Streaming Cobra Kai

Streaming Television

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
halfway through ep 2. This s**t is so predictable. Spoiler alert coming :)

they haven't even said a word to each other yet, but of course the nerd getting bullied will end up being with laruso's daughter. Can sniff it a mile away.

^^^edit - about a minute later after writing this he gazes at her. Gee I wonder how this ends.

Yeah it’s pretty average. Damn, I was hoping it would be better but at least it’s not ANOTHER ******* reality cooking show.

I’ll watch it, but it’s far from essential viewing.
Same, will watch it just for old times sake.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Teen love stories don’t hold much weight with me
I think that is only a secondary storyline, which is fine in this series.

The main storyline was reigniting Lawerence v Larusso rivalry (dick on billboard was a classic!) and watching Johnny finally growing as a person, that possibly the old Cobra Kai ways were wrong. The way he was so conflicted when his star pupil won was very good acting. Not to mention the final scene, which was bad ass. Makes me think there might be a second series.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Good series, William Zabka is the best part of it, and his storyline is also the best in my opinion. He has the arc of having to get his life in order, and is the most relatable.

I noticed a bit of an anti-SJW agenda which is interesting. I suppose they are targeting 80s kids who would not be into today's version of political correctness, so it makes sense.

I didn't like how the relationships broke down for no good reason. LaRusso's daughter gets grounded so Miguel thinks she is breaking up with him and he gets drunk and hits her. It's a believable chain of circumstances but it doesn't tell much of a story.

I also didn't like Johnny Lawrence's kid.

Daniel LaRusso also didn't need to tell Johnny at the end that he got what he wanted. From a writing perspective it was a bit heavy handed, but as a character it was unnecessary, as Johnny was trying to show concern and perhaps pride in his son.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this series. I liked some of the 80s references, such as Rocky III, and I was hoping they would have a Rocky III moment at the end, although that never happened. The main young character/s turning out to be the bad guys was a nice surprise and unusual for a teen show.

I would centre the show more around Johnny and his struggles from now on, assuming they go into Season 2.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As an 80’d kid, I loved the story (similar to how I love Stranger Things for the nostalgia as part of what makes that so good). It did feel a bit like the character went against type with Miguel at the party, but even more so with how he was going to beat up on Robbie to show Sam she was wrong. The only bit where the story went off the rails at all.

Other then that the slow bonding of Johnny and Daniel over missing fathers was good. With Sam busting out the moves at the end, hopefully we’ll see her as more then just the love interest for season 2. And there’s got to be a season 2 you’d think.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Loved it. It was handled so much better than anybody could have reasonably expected. Yeah, it banked on some nostalgia, and the stories weren't fresh in many ways, but they were done with a real nuance, a real class about them that made everything feel more genuine. The series has excellent, it's very patient but never drags. Some moments do pass too quick though.

I love how for much of it, Johnny and Daniel's sides are presented with equal time, neither is painted as wrong or right and the POV for each is shown enough for the audience to understand. It feels mature in the way that it isn't simply telling us who the goodies and baddies are anymore, except in a few subplots.

I love how Johnny's anti PC stuff isn't over the top, nor is it heavy handed with the mocking of it by other characters to the point where he comes off as a out of touch middle aged man. His ways aren't shown to be entirely outdated and ineffective to the kids he is teaching.

It's just so good. It's a 10/10 series for me.

I can only hope that the next season continues with the same attitudes, where Johnny and Cobra Kai don't revert to the caricatures of the films, and that they find a way to continue the Daniel - Johnny rivalry, where there is genuine dislike between them that goes beyond competition, and I hope both the daughter and son of the two are still in the grey character wise to a degree, making questionable decisions. White knighting them at the expense of Miguel could be a real killer.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
As an 80’d kid, I loved the story (similar to how I love Stranger Things for the nostalgia as part of what makes that so good). It did feel a bit like the character went against type with Miguel at the party, but even more do with how he was going to beat up on Robbie to show Sam she was wrong. The only. It where the story went off the rails at all.

I dunno. Johnny gets in his ear. He observes her lying about him to Daniel. He sees her having fun with some random guy. She doesn't answer any of his calls then turns up to a party she didn't know he was going to be at with that guy. He's young, drunk, and has confidence issues. It seemed natural to me.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Awesome series. Watched episodes 3-10 one after another tonight. Loved it.

Eps 1&2 were average but got better towards the end of 2. Pissed myself laughing half the time. Loved the music referencing the first karate kid, going to that theme park awesome haha brought back memories. Training montage like daniel used to do with miyagi also great. Cobra Kai outfits and the way they ran through chanting Cobra kai at the tournament. Diaz was nice and aggressive in the comp, resembling what Johnny was like. Awesome to see his transformation.

The end as well with Kreese rocking up made me laugh. Will be a second season for sure. Especially after daniel takes Lawrence Jnr to miyagi's and his daughter training.

bring back this campaigner. His idiocy is hilarious. Love his character.

Back