Coaching without having played

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting concept, the average footballer isn't exactly renowned for academia and I suspect some pretty decent strategically orientated AFL fan would make a decent coach. The problem would be whether the players would play for someone without that very experience ?

Interesting concept, the average footballer isn't exactly renowned for academia and I suspect some pretty decent strategically orientated AFL fan would make a decent coach. The problem would be whether the players would play for someone without that very experience ?
But say its someone really well known and respected in Australian sport. Like an ex Olympic athlete or cricketer like a Steve Waugh or someone of that character. I think it would work really well. And your obviously going to have assistant coaches with afl playing experience to help out

I think to be a coach you would have to have played the game yourself to get the respect of your players. I operate heavy machinery for a living and I can tell you that any time a pen pushing, suit wearing manager who has never got his shoes dirty tells me how to operate a machine he gets zero respect and a lot of "what the * would you know about driving 40 ton of steel!" The closest they've ever been to anything mechanical is the bloody urn in the coffee room.

Wayne Brittain never played at AFL Level, didn't last long as an AFL coach.

He was essentially the coach in David Parkin's last few years. Hence why he took over the reigns. Also if you look at Carlton's list in his years he was official coach you could hardly blame him for having mediocre results. Kouda took most of the salary cap and hardly played.

Aussie Rules fans are far too snobbish to accept someone who didn't play the game at the highest level as their coach.

It's the same as our commentators. For some reason, you can't have an opinion if you never played at the highest level (or you can, it's just that no one will listen to you).

Don't know why. The NFL example is apt, as are most (if not all) American sports. Maybe someone who spends their life studying the game would have better ideas on how to coach than someone who played it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i don't see why not. most NFL head coaches have not played NFL level football. i think it's a bit of weakness of the current system that teams won't look from outside the professional afl circle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coaches
For a long time this has been one of my major issues with the AFL industry.

From media to coaching, it is all about club connections or profile based on playing days.

The Americans though are mostly and I say mostly, about talent. What matters is results, in incredibly competitive markets.

From soccer Andres Villas Boas is the prototype

Didnt even kick a football at amateur level never mind at professional level. Quite often too (given he is 35 now) he has been younger then the clubs captain

It will never happen at AFL level. Too much of a boys club mentality

I can understand why the majority of AFL coaches are former players. You get paid to play and learn at the same time. You get first hand experience from the best nutritionists, sports scientists, development coaches and of course head coaches etc. I'm not sure how else one could get such an ideal apprenticeship. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the odds seem stacked in favour of the former professional player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back