Coalition baby boom: put your money where your mouth is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Fryzo wants the birth rate kept up. Wont go so far as repeating a baby bonus as his mentor Costello did in 2011.
But there is an increase in kids leaving school right now, and the job market is in the worst possible shape.

extra numbers of school leavers now a direct result of costellos baby bonus 19 years ago. They should own their issue.

yet the government barely mentions this and no one is holding them to account. They didn’t cause the cv19 pandemic, but they did cause the increase in school leavers which will be smashed by it.
Own your mess you morons

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Nice political spin on post Covid IF we get that far in the next 10 years.

It ranks with bringing manufacturing back to Australis, a feel good talking point. See the problem we have getting fruit pickers, the farmers have to pay more to find a labour market, then its not financially viable to pick the fruit, aka THE REAL WORLD.t

Are the people you see as being disadvantaged simply not into hard worker, latte sippers who wont go to where the work is?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

It ranks with bringing manufacturing back to Australis, a feel good talking point. See the problem we have getting fruit pickers, the farmers have to pay more to find a labour market, then its not financially viable to pick the fruit, aka THE REAL WORLD.t

Are the people you see as being disadvantaged simply not into hard worker, latte sippers who wont go to where the work is?
Kwality, I have a series of questions for you. I know you're realitively older - you talk of voting for Gough, after all - so that would at least imply you've either retired or are considering it.

So, given this, my questions are as follows:

- have you been unemployed and/or without income within the last 10 years?
- how much have you had to do with the demographic you're discussing here?
- if you've not had much to do with the labour market in the last 10 years, how on EARTH would you know if it's the workers or the market that's the problem?
- if you've had anything to do with young people, why is your view of them so short of nuance?

You insist you're not partisan, but your views here are certainly reflective of your demographic if nothing else.

Kwality, I have a series of questions for you. I know you're realitively older - you talk of voting for Gough, after all - so that would at least imply you've either retired or are considering it.

So, given this, my questions are as follows:

- have you been unemployed and/or without income within the last 10 years?
- how much have you had to do with the demographic you're discussing here?
- if you've not had much to do with the labour market in the last 10 years, how on EARTH would you know if it's the workers or the market that's the problem?
- if you've had anything to do with young people, why is your view of them so short of nuance?

You insist you're not partisan, but your views here are certainly reflective of your demographic if nothing else.

there is more work than people on this planet and in this nation.

the challenge is marrying under-employed with the work opportunities. Sadly though, our schools and teachers don't know how train kids for the modern world. Perhaps we should look at who we bring in as teachers and what we value in our curriculum.

There is no easy solution though, as one size does not fit all.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

the challenge is marrying under-employed with the work opportunities. Sadly though, our schools and teachers don't know how train kids for the modern world. Perhaps we should look at who we bring in as teachers and what we value in our curriculum.
Is it the easy answer to blame the teachers ahead of those writing a curriculum? Especially when the jobs market moves at the rate it does, with obsolesence in entire industries if given enough time?

Here, I agree with you.

However, I don't see how your post applies to mine, except very peripherally.

Last edited:

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

‘so costellos baby boom gets a free pass, because ‘stuff’?

Jun 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I suspect that birth rates might improve if:
- the income tax framework didn't massively favour double-income, no kid households over single income (mainly dad) + kids
- the superannuation framework did a better job of protecting mums' retirement prospects
- more generous parental leave were made available to both parents so both could work part-time during the formative years.
- there existed some kind of income protection framework for women of young children who need to leave their breadwinning, but deadbeat, husband (e.g., in cases of abuse/DV)

Possibly the most riskiest thing, for so many reasons, a person can do is get pregnant. If we want to get the birth rate up, perhaps it's worth trying to reduce that risk.

- the income tax framework didn't massively favour double-income, no kid households over single income (mainly dad) + kids
- the superannuation framework did a better job of protecting mums' retirement prospects
- more generous parental leave were made available to both parents so both could work part-time during the formative years.
- there existed some kind of income protection framework for women of young children who need to leave their breadwinning, but deadbeat, husband (e.g., in cases of abuse/DV)

Possibly the most riskiest thing, for so many reasons, a person can do is get pregnant. If we want to get the birth rate up, perhaps it's worth trying to reduce that risk.

