Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
And he won't quit Parliament.

Resources Minister Matt Canavan has quit Cabinet after his mother told him he was an Italian citizen last week.

The conservative Queensland senator was the minister for resources and northern Australia and is considered a rising star of the National Party.

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce will take over Senator Canavan's Cabinet responsibilities while his eligibility is determined by the High Court.

It comes just weeks after two Greens senators, Larissa Waters and Scott Ludlam, resigned from Federal Parliament due to their own dual citizenship.

When Mr Ludlam resigned, claiming he had no idea he was a New Zealand citizen, the Prime Minister described it as a "remarkable oversight".

The constitution disqualifies potential candidates from election if they hold dual or plural citizenship.

Senator Canavan, who was elected in 2013, told reporters in Brisbane that he was not born in Italy and had never visited the country.

His mother, who has never visited Italy either and was born in Australia, registered herself and her son for overseas citizenship at the Italian consulate in Brisbane in 2006.

"According to the Italian Government, I am a citizen of Italy," Senator Canavan said.

More: http://abc.net.au/news/2017-07-25/matt-canavan-citizenship-crisis-resigns-from-cabinet/8742702?pfmredir=sm

"I had no knowledge that I had become an Italian citizen, nor had I requested to become an Italian citizen," he said.

"Following the resignation of [former] senators Ludlam and Waters last week, my mother raised with me the possibility that I was, in fact, an Italian citizen on Tuesday evening."

*Curb Your Enthusiasm theme plays*

Here's what you need to do to start an application for Italian citizenship. Defies belief that someone's mother could complete the process without her adult son's knowledge.

Italian citizenship application will attract the administrative fee of approximately $455 that must be paid in cash or Australia Post Money Order or Bank Cheque on the day of the appointment.
Application fee is not refundable regardless of the outcome of your citizenship application.

On the day of your appointment please make sure that you have the mandatory following:
  1. A valid Australian Passport*
  2. A valid Driver licence issued in Victoria or Tasmania with your current address (a driver licence on its own is not considered to be a form of I.D.)
  3. Your birth certificate
  4. The application fee (see table) payable in cash or Australia Post Money Order or Bank Cheque.
Additionally to the above, you are encouraged to bring along all the documentation that you may already have to prove your Italian citizenship entitlement (birth, marriage, naturalization certificates etc..).​

http://www.consmelbourne.esteri.it/consolato_melbourne/en/per-i-cittadini/comites.html

His mother got him Italian citizenship and didn't tell him for 11 years. That's the story he's running with.
Yeah except you get slaughtered with mail with upcomming italian elections. Same thing in croatia.

Unleas he thought italy just wanted his opinion in their 4 elections because he's a cool dude....

His mother got him Italian citizenship and didn't tell him for 11 years. That's the story he's running with.

Matteo, mio figlio. Can I borrow your Australian Passport, Victorian Driving licence and birth certificate? And while you're at it, write us a cheque for
$455 payable to Australia Post. I need them to pick up another case of Cianti from the bottle-o.

WINK!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's italian. I reckon he's in s**t more when he see's her then Malcolm
If the story is true she was the one that alerted him. Imagine being the proud mum whose boy is in cabinet before he's 40, and then realising you're the one who f***ed it up for him. It must be like the polar opposite of what Jamie Briggs' ma felt.

No wonder the government is falling apart at the seams. Luckily, Matt Canavan is a Senator, because imagine what would've happened if he was a Member of the House of Representatives, and considering the Coalition has a 1 seat margin....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it difficult to believe that any country would grant an adult citizenship without so much as a signature.
I put this in another thread, probably belongs in this thread.

I can't speak about Canavan, I don't know his situation.

I've looked into this whole issue for personal reasons a while back. From what I understand, it's not a case of filling out a form and suddenly you're an Italian citizen. The process is to affirm that you are an Italian citizen, by virtue of having an Italian parent.

Here's an example.

• Joe Italiano migrates to Australia in 1960
  • He has a son called Paul in 1964. Under the law of both Italy and Australia, Paul is both Italian and Australian.
  • Joe gains his Australian citizenship in 1965. That act renounces his Italian citizenship, but has no impact on his son.
  • Joe has a daughter called Maria in 1966. Joe is no longer Italian, so Maria has only citizenship of Australia.

Fast forward 50 years. Paul can pass his Italian citizenship down his side of the family tree. All his descendants are Italian under Italian law, both now and into the future. Maria wasn't Italian when she was born, so her descendants are not Italian.

A grandson of Paul wants to move to Italy. He's Italian under Italian law, but Italy has no idea who he is. He gathers up all the required birth and marriage certificates to prove his birthright, fills out the required forms, pays the cash, waits the years it takes for all the paperwork to work it's way though the Italian consulate, and eventually ends up with an Italian passport.

People like Paul Jr. are not applying to be Italian. They have always been Italian.

I'd give Canavan a smidge more leeway than the others because Italy has serious attachment issues, his family could have moved out here in the gold rush days and still be Italian. But really, another too stupid for the Senate.

These people are hoping to be lawmakers. Have the professional ethics to actually look into these issues and get some legal advice. It's not hard to renounce a citizenship or potential citizenship if you know about it in the first place.

People like Paul Jr. are not applying to be Italian. They have always been Italian.

No, he is not, and never has been, Italian. He is eligible to claim Italian citizenship. But he isnt Italian before then because as you said, they have NFI who he is.

Being eligable for a citizenship is NOT the same as taking it up and actually being a citizen, and I dont know how you've managed to conflate the two.

Last edited:
No, he is not, and never has been, Italian. He is eligible to claim Italian citizenship. But he isnt Italian before then because as you said, they have NFI who he is.

Being eligable for a citizenship is NOT the same as taking it up and actually being a citizen, and I dont know how you've managed to conflate the two.
Italian law stipulates that the acquisition of citizenship is automatic upon birth in such a case.

http://www.esteri.it/mae/en/italiani_nel_mondo/serviziconsolari/cittadinanza.html?LANG=EN

Whether or not that particular scenario falls foul of s.44 is for the High Court to decide, but it appears that he is in some trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back