VFL Coburg hosts Sandringham final practice match @ Piranha Park Good Friday

SaintJunior

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Went to the game and it was all a bit
Scrappy.

My thoughts on the players were as follows.

Hickey played better as the game went on, took a few strong marks and was good in the middle. Saw him against the same ruckman in the VFL last year and thought last year that he was beaten and allowed himself to be physically man handled not the case yesterday.

Dunstan was best on ground by a mile was everywhere, way to good for this level . Copped a knock in the face thought he had broken his nose but came back on and dominated.

Lonie kicked a few and got a bit of the ball. He is too good at VFL level but there was two areas of his game that are a concern that I do not think he can correct. Firstly at least twice he had the ball lkicked to his advantage with and both times he did not have the speed to capitalise. The other are was tackles not sticking. If you are as small as he is you
need speed or tricks. Does not appear to have speed and I ammot sure what is trick is. Has a real dip but needs to add something to his game.

Goddard was good down back, took some nice pack marks used the balk well, most pleasing was that he looked like he was covering the ground as good as I have seen him.

Austin was steady is a nice kick had him behind Hodsaed on yesterday’s game.

Battle was steady, don’t be fooled by the three goals there were a couple of cheap goals. Worked hard using his endurance, don’t think he has the size to be a key forward at AFL level more a Jack Gunstan type.

Phillips was okay but not a real standout.

White played well, like him as a player strong in the contest and got a bit of the ball.Needs to learn to lower his eyes instead of kicking long all the time.

Coffield was super impressive so composed for a kid and looks a good decision maker. Took the game on and used the ball well. Got crunched but was okay, shocking hair cut.

Wright kicked a goal but did not do a lot and has very little composure.

McKenzie no real impact on the game.

Rice was excellent best defender on the ground. Tough and kicked it well. One of the leading possession getters despite being stuck on the bench for nearly 10 minutes due to his rotation not coming off. Not an athlete but a footballer.

Joyce was steady but has improved a heap since last season. Good pace a reasonable kick but would be behind Goddard and Austin.

Cornelllan was a bit hot and cold. But he is so quick and has a good leap, thumping kick. Has something about him, would like to see him use his pace a bit more defensively.

Marshall played well and kicked a couple. Is really good around the ground. Issue I see is that he gets his hands to a lot of marks and puts them down. Improve this and we have a player as he can kick and get the footy.

Weller played well and kicked five had a heap of the ball. Couple of cheap goals out the back but was excellent .

Langlands did not get a heap of it but has some X factor with his pace and kicking.

Miller struggled and there were a couple of times that his intensity was not great.

On what i saw I would consider the following for seniors.

Dunstan
Weller
Coffield
Rice
Hickey
Marshall
White

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Scrappy.

Hickey played better as the game went on, took a few strong marks and was good in the middle. Saw him against the same ruckman in the VFL last year and thought last year that he was beaten and allowed himself to be physically man handled not the case yesterday.

Dunstan was best on ground by a mile was everywhere, way to good for this level . Copped a knock in the face thought he had broken his nose but came back on and dominated.

Lonie kicked a few and got a bit of the ball. He is too good at VFL level but there was two areas of his game that are a concern that I do not think he can correct. Firstly at least twice he had the ball lkicked to his advantage with and both times he did not have the speed to capitalise. The other are was tackles not sticking. If you are as small as he is you
need speed or tricks. Does not appear to have speed and I ammot sure what is trick is. Has a real dip but needs to add something to his game.

Goddard was good down back, took some nice pack marks used the balk well, most pleasing was that he looked like he was covering the ground as good as I have seen him.

Battle was steady, don’t be fooled by the three goals there were a couple of cheap goals. Worked hard using his endurance, don’t think he has the size to be a key forward at AFL level more a Jack Gunstan type.

White played well, like him as a player strong in the contest and got a bit of the ball.Needs to learn to lower his eyes instead of kicking long all the time.

Coffield was super impressive so composed for a kid and looks a good decision maker. Took the game on and used the ball well. Got crunched but was okay, shocking hair cut.

Rice was excellent best defender on the ground. Tough and kicked it well. One of the leading possession getters despite being stuck on the bench for nearly 10 minutes due to his rotation not coming off. Not an athlete but a footballer.

Joyce was steady but has improved a heap since last season. Good pace a reasonable kick but would be behind Goddard and Austin.

Cornelllan was a bit hot and cold. But he is so quick and has a good leap, thumping kick. Has something about him, would like to see him use his pace a bit more defensively.

Marshall played well and kicked a couple. Is really good around the ground. Issue I see is that he gets his hands to a lot of marks and puts them down. Improve this and we have a player as he can kick and get the footy.

Weller played well and kicked five had a heap of the ball. Couple of cheap goals out the back but was excellent .

Langlands did not get a heap of it but has some X factor with his pace and kicking.

Miller struggled and there were a couple of times that his intensity was not great.

Dunstan
Weller
Coffield
Rice
Hickey
Marshall
White
3 votes - SaintJunior

Mighty performance. Good intel.

Clavarino?
Gilbert?

SaintJunior

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
3 votes - SaintJunior

Mighty performance. Good intel.

Clavarino?
Gilbert?
Forgot Clavarino, I am a fan but did not notice him a lot but what he did do was good reads the ball well in the air and is quite quick. Needs some muscle I would think to compete at AFL level.

Gilbert was carry over emergency and did not play.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Scrappy.

Dunstan
Weller
Coffield
Rice
Hickey
Marshall
White
Awesome write up. Thanks heaps. Really valid points re. Lonie.

Was Wright or DMac playing?

Back