Roast Cochrane: GC Suns want priority pick from AFL commission!

douglyzia

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
facebook_1562590467045-jpg.705957

Dew: I need to take a piss NOW!
Bald guy: Here let me give you some privacy.
Guy on the left: Damn dude, what did Nikki see in you?

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You just know the AFL will give GC pick 1&2.
Hey, I would love to know what GC gave us to release Josh Francou to them after he was still contracted to us. I bet nothing would be the answer. Do those flogs a favor and they try and screw us out of pick or two.

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gold coast will be merged in time. Afl made a very big error in putting a 2nd team in QLD. Just pure greed at the expense of the long term competition. Like I said above even if you gave them the first 5 picks it will not help them. They need experience and fast. We could help them with that and as a club we should be going to the Afl with a deal that involves some of our experienced players for luko and rankine. Gold coast need a bigger salary cap but you know who will kick up a stink about that? Vic clubs. They have been pillaging Gold coast for years and its about time Vic clubs payed for it. If GC dont improve in 3 years merge them with lions and get rid of a vic club at the same time. The VFL loves to dance around problems instead of fixing them.

The Brisbane/Fitzroy/Gold Coast Lions football club

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would we have made the deal with Carlton last year knowing GC were going to get priority picks at the top end? Whats the incentive to future trade like we did last year, picking out clubs where we think were a chance at a top 3 pick.

This whole competition is ****ed.

It really shouldnt surprise me or really annoy me but I was so keen on Anderson and you can guarentee its going to happen.

* Gold Coast, just send them to Tassie who actually deserve a team.

Rant over.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
They also want to imprison 18 year olds up there for 4 years.

Rankine and Luko not extending despite having contracts pushed under their noses since arriving must suck for them.

Now they want to go after 2 best mates who are ranked 1 and 2 in the draft.

AFL needs to turn off the life support
Club will be merged in time. Gc needs experienced players. The last resort is to give them an extra couple of million in the salary cap for the next 3 years. Would be funny gold coast poaching back talent from those Vic vultures who have sucked the life out of the Suns.

mcattack

All Australian
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Brisbane/Fitzroy/Gold Coast Lions football club
I'd guess a merger with lions most likely to minimize the damage of a total and utter balls up. GC is a grave yard for sporting teams over the years. Can't see the sun setting on GC till Gill gone and at least another 10 passes so AFL /VFL can save face.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Club will be merged in time. Gc needs experienced players. The last resort is to give them an extra couple of million in the salary cap for the next 3 years. Would be funny gold coast poaching back talent from those Vic vultures who have sucked the life out of the Suns.

The problem is that it is so hard to get players out of Victoria that the most likely scenario is they throw money at some of our players.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem is that it is so hard to get players out of Victoria that the most likely scenario is they throw money at some of our players.
Afl could put in a stipulation in that the extra salary cap can only be used with players from the clubs that have pillaged suns players. Is only fair. The afl should have forseen the problems at the suns and set up this type of system prior. Would have made victorian clubs think twice in trading in a suns player if there was a tax attached to it. The Afl caused this whole problem.

Last edited:

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would we have made the deal with Carlton last year knowing GC were going to get priority picks at the top end? Whats the incentive to future trade like we did last year, picking out clubs where we think were a chance at a top 3 pick.

This whole competition is f’ed.

It really shouldnt surprise me or really annoy me but I was so keen on Anderson and you can guarentee its going to happen.
I appreciate what you are saying and I will agree wholeheartedly if they do end up with pick 1 or 2 as compensation. Hold fire until it happens though. Carlton and Gold Coast have both been asking for charity for at least the last 3 years and I think Brisbane and North Melbourne did too in 2017. Out of those 8 requests, I think all that the AFL have granted is 1 end of first round pick to Gold Coast in 2017 and priority access too 3 mature age draftees in 2018 to each of Carlton and Gold Coast. The AFL have made it very clear in the last few years that the time of receiving priority picks at the top of the draft is over.

With all that being said, it will be even more disappointing now if Gold Coast do get pick 1 or 2 this year!

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I somewhat agree however it’s probably not a good look for us to be preempting where Carlton will finish just yet.
Thought this was fair initially, but really, whether we get 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10 from Carlton, a PP to the suns pushes us back one. Unacceptable either way.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some years back Leigh Matthews said “Why do we have development teams (GWS and GC) in an elite competition?”

It’s a very good point. We know why they did it but geez it’s causing some problems now

Some years back Leigh Matthews said “Why do we have development teams (GWS and GC) in an elite competition?”

