Analysis Cockburn vs Freo - Should we move back

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for clarity's sake: I thought the issue was that Freo Council straight up wouldn't let us renovate any further. At the time we had the worst training base in the league (or second worst compared to the Lions) and we couldn't so much as upgrade a toilet block without cutting significant red tape and paying a mountain in fees due to "heritage listing".

In the end it sounds like the only point in staying at Fremantle is because we had the word "Fremantle" in our name.
100% this. Not hard to understand. The council favoured their prestigious heritage and didn’t want any zoning off in Freo’s proposed expansion. The Freo Prison, the adjacent Parry street with its markets. Council weren’t prepared to give that away.
Never got any lee way, no bigger land to expand. It’s a mixture of historical and inadequate planning.
Teams today have ovals greater in size to allow teams to tweak the dimensions of the ovals to suit that week’s game- MCG, Adelaide Oval’s width are different.
With Freo Oval, I remembered they tried to mark the MCG dimensions. Didn’t even fit the width and had to cut it off.
With Cockburn it’ll only expand in time, allow for more family oriented events. The location sucks but the viewing doesn’t. ARC Pros’ far outweigh the limited Freo Oval’s.

Just for clarity's sake: I thought the issue was that Freo Council straight up wouldn't let us renovate any further. At the time we had the worst training base in the league (or second worst compared to the Lions) and we couldn't so much as upgrade a toilet block without cutting significant red tape and paying a mountain in fees due to "heritage listing".

In the end it sounds like the only point in staying at Fremantle is because we had the word "Fremantle" in our name.

Fake news. Rosich was being a schlongsucker and kept on asking for more as soon as the council said yes to his latest offer.
But anyway. it's done and dusted. We're 100% a heartless franchise based at Cockburn and proud of it.

Fake news. Rosich was being a schlongsucker and kept on asking for more as soon as the council said yes to his latest offer.
But anyway. it's done and dusted. We're 100% a heartless franchise based at Cockburn and proud of it.

lol, bollocks.

Not only were the council kockheads about it, they've been doing it to us since our inception. Remember when we got our initial HQ building delayed for years because of a tree? A single ******* tree.

Has anyone been at Cockburn at the finish of training or an open day?
Players piss bolt outa there and get back to Bicton, Paly, Coogee and Cott - they love Cockburn!!!
The players always went to cafes on South Terrace, it had a good community feel to it.

But does Freo Oval have a Super Computer?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

The only legacy Rosich has is a Cockburn.

Last edited:
Exactly my point....

FFC want back into Freo and are now only realising their mistake.

Didn't you previously support the Eagles 88mph? Seems interesting that you're trying your best to stir up trouble

It's a competitive sport and you need every edge you can get. We have arguably some of the best training facilities in the country and people are whinging because they can't park in Freo, pick up a vanilla slice and coffee and f*#k off back home after an hour.

Give it time. The area will continue to improve and the oval will look better once it's surrounded by trees and grass.

Didn't you previously support the Eagles 88mph? Seems interesting that you're trying your best to stir up trouble

It's a competitive sport and you need every edge you can get. We have arguably some of the best training facilities in the country and people are whinging because they can't park in Freo, pick up a vanilla slice and coffee and f*#k off back home after an hour.

Give it time. The area will continue to improve and the oval will look better once it's surrounded by trees and grass.
Is this how you welcome all your new members?

Is this how you welcome all your new members?
I'm not head of the welcoming committee. But you're right - it's a free country and you're entitled to change teams and have an opinion. My point still stands. Just because it doesn't suit the casual observer, we shouldn't change it.

We're desperate for our first premiership. We need the best facilities to be able to develop our players and we need the flexibility to be able to continue to expand and improve our set-up.

I love the Fremantle community too - but it's not an ideal location for an elite sporting team in a competitive and multi-million dollar industry/league.

Being a long time passionate supporter of the club who has never lived in WA and has bugger all connection to the area I can safely say that from the outside looking in this has to be the dumbest and pettiest subject of conjecture I've seen. The club is about more than the name and the area of It's inception. There is more to the soul of a club thats been around for 25 years than simply the town they're based in (one that's essentially one of the next suburbs over and facilities 20 minutes away from the previous one...admittedly researched on google maps however), especially if it's counter-productive to the success of the team.

