Coalition baby boom: put your money where your mouth is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nothing in that article makes it appear the government will make it any more enticing to have a kid.

Easy fixes include:
- Free childcare (or extremely subsidised to a negiglable outlay);
- Assist in the COL i.e. do something about housing!? Even by providing social/ low income housing;
- Massive investment in education to bring our system back up to a reasonable standard.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
This environment for school/uni leavers reminds me of my time in 1975. It was carnage that no one saw coming. It’s why I regard myself as gen x rather than a boomer

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Any statistical evidence of a small baby boom in the early 2000s? I suspect the current cohort of school leavers are more visible because there are few jobs for them to go to, not because there are more school leavers.

Most schools putting on an extra class of pupils for a significant period of years would be solid evidence. More than a few percent maybe 12-18% The first batch of yr 12s will be leaving this year.
Costellos baby bonus may not be the sole reason, but it exists. a huge drop in overseas tertiary students should provide a part answer, but it will cost the treasury.
But the whole reason given was so there is less reliance on immigrants. Time for the coalition to put their money where their mouth is.

If we are serious about not relying so much on immigrants, then the costs of uni or training need to be addressed. its a little but more then the $6k provided as the baby bonus

As an aside, maybe the 'school halls' waste wasn't so bad after all?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back