News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a good win on the weekend.

But imagine how much we could if won by with someone with some runs on the board pulling the strings.

Would of wiped the floor with them..

Giving up wayyyy to many I50 to the opposition, the most in the comp.

Wait till the flood gates open.
Wont be pretty.
SUNS put this man back in the naughty corner.

FYI

All you lot can’t handle facts..
Don’t bother coming online…

Peace ✌🏽

See u all again in 24-48 hours
I genuinely don't think you understand how football works.
Whats the point of having 65 inside 50s if the ball comes straight back out? Fremantle weren't able to get clean inside 50s due to
1. Our pressure on the ball
2. Our defensive set up
3. Our key defenders knowing when to leave their man and provide help defence.
They weren't able to trap the ball inside 50, therefore unable to find scoring opportunities.
We on the other hand created fantastic forward half pressure, meaning when the ball came down our end, more often then not we found a scoring opportunity.
Stats don't tell everything Ben. We where 3rd in the AFL for inside 50s going into round 8 with a 2-5 record.

But imagine how much we could if won by with someone with some runs on the board pulling the strings.

Wont be pretty.
Hugely overestimating other coaches.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I genuinely don't think you understand how football works.
Whats the point of having 65 inside 50s if the ball comes straight back out? Fremantle weren't able to get clean inside 50s due to
1. Our pressure on the ball
2. Our defensive set up
3. Our key defenders knowing when to leave their man and provide help defence.
They weren't able to trap the ball inside 50, therefore unable to find scoring opportunities.
We on the other hand created fantastic forward half pressure, meaning when the ball came down our end, more often then not we found a scoring opportunity.
Stats don't tell everything Ben. We where 3rd in the AFL for inside 50s going into round 8 with a 2-5 record.

Was only a couple weeks ago someone got ahold of us for 6-7 goals before we got one ourself

With repeat entries comes pressure and defenders become tired and sore.

Eventually the dam wall breaks.
They all do.

What you want to do is lock it between our F50 and CHB in open space.

Less scoreboard pressure.
And less running for every player in the team needing to get back into the defensive 50 etc

Was only a couple weeks ago someone got ahold of us for 6-7 goals before we got one ourself

With repeat entries comes pressure and defenders become tired and sore.

Eventually the dam wall breaks.
They all do.

What you want to do is lock it between our F50 and CHB in open space.

Less scoreboard pressure.
And less running for every player in the team needing to get back into the defensive 50 etc
Its pointless debating with you because you have this warped idea that some other coach is just going to come in and fix it.
Clarkson couldn't get hawthorn playing decent footy for the last 3 years he coached, why would it be different now.

Its pointless debating with you because you have this warped idea that some other coach is just going to come in and fix it.
Clarkson couldn't get hawthorn playing decent footy for the last 3 years he coached, why would it be different now.

Didn’t realised I name dropped anyone.

Just stating the fact we need to cover so much ground back into defensive 50 during games will hurt us at some point?

It’s just a different idea, just because it’s not one you adhere to doesn’t make it warped. Play the ball

Do we underestimate the difference king has made as a midfield coach in such a short time coming from the bulldogs?
I am not sure. Only a couple of weeks ago a lot of people were criticising our midfield :p

Hoping King will come up with good plans against his former team. I am pretty sure this time Sweet will not have it as easy as last year against Graham and Burgess.

Wont be pretty.

The year is 2024. Preseason training is going well with reigning Brownlow medalist Touk Miller and Norm Smith medalist Darcy Macpherson leading the way.

Ben Drever: "This club has no guts. We lost 3 games last year yet we still sign Dew to a contract extension. Can't believe so many people are supporting him after barely putting up 25 goals against the Lions in the grand final. We should have signed Clarkson"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The year is 2024. Preseason training is going well with reigning Brownlow medalist Touk Miller and Norm Smith medalist Darcy Macpherson leading the way.

Ben Drever: "This club has no guts. We lost 3 games last year yet we still sign Dew to a contract extension. Can't believe so many people are supporting him after barely putting up 25 goals against the Lions in the grand final. We should have signed Clarkson"

What about Club Champion from 2023, Rory Atkins!

