Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Robert Walls says hi
Matthews probably didn't even have the decency to offer him a reach around
I know many hold this view but is it actually true? Look at how many of the '01 Premiership players were coached by Walls vs those who were coached by Lethal and very briefly by the other two:

Coached by Walls: Marcus Ashcroft (1991-95), Shaun Hart (1991-95), Michael Voss (1992-95), Daryl White (1992-95), Justin Leppitsch (1993-95), Nigel Lappin (1994-95), Alastair Lynch (1994-95), Chris Scott (1994-95) Jason Akermanis (1995), Craig McRae (1995)
Total: 10

Not coached by Walls: Daniel Bradshaw (1996-01), Clark Keating (1996-01), Chris Johnson (1997-01), Simon Black (1998-01), Beau McDonald (1998-01), Tim Notting (1998-01), Luke Power (1998-01), Brad Scott (1998-01), Jonathan Brown (2000-01), Robert Copeland (2001), Mal Michael (2001), Martin Pike (2001)
Total: 12

Over half of the Premiership team never played for Walls and 5/10 that did play for Walls were only coached by him for two or less seasons. So did Walls really have as big an impact as some say or was he just given a whole heap of talent from the Queensland/NT zone and the team just accumulated talented players through high end draft picks because they were mostly languishing at the bottom end of the ladder while he was coach?

If Clarko takes over in 2023 and happens to take us to the finals for the first time then of course this topic will come up again but I think the real sign of a good coach is that he finds a way to get the best out of his players. Are we seeing the best out of our players under Dew? Probably not to date but we may see it emerge in 2022. If not, Clarko can come in and should be able to get things going pretty quickly. You only have to look at some of Hawthorn's results this year with the lack of talent on their list (currently) to realise Clarko is a master at extracting the absolute best out of players, even when the ability isn't necessary there.

“Jackson's appointment finalises our coaching group for 2022 and we are really pleased with the experienced and diverse group of coaches that will be responsible for developing our young talented list."

The club has also re-engaged experienced coach Neil Craig to again work with the club as Coaching Advisor.

After previously holding the role of VFL Head Coach in 2021, Tate Kaesler will have a new responsibility as the Team Defence & Strategy Coach for next season.

The SUNS have now finalised the coaching structure for 2022 after the off-season additions of Steven King (Senior Assistant Coach), Brad Miller (Assistant Coach) and Kornberg

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
At 28, Kornberg must be one of the youngest coaches currently in AFL ranks. Without a playing background too, he’s certainly breaking through some barriers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There is hope for a 33 year old marketer to coach an AFL team yet!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Some people here will not like this info. Not me :)

REVEALED: When Gold Coast Suns powerbrokers will make a decision on Stuart Dew’s future as head coach of the AFL side
SUNS powerbrokers have discussed re-signing Stuart Dew early next year in the clearest sign yet he will remain head coach of Gold Coast beyond 2022.
Dew goes into next year under enormous pressure to finally bring success to a club that has had little to celebrate in its first 11 years.

Next year will Dew’s fifth at the helm of Gold Coast, he is out of contract at the end of the season and for the first time under his watch the club has been vocal about its expectation to make finals.

Despite the magnitude of events to come next year, Suns hierarchy are already confident Dew is the man who will take the club forward into 2023 and beyond.

It is unlikely an extension will come before the start of the 2022 season but many at the club are keen to remove the distraction that would come with talk about his future as the year progresses.

Discussions are already being held internally at the Suns as to when the right time would be to do a deal.

His future has already been a hot topic of discussion given Alastair Clarkson’s departure from Hawthorn this year.

It is an incredible vote of confidence in Dew who first arrived in 2018 and then signed a two-year contract extension in 2020.

The list is his to own after turning it over in recent years. The squad has a core nucleus of exciting young talent including Ben King, Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Sam Flanders, Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine, Alex Davies and Elijah Hollands, Connor Budarick and Jeremy Sharp and Jack Bowes.

They have been ushered in around the likes of established senior players including captains Jarrod Witts and David Swallow, All-Australian Touk Miller, Brandon Ellis, Lachie Weller and Sam Collins while Mabiol Chol and the impending arrival of Levi Casboult will bolster the team’s tall stocks further going into next year.

King, Lukosius and Rankine are among the key players off contract at the end of 2022. The club has already had informal discussions with King and confident it can retain Lukosius while Rankine will likely be eager to find consistency in his game before opening discussions on a new deal.

