Cockburn firming up

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the chance for freo council not ti be able to develop something would have been a dream come true for the council.

But they demolished Attwell arcade to build an apartment block. Attwell arcade was full of history. Melbourne have retained their arcades and filled them with interesting coffee shops ,cafes etc. The Freo council suck s**t.

You're are so right, as administrators the Fremantle council are a mob of tools. Impossible to deal with. The Freo mayor is a total knob.

This is 99% true, the mayor is the biggest tool out. I'll cede him 1% because he is a Freo member
I'm still not sure why the club would be asking them the council to pay them to leave though, totally unfair and if it derails the south/east rebuild it will be s**t for Freo

But they demolished Attwell arcade to build an apartment block. Attwell arcade was full of history. Melbourne have retained their arcades and filled them with interesting coffee shops ,cafes etc. The Freo council suck s**t.
It's not an apartment block, my office is located in the new office building. 3 levels, set back from the original facade. We had to move as they're planning to demolish our old office block (part of the old Myer complex). The Arcade is half back and looks better than before. Will be able to go through from cantonment to high st mall soon

It's not an apartment block, my office is located in the new office building. 3 levels, set back from the original facade. We had to move as they're planning to demolish our old office block (part of the old Myer complex). The Arcade is half back and looks better than before. Will be able to go through from cantonment to high st mall soon

Half retained and looks better than before.I've heard that said so many times when heritage is half pulled down. Half of the Perth city block fits that description and how boring has the city become. Being replaced with an office or apartment block. Does it really make any difference.

Half retained and looks better than before.I've heard that said so many times when heritage is half pulled down. Half of the Perth city block fits that description and how boring has the city become. Being replaced with an office or apartment block. Does it really make any difference.
I don't remember the Atwell arcade being anything special, just looked run down and outdated. The steel pole arches were rusting out at the bottom, and nothing was architecturally special about it. Didn't scream heritage put it that way.

This is pretty piss poor for the club to be asking to be paid to vacate a building they have chosen to vacate. The article has some interesting perspectives.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/frema...ver-fremantle-oval-lease-20160928-grqkmt.html

If you have people in FFC making these kind of 'business decisions' I'd be pretty concerned. It's snake oil salesman stuff.

The whole Cockburn move will be regrettable in the future. You can attract players to elite training facilites yes, but what about the lifestyle training in Freo central has offered players over the years? On a daily basis you see the boys at local cafes and the beach, while Cockburn Central is a wasteland and once the boys have finished training, they'll be in their cars and driving home. It will be a cultural shift for the club.

Local culture and travel time to/from training are big considerations for players who are looking for new clubs and I think FFC have made a huge mistake here.

I don't remember the Atwell arcade being anything special, just looked run down and outdated. The steel pole arches were rusting out at the bottom, and nothing was architecturally special about it. Didn't scream heritage put it that way.

Thats the typical response to not saving our heritage. If the same where said and acted upon the many arcades and alleys in Melbourne ,all those interesting cafes and eateries would not be there. I always imagined Attwell arcade full of the smell of coffee and interesting foods. Its the same with the Freo harbour sheds. Sitting there unused and unloved. Melbourne have embraced their docklands area and turned it into an eatery precinct using the old goods sheds. Freo harbour could be the same. Plenty of access and parking.

If you have people in FFC making these kind of 'business decisions' I'd be pretty concerned. It's snake oil salesman stuff.

The whole Cockburn move will be regrettable in the future. You can attract players to elite training facilites yes, but what about the lifestyle training in Freo central has offered players over the years? On a daily basis you see the boys at local cafes and the beach, while Cockburn Central is a wasteland and once the boys have finished training, they'll be in their cars and driving home. It will be a cultural shift for the club.

Local culture and travel time to/from training are big considerations for players who are looking for new clubs and I think FFC have made a huge mistake here.

Its 10 minutes from South Beach. 5 minutes to Port Coogee. You could say the same about WC leaving Subi and heading to the waistlands of Lathlain.

Thats the typical response to not saving our heritage. If the same where said and acted upon the many arcades and alleys in Melbourne ,all those interesting cafes and eateries would not be there. I always imagined Attwell arcade full of the smell of coffee and interesting foods. Its the same with the Freo harbour sheds. Sitting there unused and unloved. Melbourne have embraced their docklands area and turned it into an eatery precinct using the old goods sheds. Freo harbour could be the same. Plenty of access and parking.

The State Government control the harbour, Freo Council have plans to and want to develop it but aren't allowed to touch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thought has also crossed my mind. The young trendy sorts may prefer to be where the action is.

Oh really?

If the Council was collecting rent from Fremantle FC for the oval they would have held their hand out for the 37 years of rent to go on the deal.

Now that Fremantle has something of value, rights to the oval, the council want it back for free.

Contracts are two way.

Its 10 minutes from South Beach. 5 minutes to Port Coogee. You could say the same about WC leaving Subi and heading to the waistlands of Lathlain.
Double check your measurments, it's like 20 minutes to South Beach. Fyfe will be driving 20 minutes to work now.

Port Coogee is about 15 minutes. Plus it's also a barren wasteland.

Agree on West Coast, they're further from the beach but at least Vic Park has something happening and Perth CBD is right there too.

Haha well the new arcade has a hip "Lil Hush" coffee shop in it so you're all set with the coffee smell. Gee it's not like it was a cool Sydney style Victorian era arcade.

Hai, Mutton Chops.

Double check your measurments, it's like 20 minutes to South Beach. Fyfe will be driving 20 minutes to work now.

Agree on West Coast, they're further from the beach but at least Vic Park has something happening and Perth CBD is right there too.
It will help those guys who want to live anywhere else along the train line, assuming they don't just enjoy the comfort of their range rover to the best facility in the competition.

Anyone finding something bad out of moving to awesome new world class training facilities is stupid. Just look at the biggest clubs in the world, like Chelsea for example, their spiritual home is Stamford Bridge just like ours is Freo oval, they train 25km away at their Cobham Training Centre, we will be training 12km away at Cockburn.
I cringe when I see crap written like this: "The whole Cockburn move will be regrettable in the future. You can attract players to elite training facilites yes, but what about the lifestyle training in Freo central has offered players over the years?"
You really think these professional players will give a hoot when they see the new training grounds? Get real FFS. You think the Chelsea players complain about having to train outside of central London?

Fyfe driving 20 minutes to work. That poor, poor guy. How must we feel for him driving 20 minutes to work. Wonder how he'd go in peak time heading to the CBD.

Thanks for your concerns though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back