2nds COBURG v FOOTSCRAY Saturday 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

We reduced rotations and rested a couple after we got 40 points ahead. The team was s massively top heavy so they ran really well. Team needs more runners and pace badly.

Jong was in the middle mainly and competed really well.
And BTC, please tell us he played a good game.

BTC gets over 50 hit outs and kicks 50 metre goals and doesn't get picked so bringing Roughead back after one week would be odd.
As Dogs_R_Us replied in the post below yours more a reflection on how our match selection has been going for the last 18 months.

From best to worst

Jong - Played at a high level intensity, attacked the contest and won a bit of it. Just his ball use clearly hasn't improved and it was detrimental to the team at times. Was probably still our best out of the AFL players all in all but I've seen him play a fair bit better at this level

Greene - best performance i've seen from him this year. Moved really well and got in better position defensively. He still needs to get involved a bit more for my liking but he's shown definite improvement since I last saw him.

Campbell - Solid. Good in the ruck contests and his tap work was pretty good. Didn't get involved a great deal around the ground and his marking still needs work. Was up against a much shorter opponent so i expect a little better from him. Kicked a goal from a 50m penalty and gave away an undiscplined 50m too.

Dunkley - Just ok. Rotated mid/fwd and got involved a bit on the inside. Don't remember him doing anything influential.

Roughead - decent in the ruck contests and good tapwork. I expect him to have more influence at this level especially aerially against a short opponent. Not really leaping as high and looking slow unfortunately

Roberts - started well up fwd but then did little after that. Has the smarts, just doesn't get enough seperation on the lead and his hands aren't quite good enough.

Young - poor game by the standard he's set for himself. Helped his team mates by getting across and spoiling with his golden fist. Disposal still needs some work and needs to continue to improve one on one

Porter - i like his hardness and willingness to get his hands dirty. It's the outside game that clearly needs work and unfortunately I haven't seen much improvement in this part of his game

Adams - started forward and struggled to get involved. Played from behind a lot and looked lost. Switched to defence where he looked more comfortable. Still looks like he could do with another game or two in the VFL

Mullenger-McHugh - started slowly, improved as the game went on. Rotated fwd/back. Not showing the level of improvement required so far and still looking very slight.

Collins - was off early with what i think was a finger injury. Continued on and did some ok things. Was just good to see him back out there.

Lynch - soft, poor defensively and got little of it. The times that he did get it, he didn't do a lot with it. I cringe every time someone mentions that we should bring him into the side. He's the worst player on our list and nowhere near AFL standard.

Hayes and William were again good, better then most of our AFL listed players

Thanks gcbc, we seldom get a full and considered rundown of the senior players in the VFL.:thumbsu: Especially appreciated by those of us living a long way from Melbourne.

Appreciate your bluntness re Lynch. Not really a surprise but no point beating around the bush. Anyone else you think is not worthy of further consideration?

I take it that generally you weren't overwhelmed by what's on offer. Given we have Wood, Macrae, Boyd out this week and question marks over McLean, Bont and Trengove, who would you bring in?

Thanks gcbc, we seldom get a full and considered rundown of the senior players in the VFL.:thumbsu: Especially appreciated by those of us living a long way from Melbourne.

Appreciate your bluntness re Lynch. Not really a surprise but no point beating around the bush. Anyone else you think is not worthy of further consideration?

I take it that generally you weren't overwhelmed by what's on offer. Given we have Wood, Macrae, Boyd out this week and question marks over McLean, Bont and Trengove, who would you bring in?

It was a poor showing, sadly there wasn't much to get excited about. Coburg are a very poor footy side and we only just got over the line. Greene is perhaps the only one that got me a little bit excited, I'd like to see him come into the side this week. As for the others Jong, Dunkley and Campbell did enough to be considered. Adams and Young were less then convincing but we may need one of them. There's really no obvious choice to bring in.

As for others that look a bust. NMM is looking like the same footballer as last year. Has some good patches, no where near enough consistency. He doesn't have the smarts, foot skills and still hasn't put much bulk on.
I have low opinion of a few others, but I'll reserve my judgement on them for now.

Zpiko3W.png

BMoV1ne.png

Poor kick to handball ratio from Coburg plus low inside 50 count suggests
a game played in their back half for most of the day. May as well bring
back Dunkley on the back of a near 100 point performance although
those stats are piss poor.

J. Corigliano: Coburg
B. Cavarra, B. Bewley: Williamstown
W. Hayes: Footscray
Would take all four well ahead of players on our list at the moment.

Note: There are many more, sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hayes is small enough to turn off most teams as anything other than a rookie, William is someone who we'll want to jump on as a late second, early third rounder.

Too small for the midfield but he’s a really smart footballer who gets the ball who always does something with it. Can’t see why he couldn’t be a really good small forward or defender.

Shows up our AFL listed guys like Jong, Hineychurch and Dunkley week after week.

Too small for the midfield but he’s a really smart footballer who gets the ball who always does something with it. Can’t see why he couldn’t be a really good small forward or defender.

Shows up our AFL listed guys like Jong, Hineychurch and Dunkley week after week.
Would he get a senior game if we had a normal injury list of say only 4-5 unavailable? Seems a bit like handy depth (ie better than Honey etc) but not a "pick me" type.

Would he get a senior game if we had a normal injury list of say only 4-5 unavailable? Seems a bit like handy depth (ie better than Honey etc) but not a "pick me" type.

How you would know? He has never been in an AFL environment.

Hannan and Gowers were good VFL footballers but are developing into AFL footballers. He has looked a lot better than either of those two. He also seems to be improving.

He has some elite traits imo- his disposal and a prolific ball winner who kicks goals. He will win our b and f by a mile this year.

Ps 20 disposals to half time day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back