One of Dew’s key strengths has been his ability to connect with the playing group who believe in his vision for the future and the style of football he wants to play.

Last edited:

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast

REVEALED: When Gold Coast Suns powerbrokers will make a decision on Stuart Dew’s future as head coach of the AFL side

Can only suggest that the club thinks this will help with re-signing of the young stars

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Talk is that King is close to Dew, so keeping him would go a long way to keeping King.
Very close, Dew might be selective about who he builds relationships with (eg Brodie, Lyons etc) but the people he does build them with seem to absolutely love him. There just needs to be more of it for a more unified playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

1637727877144.gif

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Let me get this straight.. because Dew is nice and friendly to all the top 10 talent...
he gets to keep his performance based job?
One which costs the AFL 20million + a year?

No wonder the media ask if the Suns are a real football club with heart and soul.

there’s definitely no winning culture within the 4 walls if they sign Dew before July next year without looking at the data and the options to further the football club

And the fact you have one of the best AFL coaches sitting around in 2022 wanting a plum 2023 job.

what a joke.

Last edited:

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Saw Dew out in Burleigh Sunday morning. Running with his kids on Bikes. Seemed to have worked up a big sweat and looked trimmer then last year.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Let me get this straight.. because Dew is nice and friendly to all the top 10 talent...
he gets to keep his performance based job?
One which costs the AFL 20million + a year?

No wonder the media ask if the Suns are a real football club with heart and soul.

there’s definitely no winning culture within the 4 walls if they sign Dew before July next year without looking at the data and the options to further the football club

And the fact you have one of the best AFL coaches sitting around in 2022 wanting a plum 2023 job.

what a joke.
I’m sure they are looking at all the ‘data’ and other options regularly.

this is obviously a strategic decision based on something.

they might have already spoken to Clarkson who has told them in no uncertain terms what he thinks of the GC, who knows.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m sure they are looking at all the ‘data’ and other options regularly.

this is obviously a strategic decision based on something.

they might have already spoken to Clarkson who has told them in no uncertain terms what he thinks of the GC, who knows.
Can’t remember what I read earlier 16 wins from 5 seasons in charge? 🤷‍♂️ Could easily be wrong.

I’d say 14 of those wins weren’t due to Dew out coaching any body.

Tony Cochrane would of had just as good a chance to get the same amount of wins

just saying.. the boys talents alone got those wins..

not rocket science coaching in saying that.. if the club and Dew get 10 wins this year… no worries with re-signing him.
But there should not be be any rush.!

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
I think 10 wins and a percentage above 90% should be the target. This would show we’re on track to make a real push for finals in 2023. Stop the blowouts as well. Anything less will be yet another year of mediocrity / disappointment.
I think the most disappointing part of the season was the end where we fell off and got torn apart by Melbourne, Sydney, Essendon after fantastic wins against Richmond & GWS.

Were they trying to tank for Nick Daicos? Who knows

Right now 10 wins looks good need to get a favourable draw with some 50-50 teams at Metricon, eg. West Coast, Adelaide, Carlton etc

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think the most disappointing part of the season was the end where we fell off and got torn apart by Melbourne, Sydney, Essendon after fantastic wins against Richmond & GWS.

Were they trying to tank for Nick Daicos? Who knows

Right now 10 wins looks good need to get a favourable draw with some 50-50 teams at Metricon, eg. West Coast, Adelaide, Carlton etc

Love the part we already relying on favours to get us wins..
it’s a worry when u need your team to have favours and luck to win multiple games of football.

Of cause teams do win games of football with “pot luck”

but yeah, shows how much confidence we have in achieving the clubs and our goals of Finals next year

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Love the part we already relying on favours to get us wins..
it’s a worry when u need your team to have favours and luck to win multiple games of football.

Of cause teams do win games of football with “pot luck”

but yeah, shows how much confidence we have in achieving the clubs and our goals of Finals next year
Yeah well we did finish 16 and our form to end the year was s**t, so i'm not gonna get my expectations too high.

Also need a bit of luck with injuries too which stagnated our development last year.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah well we did finish 16 and our form to end the year was sh*t, so i'm not gonna get my expectations too high.

Also need a bit of luck with injuries too which stagnated our development last year.

Not totally sold on our high performance staff either tbh.

seems we have reviews… and not much really ever changes? 🤷‍♂️

seems odd as our performance never gets any better either?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back