one with us would do it

Half of me would be very hesitant to travel down the non-tried at senior level coach path again... but the other half would be bloody excited to unearth the next multiple winning premiership coach.

As long as the leadership group is involved in the discussion to a certain degree I'm confident the right decision will be made.

We have just had a lot of our top players re-sign under Rocket. Need to make sure their on board with any change.

We have just had a lot of our top players re-sign under Rocket.

I wouldn't underestimate this. I'd be very worried about losing one or two nice players if the club goes for an untried coach. Rocket seems to have had their confidence well enough for a swag of re-signings, and I'm not sure Stuart Dew showing up repays that faith.

Clarkson on the other hand...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This talk of Rocket being under pressure needs to be put to bed... Evans needs to come out and support his position..
Any Coach needs a clear run at it before they get axed..
You can't judge Eade on wins and losses.. He has never had anywhere near a full side for anything like an extended period..
What you can judge him on is how he has cleaned up the mess McKenna left this club in, in very quick time..
6 months ago when everyone was calling us a basket case, 4 very good players came here from other clubs, Jack Martin, Tommy Lynch, Dave Swallow and a host of others signed on to lead the charge..
We have 5 new elite rookies, give them a chance to mature and gel before we start judging Rocket on results..
I would be more than happy to give Rocket a year's extention tomorrow and then judge at the end of next year...
Eade has had two years to get the list and culture he requires, now based on how well he has done in that regard, he deserves another two years to turn it around on the field... I would bet that no other Coach in the history of the game would have done better than Rocket has done thus far under the same circumstances!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ashcroft appears out of his depth.

My confidence in MA has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride. At the moment I'm on a peak with so many contract re-signings.

Bit of slightly useless background info I was told a couple months ago during the CEO changeover.

While Mark Evans was still Footy Manager at the Hawks, he was also Ashcroft's mentor teaching him the tricks of the trade.

When Evans accepted the AFL headquarters role a few years later, he and the Hawks approached Ashcroft to take over the vacant Footy Manager role.

Ashcroft was extremely close to accepting, leaving the Suns and had his family ready to drop everything and move to Melbourne. But at the last hour decided against it and stayed with the Suns. And Fagan was appointed.

So in hindsight, Ashcroft missed out on 3 premierships at the Hawks and we would have had a different footy manager pulling the strings during our early turbulent years.

Like I said, a bit of useless trivia, if anything shows Evans and Ashcroft have a decent bond. How that will play out in the grand scheme of our club, who knows?!

My confidence in MA has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride. At the moment I'm on a peak with so many contract re-signings.

Bit of slightly useless background info I was told a couple months ago during the CEO changeover.

While Mark Evans was still Footy Manager at the Hawks, he was also Ashcroft's mentor teaching him the tricks of the trade.

When Evans accepted the AFL headquarters role a few years later, he and the Hawks approached Ashcroft to take over the vacant Footy Manager role.

Ashcroft was extremely close to accepting, leaving the Suns and had his family ready to drop everything and move to Melbourne. But at the last hour decided against it and stayed with the Suns. And Fagan was appointed.

So in hindsight, Ashcroft missed out on 3 premierships at the Hawks and we would have had a different footy manager pulling the strings during our early turbulent years.

Like I said, a bit of useless trivia, if anything shows Evans and Ashcroft have a decent bond. How that will play out in the grand scheme of our club, who knows?!
probably good as it will mean Evans can keep him under control

I think unless we can land Clarkson or someone else just as good we keep Eade. He obviously has the confidence of the players with so many re signings and his game plan works when we we turn up to play.
If we miss finals this year and they get rid of him, they better have a great replacement ready to sign.

I think unless we can land Clarkson or someone else just as good we keep Eade. He obviously has the confidence of the players with so many re signings and his game plan works when we we turn up to play.
If we miss finals this year and they get rid of him, they better have a great replacement ready to sign.
To me that sounds like 2014 all over again when we got rid of McKenna after just missing the finals. Although i agreed with the decision because of the off-field issues, we haven't got that under Eade so he should stay.

Yesterday's performance against Geelong really shows the potential of this young team. The question that needs to be asked is - is Rodney Eade the guy to take this group to a flag? I'm inclined to say no because he's never taken any team to a premiership. That's not to discredit what he's done because they needed someone back in 2014 that would be ruthless and shape the list in a way that was conducive to success. Rocket has done that. However, the club needs to make sure they don't do what Brisbane did with Michael Voss when they thought they had Paul Roos in the bag. They need to know, categorically, that Alastair Clarkson (or another coach of his calibre) would 100% be willing to take over at the end of the season. If that's not possible then Rocket probably get a one-year extension and they do the same thing in 2018. That's presuming Rocket doesn't take them to the finals.

That's my opinion at this stage.

Although i agreed with the decision because of the off-field issues, we haven't got that under Eade so he should stay.
Yeah McKenna had to go, off field we were a rabble. Eade has completely turned it around which is a great testament to him. Unless we lose 10 in a row or something in the back half i cant see him losing his job.

Can rule out Paul Roos as a future coach of the Suns, he gave the Coch a huge wack for not giving up his business class seat to one of the player then Went on a huge rant about how disrespectful it was

Honestly, nearly every club would be in Clarkson's ear. Not just the Suns. And not just this year. The guy is contracted until the end of 2019, and unless he breaks that contract, I'm just not seeing it.

Plus, I have a weak spot for Eade. Bloke pulled us out of the abyss and things look so much better than they ever have at the club. He deserves more faith IMO. Unless we totally s**t ourselves from here on out and become a basket case once again - gawd, plz no - feel like sticking fat is the way to go. Only thing I can think is that Eade retires because he's personally had enough of coaching. And if that's the case, I'd rather chase after someone like Dew (costing us a lot less money and giving someone new a chance to shine).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back