News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely dew has some culpability here. Lyon, Wright, Brodie all quality players at other clubs that would make the suns a much better team right now. Was always bewildered by him making them languish in the seconds.

Yep, Brodie always was good at what he was good at. Too bad us suns fans are the ones left copping the criticism and either defending the clubs decision or just calling Brodie s**t which he ain’t.

Club owes us so much
It’s like they enjoy being the laughing stock of list management.
Year in, year out we do something inexcusably dumb and us fans are left to cop it while telling ourselves this is all part of some bigger plan and not just incompetency.

The sooner this list team is gone the better.

Of course it does all start with Dew though playing favourites and being far too inflexible.

You hope watching Brodie play well would stimulate a formal internal review into the current practices at recruiting and coaching level.

You get the feeling that the stubbornness that they demonstrate would mean that this gets ignored rather than recognised as an opportunity to learn from.

You hope watching Brodie play well would stimulate a formal internal review into the current practices at recruiting and coaching level.

You get the feeling that the stubbornness that they demonstrate would mean that this gets ignored rather than recognised as an opportunity to learn from.
For people following Brodie it is no surprise that he is very good inside.

Personally, I am surprised that Freo found way to compensate for his weaknesses so far. Yesterday, he was also involved in a lot of short kicks in offence.

For me more interesting question is who would Brodie replace in our best 22 as inside midfielder? Let's be honest, that's the only position he can play.

It certainly would not be Miller, Rowell, Anderson. Fiorini when he plays inside gets similar numbers. Bowes available soon, Davies developing.

So while I am very happy for Brodie and watch his games with interest I don't think we miss him right now or in the future. But that looks like a minority opinion here :p

As for list management, trade decisions people seem to forget we got enormous picks assistance the last 3 years, too generous and unnecessary IMHO. I would much rather prefer extra cap to attract top player(s) to more effectively help Suns with re-build.

It distorted Suns position, including list management and trade decisions. I estimated we got equivalent of 11-12 1st and 2nd round picks. I am pretty sure getting Anderson, Davies for free had some impact on Suns midfield list management.

At the moment, I would like to see Fiorini rotating more inside, the same for Rankine. Blaming Steven King for it :)

Last edited:

Personally, I am surprised that Freo found way to compensate for his weaknesses so far. Yesterday, he was also involved in a lot of short kicks in offence.

For me more interesting question is who would Brodie replace in our best 22 as inside midfielder? Let's be honest, that's the only position he can play.

It certainly would not be Miller, Rowell, Anderson. Fiorini when he plays inside gets similar numbers. Bowes available soon, Davies developing.

So while I am very happy for Brodie and watch his games with interest I don't think we miss him right now or in the future. But that looks like a minority opinion here :p

As for list management, trade decisions people seem to forget we got enormous picks assistance the last 3 years, too generous and unnecessary IMHO. I would much rather prefer extra cap to attract top player(s) to more effectively help Suns with re-build.

It distorted Suns position, including list management and trade decisions. I estimated we got equivalent of 11-12 1st and 2nd round picks. I am pretty sure getting Anderson, Davies for free had some impact on Suns midfield list management.

At the moment, I would like to see Fiorini rotating more inside, the same for Rankine.
I agree with this post. Count me in as a minority as well.

In hindsight though, he could replace Fiorini as his numbers this year are slightly better—but his team is winning, which helps stats. And Swallow hasn’t been playing mid this year anyway.

Then we have Bowes (injured), Davies, Flanders, Hollands. So which of those players were we getting rid of from our list to keep Brodie as mid? Someone had to go… Right it wrong, we chose the VFL player on the biggest coin.

So good luck to Brodie. He did nothing wrong.

One of our major problems at the present is our lack of depth through the midfield.
We are asking Miller ( small in size ) and two kids too carry the team.
Rowell and Anderson are playing more game time than any other pair in the league which is plain ridiculous.
Swallow is struggling full stop,Fiorini will never be an inside mid too slow and kicking has no penetration.
Davies and Hollands possibly future mids but that is a long time away.
Too say we couldnt use Brodie now is crazy.
Rowell and Anderson need help to grow as footballers not worn out by overuse as battering rams.

