News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think we’ll play finals in 2022. Most of the improvement will come from natural development of our 2nd to 5th year players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Get a decent run with injuries and we’re a chance. The usual soul-destroying injuries to key players and we’re no chance. How Wittsy returns will be very important.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Get a decent run with injuries and we’re a chance. The usual soul-destroying injuries to key players and we’re no chance. How Wittsy returns will be very important.
100%. Injuries will decide whether we make finals or not. If we follow the trend of the past with our big players injured, we won’t be a chance though

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Reminds me of when Essendon re-signed knights and worsfold for stability, was an absolute disaster. I actually think an un-signed dew is the perfect scenario. If it's a good season, great, finally on the way up, if it's a bad season - the best coach in history comes in to clean things up and attracts high calibre assistants wanting to work under him.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Reminds me of when Essendon re-signed knights and worsfold for stability, was an absolute disaster. I actually think an un-signed dew is the perfect scenario. If it's a good season, great, finally on the way up, if it's a bad season - the best coach in history comes in to clean things up and attracts high calibre assistants wanting to work under him.
I don't mind the idea of re-signing Dew if it creates a feeling of stability within the four walls and allows us to re-sign King (Luko and Rankine as well please!). I have to assume the AFL is heavily involved in this situation and wouldn't have any issue paying out Dew's 2023 contract if our season turns into a disaster and then we can insert Clarkson as our 2023 head coach. On the flip side, if we have a good season then the likes of King should find it pretty easy to put pen to paper knowing Dew will be here going forward and that the team is now competitive on field.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't mind the idea of re-signing Dew if it creates a feeling of stability within the four walls and allows us to re-sign King (Luko and Rankine as well please!). I have to assume the AFL is heavily involved in this situation and wouldn't have any issue paying out Dew's 2023 contract if our season turns into a disaster and then we can insert Clarkson as our 2023 head coach. On the flip side, if we have a good season then the likes of King should find it pretty easy to put pen to paper knowing Dew will be here going forward and that the team is now competitive on field.
I am pretty sure most assistant coaches (like Solomon) and now also some head coaches have only 3 months pay-outs in their contracts. You would expect Dew to be one of them.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am pretty sure most assistant coaches (like Solomon) and now also some head coaches have only 3 months pay-outs in their contracts. You would expect Dew to be one of them.
Isn't that even more incentive to re-sign him if you know you'll only have to pay out three months if it doesn't work out?

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't mind the idea of re-signing Dew if it creates a feeling of stability within the four walls and allows us to re-sign King (Luko and Rankine as well please!).
It's an interesting scenario signing a coach to facilitate signing star players
If Rankine is here next year I'll be very surprised
When you see him at team events etc he's always on his own and he spent every possible hour in SA before heading back here over the break
Luko I'm not sure- he's a bit of an enigma-I'm less convinced about him going than Izak
So it comes down to BK
I think he'll stay on a 2yr contract-like Lynch he'll be 24 or 25 when the next contract turns and he'll be worth even more if his trajectory continues
So we can then ask if retaining Dew is worth retaining King on a 2 year contract-because that's what I think the final analysis will be

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
When you see him at team events etc he's always on his own and he spent every possible hour in SA before heading back here over the break
Luko I'm not sure- he's a bit of an enigma-I'm less convinced about him going than Izak
So it comes down to BK
I think he'll stay on a 2yr contract-like Lynch he'll be 24 or 25 when the next contract turns and he'll be worth even more if his trajectory continues
So we can then ask if retaining Dew is worth retaining King on a 2 year contract-because that's what I think the final analysis will be
I think we cover Rankine going a lot more than Luko or Ben so critical we throw everything at them both to sign for at least 2 more years. Sorry if Rankine goes but we won't keep everybody.

SaadyArmy

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So it comes down to BK

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thought it would be interesting to compare the coaching records of all Gold Coast professional major sports teams (AFL, NRL, NBL & A-League) to see where Dewy ranks. I'm not including caretakers.