We have the best facilities of any sporting team in the country that has set us up long term: just f***ing let it go.

Last edited:
What the council would allow at Fremantle Oval was not good enough so the right decision was made.

The historic element of Fremantle Oval worth preserving was its role as a modern, relevant, appropriate setting for the Australian game at its highest level. That historic element has been trashed, not preserved. And it is a disgrace.

It was not possible to build what was needed at Fremantle oval due to the approach of the council. They have misled themselves into thinking that heritage is merely about preserving relics the past. There is another angle to heritage - having a SENSE of history... living up to history... maintaining traditions.

A more advanced understanding of heritage would have allowed them to identify the role that Fremantle Oval had played in the past, rather than simply identifying the style of limestone or the colour of the walls. If their understanding of heritage was more advanced they would have done what was need to PRESERVE THE ROLE of Fremantle Oval as a preeminent venue for football in WA and allowed the necessary changes. Instead, they have ironically put history to the sword, trashed the historic role of the ground and turned the venue into a dusty and meaningless relic. That status is utterly inconsistent with the history of the ground and the needs of the community. It is a triumph of ignorance. It wasn't a dusty meaningless relic for over a hundred years, making it one now is not a way of preserving heritage.

The Victorians have correctly identified what was special about the MCG and they have preserved it. They have preserved it and lived up to history by making the tough decisions to maintain the relevance and historic role of the MCG. If Fremantle council was in charge of the MCG it would be a well located dump and the GF would be played at an outer suburban ground.

What the council would allow at Fremantle Oval was not good enough so the right decision was made.

The historic element of Fremantle Oval worth preserving was its role as a modern, relevant, appropriate setting for the Australian game at its highest level. That historic element has been trashed, not preserved. And it is a disgrace.

It was not possible to build what was needed at Fremantle oval due to the approach of the council. They have misled themselves into thinking that heritage is merely about preserving relics the past. There is another angle to heritage - having a SENSE of history... living up to history... maintaining traditions.

A more advanced understanding of heritage would have allowed them to identify the role that Fremantle Oval had played in the past, rather than simply identifying the style of limestone or the colour of the walls. If their understanding of heritage was more advanced they would have done what was need to PRESERVE THE ROLE of Fremantle Oval as a preeminent venue for football in WA and allowed the necessary changes. Instead, they have ironically put history to the sword, trashed the historic role of the ground and turned the venue into a dusty and meaningless relic. That status is utterly inconsistent with the history of the ground and the needs of the community. It is a triumph of ignorance. It wasn't a dusty meaningless relic for over a hundred years, making it one now is not a way of preserving heritage.

The Victorians have correctly identified what was special about the MCG and they have preserved it. They have preserved it and lived up to history by making the tough decisions to maintain the relevance and historic role of the MCG. If Fremantle council was in charge of the MCG it would be a well located dump and the GF would be played at an outer suburban ground.

Well put.

Exactly my point....

FFC want back into Freo and are now only realising their mistake.

To me it seems the reverse is true.

If FFC wanted back into Freo they would have been presenting to the council.

To me it looks like Freo realised that they have stuffed the dog and are back begging FFC to reinvest. They are probably trying to make a case for the Girls or the post Peel WAFL side. What they are offering better be fantastic or I would be looking elsewhere.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where’s the suggestions Dockers want back at Freo Oval? Has everyone actually seen the planned expansion by the council?
It’s literally realignment of the ground and adding East Freo back into the club rooms. Probably the rooms where Freo held in the hospital end. Plus a ‘gymnasium’. The car park surrounding the ground stays. It’s a snail frustrating slow process by the council. The history is holding the future back. That’s Freo in general though. Look around the area. Heritage listed buildings, limited expansion projects.
Haven’t seen enough to suggest the council are proposing to perhaps demolish the car park behind the goals, nor even closed Parry street to allow for a modern expansion.
Essendon have moved to Tullarmarine. It’s necessary for clubs.
Once the Cockburn council develop around the ground, it’ll be significant. Freo officals being ridiculously fickle

Give it time and I'm sure we will see development of buildings, trees, grassed areas, etc, Lathlain looks good because of the established greenery.But it is an
old area that is slowly being renovated.
Just looking at Clarement oval should give us a glimpse on a smaller scale what can be achieved.
East Freo moving into South fremantle will certainly see the teams amalgamate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back