Roast Cochrane: GC Suns want priority pick from AFL commission!

Remove this Banner Ad

I somewhat agree however it’s probably not a good look for us to be preempting where Carlton will finish just yet.
Not sure I'd concede the benefit of the doubt to Fages and Chappy about prudently holding fire, but it would certainly be more ethical not to be jumping up and down about losing #2 pick, when we don't know what pick we actually stand to lose but insultingly preempts Carlton's continued shitness. Surely they could use the approach "considering where our clubs sit on the ladder at the moment, if that was to remain the case at the end of the year, then..."

....and they could finish with "and so * you Gil and your coterie of fu**wits" or something like that:)

Last edited:

Thought the same thing when Carlton were chasing a priority pick last year. They'd had top 5 picks 4 years running including 2 #1 picks (I think) and still stank, yet another high pick was supposed to fix their problems?

Because its about market share and numbers and QLD has over 20% of Australias population, the AFL is hoping it can take advantage of the population

I understand that which is why I said “we know why they did it”, just making the point it hasn’t been handled well:thumbsu:

Try
QLD 1 - Brisbane
NSW 2 - Sydney, GWS
VIC 6 - Hawks, Cats, Tigers, Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne (kill Bulldogs, Saints, Norf, Carlton)
SA 2 - Crows, Port
WA 2 - Eagles, Dockers
TAS 1 - Tigers

and you've got 14 teams.

What about NT? Surely the Suns become the Northern Territory team - they wouldn't even need to change their logo !!!

I'd go the other way, and look at having the 9 teams in Victoria and 9 teams outside Victoria.

VIC 9 - Hawks, Cats, Tigers, Blues, Bombers, Pies, Demons. DROP 1 of these 3 - Bulldogs, Saints, Roos (reality is probably North come to Tasmania and become the devils)

QLD 1 - Lions
NSW 2 - Swans, GWS
NT 1 - Suns
SA 2 - Crows, Power
WA 2 - Eagles, Dockers
TAS 1 - Devils

17 home and away games - alternate each year with who you play home / away (ie play Carlton at MCG this year. AO next)

Then split the ladder in to three groups of 6. Play each other team in your group (5 games)

Top 6 are into the finals. Playing for finishing positions.
Top 2 of the next 6 are into the finals spots 7 and 8.
Bottom 6 teams get an extra 2nd round pick - playing for order. 1st gets 19, 2nd gets 20 etc...

Simples.

Imagine if Collingwood or Hawthorn were in line for pick 2 and gold coast came along asking for it for free... McGuire or Kennett would've already been out there and shot it down, letting the AFL know in no uncertain terms that would be unacceptable.

Meanwhile Chapman and Fagan are AWOL while Gill reads the mood in the room.

Agree totally - once again, we're happy to be reactive, and the good child, instead of getting on the front foot and proactively and vocally defending our interests.

Pissweak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First, they set up the teams and we get pillaged

Then, we finally get a shot at top end talent, they try to pillage us again

Nine years and not above 14th... wind it up

Where's Chapman?
Where's Fagan?
Where's Trigg? (oh sorry, it just feels familiar)

I understand that which is why I said “we know why they did it”, just making the point it hasn’t been handled well:thumbsu:

So many sports have tried it, they are all chasing the population $$$ pointless having two teams in SA with 7% of the population the advertising $$$ in QLD are worth so so much more money making the TV rights deal increse by mllions if they can get ratings up there

They will persist no question, they just need to work out a way to make it work, like you said they have done it wrong, if at first you don't succeed try again, just a different way, NSW and QLD at 50% of the population is the only way the AFL will grow and they want to grow

or China

Absolutely no chance Gold Coast get a priority pick. The AFL made a clear move away from high priority picks towards priority access to mature agers at the last draft which seemed to work and don’t see them going back on it. Gold Coast brought in Sam Collins who was very good for them at the start of the season before getting injured and Carlton used their pick to help bring in McGovern. Gold Coast know their problems aren’t to do with a lack of talent coming into the club, this is purely about trying to get both Rowell and Anderson and the AFL SHOULD see straight through it. In a way this could backfire on them because if they don’t get a priority pick and we get pick 1 or 2 they’ve already showed their hand. We know they’re super keen on getting both of those blokes to the club so they would lose some of the leverage they had in any deal for Rankine and/or Luko.

Last edited:
So many sports have tried it, they are all chasing the population $$$ pointless having two teams in SA with 7% of the population the advertising $$$ in QLD are worth so so much more money making the TV rights deal increse by mllions if they can get ratings up there

They will persist no question, they just need to work out a way to make it work, like you said they have done it wrong, if at first you don't succeed try again, just a different way, NSW and QLD at 50% of the population is the only way the AFL will grow and they want to grow

or China
I'm confident that GC will win a flag before Freo and probably get their 2nd and Third before Port and us.

GC will work.

Like everyone predicted the Dogs in 16 and Tigers in 17.
GC can't attract and retain talent ... think I read somewhere that they are at cap limit and players still want to leave. Even SA clubs are struggling with the constant grabbing of young talent by melb clubs - ie mid season draft from SANFL. Problem is there are too many teams now. I'm all for shedding a few Vic clubs though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back