Coalition victory how?

Remove this Banner Ad

I always read these sorts of whines as the same translation.

"I only like democracy when my side wins"

Oh, my dislike for her has more to do with her misandrist personality than anything.

She's the sort of person who'll gee up people who share her views but leave everybody else cold.

Sounds like you're doing it pretty tough...

Just came back from a long weekend down in Margaret River staying at a hotel with a balcony overlooking the Forrest , drinking some of Australia’s best wine & beer and eating till food comas.

It’s not about me, it’s not about you. It’s about what’s best for our country and the future for generations to come.

We voted back in a Party that literally had no new policies? And ran scare campaigns the whole time.

This election result proved what a joke we are and why we are a joke on the world stage. We’re becoming more and more irrelevant and going backwards in a hurry.

Tony Abbott’s demise. Isn’t just Australia happy about this! Scomo must be over the ******* moon.

How? One word - Shorten.
Yep
Albo at the head of that campaign likely wins

They took too big a risk on an unpopular leader and hoped for an Abbott 2013-esque win despite the polls.

I think given the last 12 years of politics, the person at the head of your party is as important as your policies.

Yep
Albo at the head of that campaign likely wins

They took too big a risk on an unpopular leader and hoped for an Abbott 2013-esque win despite the polls.

I think given the last 12 years of politics, the person at the head of your party is as important as your policies.

If he ran the same sort of campaign as Abbott (mostly negative, small-target, a bit of positivity here and there), I think he would he achieved a much better result because he would have given the LNP little to aim at.

Federal governments need to represent the whole country - the clue is in the word federal. If Labor didn't convince Queensland that it was time for change, that doesn't mean Queenslanders are bad people, it means Labor needs to make a better case.

And Shorten never once pretended he’d represent the whole country, he targeted the voters he wanted with his divisive policies and it didn’t work.

And Shorten never once pretended he’d represent the whole country, he targeted the voters he wanted with his divisive policies and it didn’t work.
As someone who stridently supported Labor this election, you are dead right. The ALP manifesto was a giant '**** you' to the top end of town. As we can see, however, middle Australia largely felt targeted as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who stridently supported Labor this election, you are dead right. The ALP manifesto was a giant '**** you' to the top end of town. As we can see, however, middle Australia largely felt targeted as well.
The sad fact is that the "Rich" will always be able to avoid the tax net aimed at them but the net will always capture the lower and middle class.

What, telling the 6% that make up the loaded older Australians that getting a gift of $6 billion per annum from the people that actually pay tax is wrong?

That's all he had to say but Labor thought that it was talking to the intellectual classes, most of which vote Labor anyway and tried to sell the intricacies where as the sloganeering, jingoistic language of the Evangelist was simple in it's prejudice.

Half of those 6% were probably lifelong Labor voters who put self interest in front of party loyalty.

Maybe, maybe not.

It worked for me, and I doubt that I'm unique.

Look at it this way, if you can't afford something do you:

a) Cry/Stamp feet/Blame some-one else.
b) Save up for it.
c) Try to find it cheaper.
d) Go without.

To my way of thinking there are an awful lot of people out there today doing a lot of a) and not a lot of anything else.

At some point ya just gotta make a sacrifice/take a swing.
To be fair, you can do a whilst doing any of b, c or d.

Aussies are massive whingers.

The other monumental blue was Shortens dickhead question to Morrison about whether he believed gays go to hell. He must of thought he was a shoe in to arrogantly play to his already converted, trendy inner city, LGXYZ SJW's types but it came off as an attack on Christianity for everyone else.

They need to purge the identity politics out of their core. Just hand it over to the greens and let them stew in their own mess with it while they can get back on the rails and start looking after the working class without calling them names.

Clive palmer didnt lose a damned thing

His preferences got the libs in - he’ll get his mine approved
Keep being told by the media that he's lost badly. He didn't lose s**t; his party nicked votes off Labor, which then proceeded to trickle back to the Coalition. Money spent on political advertising to gull people into voting for him without any intention of winning a seat, simply the intention of channeling preferences away from labor.

That it worked doesn't stop it from being transparent.

Keep being told by the media that he's lost badly. He didn't lose ****; his party nicked votes off Labor, which then proceeded to trickle back to the Coalition. Money spent on political advertising to gull people into voting for him without any intention of winning a seat, simply the intention of channeling preferences away from labor.

That it worked doesn't stop it from being transparent.
Nothing more than a complicated bribe

Federal governments need to represent the whole country - the clue is in the word federal. If Labor didn't convince Queensland that it was time for change, that doesn't mean Queenslanders are bad people, it means Labor needs to make a better case.
This.

If Labor was to return to the drawing board and say - ala Hillary Clinton - that the people who refused to vote for her were deplorables, that those who failed to vote for them were racist/homophobic, that the 'aspirational middle class' is the problem, then they are effectively dooming themselves to a long time in the wilderness. They need to be able to talk to each element of society and appeal to them personally, over and above the dictates of the media.

It's why negativity works ahead of positivity; much easier to say something to smear someone else than it is to appeal across a diverse base.

This.

If Labor was to return to the drawing board and say - ala Hillary Clinton - that the people who refused to vote for her were deplorables, that those who failed to vote for them were racist/homophobic, that the 'aspirational middle class' is the problem, then they are effectively dooming themselves to a long time in the wilderness. They need to be able to talk to each element of society and appeal to them personally, over and above the dictates of the media.

It's why negativity works ahead of positivity; much easier to say something to smear someone else than it is to appeal across a diverse base.
Half the problem is people not understanding policy.

ABED76AD-AB46-4E5F-91D1-C5A262FD6170.jpeg

Half the problem is people not understanding policy.

View attachment 677392
Ah, but you'd have to get that understanding out to everyone, and you'd need to ensure that the first message is either from you yourself - via political advertising, speeches, etc - or from a neutral source in the media. Labor are simply not going to get that kind of thing from any paper owned by Murdoch or Stokes.

It is much easier to be negative; you're feeding into what is already a binary discourse, and you're appealing to the inner gossip in every person listening. Sure, you're lowering the tenor of debate, but demonstrate first how taking the high road has ever won government in Australia.

Ah, but you'd have to get that understanding out to everyone, and you'd need to ensure that the first message is either from you yourself - via political advertising, speeches, etc - or from a neutral source in the media. Labor are simply not going to get that kind of thing from any paper owned by Murdoch or Stokes.

It is much easier to be negative; you're feeding into what is already a binary discourse, and you're appealing to the inner gossip in every person listening. Sure, you're lowering the tenor of debate, but demonstrate first how taking the high road has ever won government in Australia.
No s**t - no party will release a goddamned thing as policy that isnt pork barrelling till after the election now

Its worked twice for the liberals - it will be the new norm

Our policy is “we arent them”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back