Roast Cochrane: GC Suns want priority pick from AFL commission!

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The difference is; no other sporting league in Australia has the financial leverage that the AFL has. They can keep throwing money and resources at the Gold Coast many other leagues could not.
And how’s that working out?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
‘I am a very, very, very, very difficult man to say no to’

Who is this Cochrane guy? The school bully? Go and get stuffed you belligerent gorilla.
this is where the other 16 clubs (carlton don't count as they will be begging for a priority pick as well no doubt) need to front the AFL as one and demand no PP - work out other arrangements to help but no more draft manipulation

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So there’s no assurances even with the AFL money that it will and given what we’ve seen far it won’t.

Eventually they will need to pull the pin, just depends on how much money we’ve blown in the meantime

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
And how’s that working out?

Irrelevant

Your comment wasn’t about their on field success, it was about the viability of sporting organisations having a long term future. Something the AFL can offer but the A League, NBL, NRL can do.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Irrelevant

Your comment wasn’t about their on field success, it was about the viability of sporting organisations having a long term future. Something the AFL can offer but the A League, NBL, NRL can do.
My comment was about the future of the club. Without on field success, without the ability to retain their players, without being able to attract a crowd, it will never be viable. The AFL can prop it up it doesn’t mean it’s viable, it means the AFL has wasted a s**t load of money flogging a dead horse.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So there’s no assurances even with the AFL money that it will and given what we’ve seen far it won’t.

Eventually they will need to pull the pin, just depends on how much money we’ve blown in the meantime

Brisbane Bears and Sydney Swans were in the same boat in the mid 1980’ and they are ok now. I feel the Gold Coast will be ok, it might just take a bit longer than everyone anticipated.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
My comment was about the future of the club. Without on field success, without the ability to retain their players, without being able to attract a crowd, it will never be viable. The AFL can prop it up it doesn’t mean it’s viable, it means the AFL has wasted a s**t load of money flogging a dead horse.

As I just said, Sydney and Brisbane were a basket case. The AFL found a system and formula to make it work. They will do the same for the Gold Coast. It will just a bit longer than everyone hoped.

Crowman32

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
ADELAIDE
I think what the afl should do is offer 5-6 players between the age of 27-29 from other clubs double the amount of money they are currently paid to join gold coast.

Then offer those clubs higher compensation than they would normally get and they can use that compensation in future drafts not this year's draft.

Obviously gold coast would have to be increased for this.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I think what the afl should do is offer 5-6 players between the age of 27-29 from other clubs double the amount of money they are currently paid to join gold coast.

Then offer those clubs higher compensation than they would normally get and they can use that compensation in future drafts not this year's draft.

Obviously gold coast would have to be increased for this.
Then you get players going their for money not team reasons, see Ablett.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

You maybe right and clearly are on the results they have shown

BUT

The AFL need QLD and NSW to be the major watchers of AFL with over 50% of Australias population there, that is not up for debate, for the sport to continue to grow and the CEO to get his big bonuses and all clubs to get richer this MUST happen, its not an option

So the AFL aren't going to put it in the too hard basket they need to find a way to make it work, as you would be fully aware from your previous employer, the old saying you cant sell something if you don't have it applies here aswell.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
You maybe right and clearly are on the results they have shown

BUT

The AFL need QLD and NSW to be the major watchers of AFL with over 50% of Australias population there, that is not up for debate, for the sport to continue to grow and the CEO to get his big bonuses and all clubs to get richer this MUST happen, its not an option

So the AFL aren't going to put it in the too hard basket they need to find a way to make it work, as you would be fully aware from your previous employer, the old saying you cant sell something if you don't have it applies here aswell.
Its a slow burn. Participation numbers for juniors are rapidly rising in both states

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Honestly go on their board most are pretty open with how s**t their on field is, but they have a far better understanding of the offield stuff.

Back