Analysis Cockburn vs Freo - Should we move back

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that us moving back to Fremantle with FG money would be enough to get him votes.Would there!!! How many of you would vote for them IF they provided us with a few more mill.

We don’t have to vote for him, he just needs to give us the money, and before the election. Promises are no good to us because Scotty is all announcement no delivery, unless you’re in a liberal seat.

We don’t have to vote for him, he just needs to give us the money, and before the election. Promises are no good to us because Scotty is all announcement no delivery, unless you’re in a liberal seat.
He can announce all he likes, he wont be there to deliver. But then again... has he ever delivered on any thing!

As an AFL club it is better to be in a neutral venue like Cockburn. We have control of our own destiny.
The establishment of the club, hatred between Souths and Easts is irrational and neither club would bend.
Besides myself included don’t see Fremantle as just the Port.
We have a spiritual connection, but it’s a lifestyle, vibe more
than anything else.
The football forged from the Derby games, is our heritage not a football ground.

politics in the politics thread if we are going to be critical of one side or the other maybe...

I think the women playing there and the once a week training session is enough. Cockburn is not far from freo and is developing all the time.

Of course, you people do realise that there are quite a number of our players live in Success, Atwell area.
Cockburn central is not that far from Fremantle.
And also, in the earlier days Jandakot, was considered as part of Fremantle.

Does anyone know the terms of the agreement between FFC and Cockburn Council for the facilities and move? Are we locked in for a certain number of years?

The initial agreement was for 21 years, with the FFC having an option to extend for a further 21. So we have about 16 years left on the initial lease.

We have also just committed $5.8mil or thereabouts to extensions/additions to our facilities there so any talk about moving back to Fremantle in the short term is well wide of the mark.

Our relationship with the CoC is seemingly very strong also, with them essentially agreeing to front us the money for our part of the expansion of the Cockburn facilities after the onset of Covid 19 and the club subsequently losing revenue.

The redevelopment of Fremantle Oval does also have an option for FFC to execute their right to an option in the deal to build a third storey on the SFFC building that would be paid for by and leased to the FFC to give us a physical presence in Fremantle - I believe there was talk that our community team could be based their and utilise Fremantle Oval for community events/camps/clinics etc.

Please name a single hurdle. Just one.

• Requirement to drop millions on net-zero and other non-negotiable add-ons imposed by the Council
  • Council unwilling to entertain any changes to the plan they'd put forward, and the Freo Society gearing up to campaign against it regardless
  • Souths always hating the Club having a permanent base there and pushing to fight tooth and nail against any changes to their infrastructure, regardless of what we needed for our facilities

Looks great, but I'll believe it when I see it. Plenty of local egos and NIMBYs still to be pacified.

I think the approach we're taking the moment (AFLW games, regular training sessions, the pop up shop/office) is the right one - the idea we drop tens of millions dumping Cockburn to satisfy a few hysterical Freo Herald letter writers is ludicrous.

At a meeting last night, a motion was put forward calling for the chief executive to investigate ways to control or restrict advertising and sponsorships from companies whose main business is the extraction or sale of coal, oil and gas.
A formal position will be reached when the full council meets later this month. With a majority of councillors already indicating their support, the motion is likely to pass.
Any move to enforce a ban could restrict the advertising of fossil fuel company Woodside Energy, the main sponsor of the Fremantle Dockers, at Fremantle Oval.

Would say that probably snuffs out any discussion of a return, and may even put AFLW games and the pop-up shop at risk depending on how hardline the Freo Council goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At a meeting last night, a motion was put forward calling for the chief executive to investigate ways to control or restrict advertising and sponsorships from companies whose main business is the extraction or sale of coal, oil and gas.
A formal position will be reached when the full council meets later this month. With a majority of councillors already indicating their support, the motion is likely to pass.
Any move to enforce a ban could restrict the advertising of fossil fuel company Woodside Energy, the main sponsor of the Fremantle Dockers, at Fremantle Oval.

Would say that probably snuffs out any discussion of a return, and may even put AFLW games and the pop-up shop at risk depending on how hardline the Freo Council goes.
I hope all the councillors voting for this don’t use any grid energy, home gas or fuel in their car. If they did, they would be a bit of a hypocrite.

Regardless of the back and forward with this debate, surely we've got enough resources to stump up for some decent landscaping at Cockburn?

It's been years now and I still cringe when every time a new recruit is paraded in front of the media, in their splendid purple kit, with that horrific sandy wasteland in the background.

Do we need to set up a Go Fund Me page and maybe looking at entering into a Total Eden/Jim's Landscaping threesome?

I hope all the councillors voting for this don’t use any grid energy, home gas or fuel in their car. If they did, they would be a bit of a hypocrite.
Sorry but I can't stand this reasoning. You're never going to be able to be 100% green friendly in this day and age, but that doesn't mean that you're not allowed to try and change things.

Regardless of the back and forward with this debate, surely we've got enough resources to stump up for some decent landscaping at Cockburn?

It's been years now and I still cringe when every time a new recruit is paraded in front of the media, in their splendid purple kit, with that horrific sandy wasteland in the background.

Do we need to set up a Go Fund Me page and maybe looking at entering into a Total Eden/Jim's Landscaping threesome?
I believe that the land there does not belong to the club and the club have no control over how it is developed.
I agree it is an eyesore, but others need to come to the party to fix it up.

I think Freo Council need to remove the visual pollution off their streets and get thier own house in order before restricting particularl companies advertising.
The Freo Council have recently voted for the Community Support Centre project to go ahead. This is a development to be built behind the existing St Pats site. Hopefully this will help alleviate an existing problem, if that's the aesthetic you are so delicately are referring to.

So, unless you're perfect, you shouldn't act to support initiatives that you believe might help to make things better?
No, but if you want to throw rocks you need to get your glass house boarded up.

I think the council is stepping outside their area of control and bringing in personal motivations to their decision making. It's a slippery slope that the Fremantle council seems to have set-up a permanent waterslide on, bigger than the one at the ARC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back