Spot on!

We are moving in the right direction with some companies offering 12 months maternity. But this should be, just as you outlined, rolled out by government. That way the self employed, large and small company employees are treated the same.

Free childcare and properly funded public education should be at the forefront of any conversation before you go barebacking for the country.

firstly I agree childcare should be free

second if not free, identify there is a complete failure in childcare land rents. Land rental is 13-18% of childcare revenues. That equates to 9-18 times normal rental returns from a back of the envelop. So if not free childcare, the centres (the land and buildings) should be government owned and charge sensible rents. After all the govt would save $ if the subsidies could be less, as they aren't making rich land owners richer.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Ladies, produce more kids, Australia needs the fruit pickers of the future. There's a PR campaign challenge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was just left to the market to set the price for picking fruit, it would be a good gig.

Instead of farmers getting on ACA having a whinge about the fact they can't attract workers, just raise the wages. If it makes the whole enterprise uneconomic, then..... 🤷‍♂️

I always love farmers who bitch about govt getting in the way of the "free market", but then in the same breathe demand tariff protection from imports, subsidies to better compete in overseas markets, and of course the need to source cheap overseas labour outside normal foreign labour rules

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
I always love farmers who b*tch about govt getting in the way of the "free market", but then in the same breathe demand tariff protection from imports, subsidies to better compete in overseas markets, and of course the need to source cheap overseas labour outside normal foreign labour rules
The whole thing really does give me the shits

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)

In an increasingly casualised economy, there's also less incentive for responsible people to have kids. Your responsibilities to your child don't vary when your income does.

One would hence think that to encourage higher birth rates, we must stabilise the employment market or at least create a stable source of income. If we don't, that leaves the door open for mass immigration, which has its own issues.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why would any couple entertain having more than 1-2 kids max knowing that unless they are in a strong financial position they will provide a pretty bog standard way of life for them and there kids.

Josh thinks its all popping a kid out, heading down to get a few packs of nappies and the rest sorts itself out.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Why would any couple entertain having more than 1-2 kids max knowing that unless they are in a strong financial position they will provide a pretty bog standard way of life for them and there kids.

Josh thinks its all popping a kid out, heading down to get a few packs of nappies and the rest sorts itself out.

Which reflects what I've been saying for years: that our politicians are out of touch.

May not be overly insightful, but the observation is no less damning for its obviousness.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
My point is if Costello could abandn market philosophy and social engineer/stimulate a baby boom 18 years ago, the current government should feel honour bound to social engineer some meaningful careers for them now they are leaving school.

not just spin some jobs on growth, market economy will provide bullshit

My point is if Costello could abandn market philosophy and social engineer/stimulate a baby boom 18 years ago, the current government should feel honour bound to social engineer some meaningful careers for them now they are leaving school.

not just spin some jobs on growth, market economy will provide bullshit

they created Hungry Jacks internships, what more you want??

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Which reflects what I've been saying for years: that our politicians are out of touch.

May not be overly insightful, but the observation is no less damning for its obviousness.
I remember a debate Keating v Howard when Martin randomly asked "How much is a carton of milk at the moment?" when Keating obviously had no clue you could see little Johny sensed the moment and jumped all over it.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I remember a debate Keating v Howard when Martin randomly asked "How much is a carton of milk at the moment?" when Keating obviously had no clue you could see little Johny sensed the moment and jumped all over it.

Or Abbott getting off the stage in that televised town hall debate "Im bringing myself down to the level of the people" didn't see him refusing his entitlements now hes working for a foreign power.

Imelda Marcos used to be good at these stunts too

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)

Or Abbott getting off the stage in that televised town hall debate "Im bringing myself down to the level of the people" didn't see him refusing his entitlements now hes working for a foreign power.

Imelda Marcos used to be good at these stunts too

Hockey and Cormann smoking cigars on the balcony while lecturing Australians about entitlement and thrift will for mine forever remain the paragon of political hypocrisy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back