CoachTeamWinsDrawsLossesWinning Percentage
Joey WrightBlaze4603854.7%
John CartwrightTitans87010545.3%
Justin HolbookTitans1902642.2%
Brendan JoyceBlaze2303738.3%
David ClaxtonRollers5809637.6%
Neil HenryTitans2814637.3%
Miron BleibergUnited30213037.0%
Thomas WismanCougars901734.6%
Garth BrennanTitans1202830.0%
Phil EconomidisChargers2004928.9%
Guy McKennaSuns2406427.2%
Rodney EadeSuns1614626.1%
Bob McCarthyGiants1534822.7%
Stuart DewSuns1816122.5%
John HarveySeagulls923220.9%
Wally LewisSeagulls713615.9%
Malcolm CliftSeagulls21199.0%

There you have it, folks. Dewy is definitely on the lower end but certainly not the worst coach we've ever had on the Gold Coast. It's quite shocking to see only one coach in the history of professional sports on the Gold Coast has a winning record.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don’t show this to Clarkson.
Why not? Clarko has a career winning percentage of 58.7% and that includes multiple years of rebuilding below 30%.

Clarko has the opportunity to become the greatest professional sports coach the Gold Coast has ever seen and all he has to do is have a winning percentage of 55% or higher. Talk about an opportunity to leave a legacy!

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Thought it would be interesting to compare the coaching records of all Gold Coast professional major sports teams (AFL, NRL, NBL & A-League) to see where Dewy ranks. I'm not including caretakers.

CoachTeamWinsDrawsLossesWinning Percentage
Joey WrightBlaze4603854.7%
John CartwrightTitans87010545.3%
Justin HolbookTitans1902642.2%
Brendan JoyceBlaze2303738.3%
David ClaxtonRollers5809637.6%
Neil HenryTitans2814637.3%
Miron BleibergUnited30213037.0%
Thomas WismanCougars901734.6%
Garth BrennanTitans1202830.0%
Phil EconomidisChargers2004928.9%
Guy McKennaSuns2406427.2%
Rodney EadeSuns1614626.1%
Bob McCarthyGiants1534822.7%
Stuart DewSuns1816122.5%
John HarveySeagulls923220.9%
Wally LewisSeagulls713615.9%
Malcolm CliftSeagulls21199.0%

There you have it, folks. Dewy is definitely on the lower end but certainly not the worst coach we've ever had on the Gold Coast. It's quite shocking to see only one coach in the history of professional sports on the Gold Coast has a winning record.
Brendan Joyce is a title-winning coach in the NBL and took Australia to 3 Olympics. Definitely no slouch.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’ve been critical of dew at times over the last couple of years but I really hope he gets a good run at it this year and we get to see the best of his coaching..

The media is after his head already
Caroline Wilson on 5aa saying Clarko is a lock
Most hosts on SEN on the clarko train except Tim Watson and David King

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Steven King and Rhyce Shaw are making massive differences from everything I've been told. Should give Dew and the boys a really good run at it this season.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Steven King and Rhyce Shaw are making massive differences from everything I've been told. Should give Dew and the boys a really good run at it this season.

I think Wayne Campbell makes a huge difference also from Jon Haines

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, it looks like media hunt is on. And we did not even play badly yet.

Personally, I am a bit surprised that almost everybody believes that Clarko would be the saviour. Yes, he had an incredible run with Hawks but they did get rid of him. By all reports late he interfered in everything, messed up the list and so on. Where is the guarantee that he can succeed again. On the other hand Suns are ripe for success so most probably he would succeed which pisses me off a little bit. Just to enjoy benefits of previous work done by Dew and co.

I will always support Suns, but if Suns are competitive and let's say win 10 games and they still replace Dew with Clarko, Suns will lose one paid member.

Common boys, do it for Dew. I don't want to listen to Clarko's pressers.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, it looks like media hunt is on. And we did not even play badly yet.

Personally, I am a bit surprised that almost everybody believes that Clarko would be the saviour. Yes, he had an incredible run with Hawks but they did get rid of him. By all reports late he interfered in everything, messed up the list and so on. Where is the guarantee that he can succeed again. On the other hand Suns are ripe for success so most probably he would succeed which pisses me off a little bit. Just to enjoy benefits of previous work done by Dew and co.

I will always support Suns, but if Suns are competitive and let's say win 10 games and they still replace Dew with Clarko, Suns will lose one paid member.

Common boys, do it for Dew. I don't want to listen to Clarko's pressers.

The media need to be careful.. look at the way they championed Malthouse into the Carlton job and how that all turned out..

Back