Did we trade Touk and Darcy!!!!!!! 😁

God knows we all wish SUNS narrative comes true, I think you would find Ben would be as over the moon as as anyone.

What about Club Champion from 2023, Rory Atkins

God knows we all wish SUNS narrative comes true, I think you would find Ben would be as over the moon as as anyone.

We have constantly been building forward for the last 4 years and our team and gameplan is the strongest it has been in a post Gazza world

We have constantly been building forward for the last 4 years and our team and gameplan is the strongest it has been in a post Gazza world
There is no doubt in my mind that if we had a player like Gazza, this would be the best Suns team ever fielded by a long shot.

Even without him I still think, overall, this is the best team we have put on the park and it could probably beat our early 2014 team. Yeah we’ve lost players that might be better than some options (Lynch, May etc.), but on each line we are stronger than we have ever been.

Ablett at his peak would make us (and most teams) elite— and he wouldn’t need to break his shoulders trying to carry the other 21 players…

Im speechless..
I’ll show myself out.

Im speechless..
I’ll show myself out.
GIF by ProdigalSonFox

Im speechless..
I’ll show myself out.
Nice to see the positivity but will keep my powder dry until after this week's game against Bulldogs. Vic Media would rather see Clarkson coach Essendon or similar - so they will do all possible to talk up Dew and talk down Clarkson. To me it's so simple - Dew and the team win at least 10 games - he probably keeps his job - anything less should be goodbye. Let's see how we go this weekend.

I have been there from the start with you mate. Sat with you for 100 point thrashings and ridden the highs of 'Yet another promising pre-season' only for the club and it's fans to be shat on from the greatest of heights. So I definitely know and understand how you feel.

Yep, we have had some F,**!#G trade howlers. Every club has them but seemingly none worse than us. We look back at some of the worst. The Weller one I still feel is not as bad as it looks (we netted Ballard as part of it) but on face value, Lachie for #2 is a massive loss. But to me that was the start of a slightly positive direction. We began our journey down the path of becoming a team players wanted to play for.

Losing Jack Martin for nothing sucked, especially what we paid for him. But it sent a message that we were not going to be walked over anymore. You want to guarantee that the bedwetters get to their club of choice, then the club of choice have to be willing to pay up or risk going elsewhere. Yes, a stonger play might have been to take him in the PSD and make him have a year playing NEAFL, but really doesn't help us going forward at all.

Hugh Greenwood at the time hurt me more than any of the other two. For a very short while, I thought this was the lowest point in the clubs history. Maybe even the beginning of the end. But looking back I have to trust the club knew what they are doing. Greenwood looks a shadow of what he was at the SUNS. We are saving us a fair bit on the salary cap, we are getting games into players who might be wasting away in the VFL if Hugh was still wearing our jumper too. We still have a few players such as Copper, Dutchy and Flanders who we want to see get a go at AFL level. Hugh would definitely be causing other players who are getting the odd run (Davies, Mally ect) to be waiting in line.

And let's face it. On field we are going ok mate. Only been blown out once in a game which looked a lot closer. Only lost one game which I personally expected to win. Whilst 3/4 of our wins I expected to lose. We are almost at .500 for the year with a percentage which is healthier than it has ever been. A gamestyle which still has its flaws (LOWER YOUR FRIGGEN EYES AND FIND A TARGET INSIDE 50 FFS) but overall is better and a more personalised brand. We have a pressure game which is beating top 4 teams, which is causing oppo coaches and the media to step up and take notice. Teams don't want to play us now. That is a good thing. We have a group of kids that want to stay. There are no real red flags that anyone is actively wanting out. I don't think we have had this ever halfway through a year. A favourable fixture heading into the back half (which I know has always been our downfall, but things look different this time). We are heading in the right direction mate. I 110% understand your frustration. You have burnt more money, spent more emotionally and ridden the lows for longer than 95% of posters on here. But just sit back with a cold beer, have a look at everything as a whole. By all means take in the negatives but look at the picture it has painted to where we are at now.

