Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Wayne Campbell :whitecheck:
Steve King :whitecheck:
Brad Miller :whitecheck:

I am very happy with these appointments (plus Chol)

A change of coaches and support around the senior coach can only be a good thing. We have seen this work in the past i.e Goodwin this season, Buckley, Hardwick.

Campbell is a serious football brain. Probably our best GM of Football we have ever had. He was at the Giants in their successful seasons. He was at the Giants for 4 seasons. They have not made finals when he hasn't been at the club. Each of the four seasons they made finals including three Preliminary Finals and a Grand Final
2016- Prelim
2017- Semi
2018- Prelim
2019- Grand Final

Steven King is also highly regarded in the footy industry and has been senior assistant coach at the Dogs for the past season. This has included two finals campaigns- an Elimination Final and a Grand Final. During his time at the club they have also won the 2016 Premiership.

Brad Miller, same thing has had success coaching the Giants NEAFL team to a flag in 2016 and also leading the forward line for 2018 and 2019 finals campaigns.

Sunny days ahead guys!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wayne Campbell :whitecheck:
Steve King :whitecheck:
Brad Miller :whitecheck:

I am very happy with these appointments (plus Chol)

A change of coaches and support around the senior coach can only be a good thing. We have seen this work in the past i.e Goodwin this season, Buckley, Hardwick.

Campbell is a serious football brain. Probably our best GM of Football we have ever had. He was at the Giants in their successful seasons. He was at the Giants for 4 seasons. They have not made finals when he hasn't been at the club. Each of the four seasons they made finals including three Preliminary Finals and a Grand Final
2016- Prelim
2017- Semi
2018- Prelim
2019- Grand Final

Steven King is also highly regarded in the footy industry and has been senior assistant coach at the Dogs for the past season. This has included two finals campaigns- an Elimination Final and a Grand Final. During his time at the club they have also won the 2016 Premiership.

Brad Miller, same thing has had success coaching the Giants NEAFL team to a flag in 2016 and also leading the forward line for 2018 and 2019 finals campaigns.

Sunny days ahead guys!
Based on Dews interviews Suns were hoping to increase number of coaches by one. Clarke joining Voss was not in plan. Hopefully, one more coach to come. It would make a huge difference. We appear under-staffed at coaching department.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Hey coach.

I mean... No such thing as bad publicity?

Only thing that's relevant in the whole article unless you're a Pia Miller fan - " The reclusive hunk just made a move to the Gold Coast Suns as an assistant coach ahead of the 2022 Premiership season. "

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I mean... No such thing as bad publicity?

Only thing that's relevant in the whole article unless you're a Pia Miller fan - " The reclusive hunk just made a move to the Gold Coast Suns as an assistant coach ahead of the 2022 Premiership season. "

I saw the article.. and I’m like.. oh tell me more about our new coach…

pia Miller this.. Pia Miller that.. lol mmmm ok then

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I've decided to try my hand at "crystal ball gazing" and have come up with these scenarios....won't please some I'm sure.

AFL decide to appoint a 19th team from Tasmania, to debut in the 2025 season.

As a result of this, a widely held view is Clarkson will be their inaugural coach.

Suns improve under Dew and finish just outside the 8.

Suns offer Clarkson a 2 yr contract for 2023-24, as Chief Asst Coach (much like the one Choco Williams has at Melbourne) to assist Dew who has his Contract extended (re-newed).

2023-4

Suns younger players develop rapidly with Clarkson assisting current coaches and Suns finish in the 8 both years.

Clarkson leaves at the end of 2024, and takes up his position as Head Coach of the Tasmanian Devils, as predicted.

Darn it.......can't go any further as I just dropped the ball and it smashed on the floor into a 1000 pieces......;)

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
It’s interesting to me that Stewie has to succeed this year to keep his job, I think that’s absolutely fair considering the list of young talent we have. If you can’t make it with this list even though it’s young you could give him plugger, Ablett Judd, Buddy and Darren Jarman and I still don’t think he’d make finals

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It’s interesting to me that Stewie has to succeed this year to keep his job, I think that’s absolutely fair considering the list of young talent we have. If you can’t make it with this list even though it’s young you could give him plugger, Ablett Judd, Buddy and Darren Jarman and I still don’t think he’d make finals
He also happens to be the longest serving senior coach we've ever had. Bluey got four years, Rocket three years and Dewy is going to his fifth season as our senior coach in 2022.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Dewy doesn't have Gaz.
Dew also started in late 2017 around the time that the club was openly stating it was going into rebuild mode and replacing established players with draftees:

YEAROUTIN
2017Gary Ablett Jr (302 games)Will Powell (Pick 19)
2018Tom Lynch (131 games)Izak Rankine (Pick 3)
2018Steven May (123 games)Ben King (Pick 6)

556 games experience replaced with three draftees over a 12-month period. Makes it pretty difficult to win games.

It needs to be pointed out that Guy McKenna only had five more wins than Dew after his fourth season at the helm. Would Dewy have won at least five extra games if he had Gaz, Prestia, Bennell, Dixon, O'Meara, Bock, Rory, Matera, Rischitelli, Brown and Brennan at his disposal the whole way? I would have thought the answer was pretty obvious. Rocket also had a lot of those guys.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think it's pretty obvious to everybody that Dew's job is on the line. I guess what's annoying me a bit is that Dew does not work in a vacuum. It's virtually up to everybody at the club including Evans, Conchrane, all coaches, high performance team, doctors, physio, rehab, recruitment plus the impact of AFL limited funding on resources. Also a bit of luck is needed. Eight long-term knees by round 3 is not the way to go. I bet with Witts we would had probably 10 wins and people would be salivating about finals.

Another aspect is how long do re-builds take? Carlton are 7 years into a re-build and finished with one more win.
Just read Goodwin's story. It took him 7 years to glory (add 3 years of Roos re-building before him). Just 2 years ago Demons finished 17th. So Demons went through 10 years re-build. Besides one defender they had virtually no injuries this year. Before 2021 season started most experts predicted that Goodwin will be fired.

Looking forward to next year. Our best 22 is quite impressive and for the first time as long as I can remember with a decent age and experience profile. We got some depth. Just a bit of luck with injuries, please.

Personally, I am hoping that Dew can start enjoying the fruits of re-build. I would hate to see Dew do the difficult part only for Clarko or any other coach to take over a team that is not far from delivering sustainable success. But that's a life I guess.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Personally, I am hoping that Dew can start enjoying the fruits of re-build. I would hate to see Dew do the difficult part only for Clarko or any other coach to take over a team that is not far from delivering sustainable success. But that's a life I guess.
Robert Walls says hi
Matthews probably didn't even have the decency to offer him a reach around

Back