Big game today for the entire club.
Can we win not sure but golly we have to be very competitive or else big questions will start to be asked.

At the moment, I would like to see Fiorini rotating more inside, the same for Rankine. Blaming Steven King for it :)
But if we’d played Brodie the last 3-4 years he may well be significantly better than a number of players you mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No matter the ins and outs of selection and who he would have had to replace, the perception is that he is now BOG in a team headed for finals and couldn't crack a game in arguably the worst AFL team this century
That's the headline
Correct. It was pretty amusing yesterday. Every time commentators mentioned Brodie they started with 'former GC player'. Interestingly, they did not say 'former Cats player' Clark.

Not that it bothers me. I don't really value commentators. If we start winning they will jump on our bandwagon. What bothers me that Saints got overwhelmingly on top of clearances in 3 quarters (we won 2nd quarter). It can't happen today to have any chance winning.

Last edited:
Correct. It was pretty amusing yesterday. Every time commentators mentioned Brodie they started with 'former GC player'. Interestingly, they did not say 'former Cats player' Clark.

Not that it bothers me. I don't really value commentators. If we start winning they will jump on our bandwagon. What bothers me that Saints got overwhelmingly on top of clearances in 3 quarters (we won 2nd quarter). It can't happen today to have any chance winning.
Wil still looks very very slow

I watched most of the first half.
Thought Brodie got some nice handballs away when tackled or under pressure.
But his kicking was still pretty bad. At least 3 kicks going forward were to nobody and were turnovers.

Wil still looks very very slow

Despite his flaws, they've been able to make him work in their system which we just couldn't do!

People talk about Brodie in here as though he's the only player in our list (which has never made finals) that has any sort of deficiency and somehow it would have been unfair on other players who apparently do all the little things.

We have VERY few players that have well rounded games. Touk realistically being the only one I can think of.

His deficiencies, I.e his endurance, are so overhyped here. He could/would have been our best clearance player on 75% game time without any problem.

IMO Will's deficiencies were easy to overcome as Fremantle are showing. Same as Lyons at Brisbane and Wright at Essendon. It all lands squarely on Dew for his inability to figure out how to get the best out of his players attributes.

People talk about Brodie in here as though he's the only player in our list (which has never made finals) that has any sort of deficiency and somehow it would have been unfair on other players who apparently do all the little things.

We have VERY few players that have well rounded games. Touk realistically being the only one I can think of.

His deficiencies, I.e his endurance, are so overhyped here. He could/would have been our best clearance player on 75% game time without any problem.

IMO Will's deficiencies were easy to overcome as Fremantle are showing. Same as Lyons at Brisbane and Wright at Essendon. It all lands squarely on Dew for his inability to figure out how to get the best out of his players attributes.
Stubborness, insecurity, inexperience as a coach all in the mix.You do wonder if he'd make the same decisions now

Stubborness, insecurity, inexperience as a coach all in the mix.You do wonder if he'd make the same decisions now
I mean Brodie only got traded last off season. Personally I don't think Dews done anywhere near enough to justify another contract.

Well seeing as it was pretty much history repeating itself with Lyons (he can't run, I can't use him), I think the chances of learning after a second instance aren't probably much more likely.

Some players just don't work for some teams.

He was here for 5 seasons and wasn't a fit for the team.
Jaryd Lyons..
Peter Wright..
will brodie

All would of been helpful if given the opportunity to play to there strengths

2MP can kick drop punts from 60 and we had no ruck last year

Lyons got top 2-3 in best and fairest in a finals team

Jaryd Lyons..
Peter Wright..
will brodie

All would of been helpful if given the opportunity to play to there strengths

2MP can kick drop punts from 60 and we had no ruck last year

Lyons got top 2-3 in best and fairest in a finals team

Lyons too slow one paced no tank bad ankles and he is behind Rowell Anderson fiorini hollands Davies bowes Flanders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back