It's easy to think we have been burned before. Probably harder to get over the feeling that it is going to happen again. But if you really sit back and look at everything, things smell so much better now. It IS different. Yep, taken about 8 years too long to get to this stage. But I know it is gonna be all the more sweeter when we are up there playing finals and a consistent top 8 team. For once, it realistically doesn't seem too far away. When we are there I want you, more than anyone, here with us!

Edit* I know that I am probably writing this a week early. That maybe we will head down to 'The Rat' and get spanked by 10 goals. But we are still a pretty inexperienced team and we are gonna have our blips. Feel free to @ me if this is not our best and most promising season after rd 23, but I think even you know it will be!

I have been there from the start with you mate. Sat with you for 100 point thrashings and ridden the highs of 'Yet another promising pre-season' only for the club and it's fans to be shat on from the greatest of heights. So I definitely know and understand how you feel.

Yep, we have had some F,**!#G trade howlers. Every club has them but seemingly none worse than us. We look back at some of the worst. The Weller one I still feel is not as bad as it looks (we netted Ballard as part of it) but on face value, Lachie for #2 is a massive loss. But to me that was the start of a slightly positive direction. We began our journey down the path of becoming a team players wanted to play for.

Losing Jack Martin for nothing sucked, especially what we paid for him. But it sent a message that we were not going to be walked over anymore. You want to guarantee that the bedwetters get to their club of choice, then the club of choice have to be willing to pay up or risk going elsewhere. Yes, a stonger play might have been to take him in the PSD and make him have a year playing NEAFL, but really doesn't help us going forward at all.

Hugh Greenwood at the time hurt me more than any of the other two. For a very short while, I thought this was the lowest point in the clubs history. Maybe even the beginning of the end. But looking back I have to trust the club knew what they are doing. Greenwood looks a shadow of what he was at the SUNS. We are saving us a fair bit on the salary cap, we are getting games into players who might be wasting away in the VFL if Hugh was still wearing our jumper too. We still have a few players such as Copper, Dutchy and Flanders who we want to see get a go at AFL level. Hugh would definitely be causing other players who are getting the odd run (Davies, Mally ect) to be waiting in line.

And let's face it. On field we are going ok mate. Only been blown out once in a game which looked a lot closer. Only lost one game which I personally expected to win. Whilst 3/4 of our wins I expected to lose. We are almost at .500 for the year with a percentage which is healthier than it has ever been. A gamestyle which still has its flaws (LOWER YOUR FRIGGEN EYES AND FIND A TARGET INSIDE 50 FFS) but overall is better and a more personalised brand. We have a pressure game which is beating top 4 teams, which is causing oppo coaches and the media to step up and take notice. Teams don't want to play us now. That is a good thing. We have a group of kids that want to stay. There are no real red flags that anyone is actively wanting out. I don't think we have had this ever halfway through a year. A favourable fixture heading into the back half (which I know has always been our downfall, but things look different this time). We are heading in the right direction mate. I 110% understand your frustration. You have burnt more money, spent more emotionally and ridden the lows for longer than 95% of posters on here. But just sit back with a cold beer, have a look at everything as a whole. By all means take in the negatives but look at the picture it has painted to where we are at now.

It's easy to think we have been burned before. Probably harder to get over the feeling that it is going to happen again. But if you really sit back and look at everything, things smell so much better now. It IS different. Yep, taken about 8 years too long to get to this stage. But I know it is gonna be all the more sweeter when we are up there playing finals and a consistent top 8 team. For once, it realistically doesn't seem too far away. When we are there I want you, more than anyone, here with us!

Edit* I know that I am probably writing this a week early. That maybe we will head down to 'The Rat' and get spanked by 10 goals. But we are still a pretty inexperienced team and we are gonna have our blips. Feel free to @ me if this is not our best and most promising season after rd 23, but I think even you know it will be!
Well said as usual, God knows I want it to be true, I want to be proud of a club I have invested so heavily in emotionally and financially. 🤞 you are right and we have put the laughing stock era behind us please please please

Appreciate you reaching out, luv ya SUNS

Everything you just said is on the money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back