It’s a very good point. We know why they did it but geez it’s causing some problems now

Remove the Giants and Suns from the competition, cull the number of Victorian teams who are already on their knees both on and off the ground, like Saints, and Roos, send a team to Tassie and you will end up with a far superior and more enjoyable competition.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
So if the team put in a crap effort (again) this week and make GC look good - maybe it might show that they don't need a PP..#helpGClookgoodenoughfornoPP
GCS already have first dibs on several of their Academy lads, Connor Budarick could quite possibly draw a bid inside the first couple of rounds and the freakishly fast New Guinean Hewago Paul Oea will have interest from other clubs I would think as may clever forward Josh Gore.

Flying_as_One1991

Premium Gold
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Las Vegas Golden Knights, NY Mets
AFL won't let Gold Coast Fail too much invested into it, but lets face it, Who wants to play in the Gold Coast? AFL will cave give them what they want but they are a doomed franchise.

25 First round picks and still bottom tells you something is not right, Recruiting, list management and development been very poor. Can give them all the number 1's in the world wont make up for the fact this experiment just won't work in that kind of market.

Should been a team in Tasmania or NT before Gold Coast, Hell should be a team in Country Victoria before Gold Coast. It is a tourist destination not a footy destination.

Priority picks won't work, unless you sign all kids who get drafted to a minimum 4-5 year contract with a no trade clause and make all clubs pay premium pricing to secure any players.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Because its about market share and numbers and QLD has over 20% of Australias population, the AFL is hoping it can take advantage of the population

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
GCS already have first dibs on several of their Academy lads, Connor Budarick could quite possibly draw a bid inside the first couple of rounds and the freakishly fast New Guinean Hewago Paul Oea will have interest from other clubs I would think as may clever forward Josh Gore.
Look I am upset that there is a possibility that they could get a priority pick that will affect out very high pick somewhat. I have no idea if we would take Anderson if we had pick 2 (assuming rowell goes at pick 1) - Haggis might have someone else up his sleeve, but if it cost us say Anderson if Haggis was going to take him then that is just s**t - we took the risk to live trade and then the rules may just change when we look like we might get a great pick. But there are so many other ways, better ways, the AFL could assist GC than to compromise the top end of the draft with a PP. That they have some good talent in their academy they have access to should hopefully be one step in the path to blocking them from a PP. I am a sceptic, but I firmly believe that if we had not done the pick swap with Carlton, that it would lessen the chances of GC getting a PP as it would bump Carlton further down - the wrong narrative for the AFL

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Remove the Giants and Suns from the competition, cull the number of Victorian teams who are already on their knees both on and off the ground, like Saints, and Roos, send a team to Tassie and you will end up with a far superior and more enjoyable competition.
14 team comp is ideal and truly national. 1 from QLD, 2 from Nsw, 7 from Vic, 2 from Sa, 2 from Wa.
13 rounds and then 5 double up rounds dependant on ladder position. Means you would play your 5 double ups around similar standard teams home and away making the comp fairer and more equitable. Still have a top 8 with only 6 teams not qualifying. The bottom 200 players (4 teams) nationally will be cut resulting in a much higher standard comp. Merge gc and lions and get rid of saints, bulldogs and north.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
14 team comp is ideal and truly national. 1 from QLD, 2 from Nsw, 7 from Vic, 2 from Sa, 2 from Wa.

Try
QLD 1 - Brisbane
NSW 2 - Sydney, GWS
VIC 6 - Hawks, Cats, Tigers, Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne (kill Bulldogs, Saints, Norf, Carlton)
SA 2 - Crows, Port
WA 2 - Eagles, Dockers
TAS 1 - Tigers

and you've got 14 teams.

Try
QLD 1 - Brisbane
NSW 2 - Sydney, GWS
VIC 6 - Hawks, Cats, Tigers, Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne (kill Bulldogs, Saints, Norf, Carlton)
SA 2 - Crows, Port
WA 2 - Eagles, Dockers
TAS 1 - Tigers

and you've got 14 teams.

You do realise what you are suggesting, will dramatically improve the quality of almost every single aspect in AFL.

From coaches to players to umpiring to infrastructure to commercial investments to player payments and most importantly a fairer more equitable H&A series and Finals that is not compromised.

Maintain a Final 8, the 6 teams that dont make it go into a lottery to determine Pick 1-6, the grand final to be played at the venue of the highest ranked team.

Back