Analysis Cockburn vs Freo - Should we move back

Remove this Banner Ad

yakamoto

Club Legend
May 8, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cockburn would make an ideal site for a wave park. Perhaps a deal could be struck with the wave park promoters to take over the Cockburn facility, enabling Freo to move back to a more congenial training ground. Shade, fewer flies, nice trees, good coffee etc,etc.
Fremantle back coming to it’s home would go along way towards healing the spiritual void brought on us by the previous regime.

Cockburn would make an ideal site for a wave park. Perhaps a deal could be struck with the wave park promoters to take over the Cockburn facility, enabling Freo to move back to a more congenial training ground. Shade, fewer flies, nice trees, good coffee etc,etc.
Fremantle back coming to it’s home would go along way towards healing the spiritual void brought on us by the previous regime.
You are dreaming.

There seems to be more noise around this - the club are now starting to realise it was a massive stuff up leaving Freo.

Yeah I’d expected that’s the first thing they do - pay for at least some established trees and get them in, addition to ground cover. Looks s**t and adds nothing

Shits me as I live right near the eagles new place - they’re just in the final stages of the refurbishment of the exterior of the training oval and surrounds - looks really good and easy access for training watchers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$120 million, you'd think they could throw $100k at some decent trees.

There seems to be more noise around this - the club are now starting to realise it was a massive stuff up leaving Freo.

According to who? The only people I have seen mention anything about it are people who still complain about the move.

According to who? The only people I have seen mention anything about it are people who still complain about the move.
Obviously you can't name names on here....

Since Rosich has left, the board and senior management have been suggesting that the move was a mistake.

Players don't like Cockburn.
Staff don't like Cockburn.
Even BigFooty posters don't like Cockburn.

It's a nice facility (internally) but that's about it. Could have built the same thing in Freo.

Since Rosich has left, the board and senior management have been suggesting that the move was a mistake.

It's a nice facility (internally) but that's about it. Could have built the same thing in Freo.

Never been to the facility..have done a drive by a couple of times. Yes, yes it is a bit Barron.

I think Success is a s**t suburb too btw(lived there 7 years ago) power lines running through, traffic galore, hot dusty area..yuck

There’s a bunch of land between south Freo and Cy O’Connor dog beach. Would of been perfecto!

Outside of Tony ales, Coogee, The lakes there is nothing special in the area. When your community hub is a shopping centre youre in trouble. It would be a very easy place to leave even if we are there for the next 50 years, it is non-place. The first real viable chance we get to move back to Fremantle we should take it.

What feasibly needs to change for a move back to freo? By the way of capital improvements or requirements?

This isn’t a discussion about political needs or the city of freo

2 ovals? One for Souths to play and training fo freo?

Needs sufficient area for training facilities and supporting infrastructure

The larger car park outside would have to go firstly for the additional oval?

Road closures? New traffic management plans

I can imagine if the opportunity comes, freo will look at it

But it won’t be in the next 10-20 years

For all the talk about the so called poor spectator facilities at Cockburn there are a lot more watchers at Cockburn than frequented Freo oval. Could not find a car park there yesterday.
Ps the flies were also known to frequent Freo oval.
Ps meters or parking inspectors handing out 100 dollar fines don't frequent Cockburn.

That game was lost. Better to just look forward to the next one than keep bringing it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like made up rubbish. There is still a lot of construction and landscaping work going on around the arc and surrounds. More infrastructure, parks, lakes etc. this stuff takes time as it was essentially open space/ cleared land.

The players obviously mix things up by training at Cottesloe with beach swim involved.

Big issues always getting approval from council for a large construction like this and needs to fit in with long term town planning which quite frankly bigfooty keyboard warriors have zero idea about.

In the short term some efforts to improve the aesthetic surrounds of the ground and some shade sails where the players and officials park would be a welcome move.

This time of year there are friggin flies everywhere. My kids were whinging about them at Elizabeth Quays the other night.

What feasibly needs to change for a move back to freo? By the way of capital improvements or requirements?

This isn’t a discussion about political needs or the city of freo

2 ovals? One for Souths to play and training fo freo?

Needs sufficient area for training facilities and supporting infrastructure

The larger car park outside would have to go firstly for the additional oval?

Road closures? New traffic management plans

I can imagine if the opportunity comes, freo will look at it

But it won’t be in the next 10-20 years

The Cockburn location will start to make sense in 10 years. 20 years and it’ll be the perfect location.

Not this again.
Freo Oval is inadequate as compared to Holden Centre at Collingwood.
Cockburn training is infinity times better then Freo tbh.

No chance. Have you been into the ARC training facilities? To even come close you'd have to bulldoze the SFFC change rooms, the old grandstand and cover most of the carpark.

The players facilities are close to the best in the world.

As someone who is at the club fairly regularly and is involved with the people you are talking about... I have never heard even a hint of this talk.

There are many reasons but one small one would be - the space we have for the AFLW team. Not possible at freo.

Video and media rooms = the same.

Hot cold plunge pools and recovery areas = same.

No chance. Have you been into the ARC training facilities? To even come close you'd have to bulldoze the SFFC change rooms, the old grandstand and cover most of the carpark.

And as you say it would only be close and still not match what we have now.

The club is set up for some amazing possibilities long term with space that can still be utilised - that is as well as having the best facilities now.

Australia, yes, world - not even close

And as you say it would only be close and still not match what we have now.

The club is set up for some amazing possibilities long term with space that can still be utilised - that is as well as having the best facilities now.
Should just get the Sharks to move in, being East. Makes perfect sense, get funding projects and at least get to
see the best development of kids into AFL 😜
That and if we go it alone from Peel, every week could be a wafl game at Cockburn.
AFLW is another option?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back