Coffee snobs thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I figured there are enough of us who care about our coffee to devote to a thread. Where do you buy what equipment do you use at home? Etc.

I'll tap out -
My work brew is from The Mill Pharmacy Espresso on Wickham Tce, bottom of the building I work in. A Campos owned establishment and the staff are well trained and good to chat to. A simple flat white, no sugar for me.

I start the day with a home brewed FW using a Sunbeam model, solid metal and reliable. Second one I have had and a good simple machine. I grind my own (essential) also in a Sunbeam grinder. They have two models at around 150-170, get the one with metal parts as it is by reputation and recommendation worth the extra $20.

You?

Check out the ROK coffee machine. We bought ours to take camping (no power needed) and were so taken with the quality brew produced that it's the machine used at home. Found you don't need a complicated machine to make an excellent heart starter, especially out in the sticks somewhere.

We use the pre-ground Vittoria 100% arabica espresso in the gold pack.

I've posted about this before but there's an Italian guy in Lutwyche shopping centre who makes a brilliant coffee. Unfortunately, you have to sit in a food court to drink it but it's worth it. It is the place of congregation of many elderly Italians and they know their s**t.

I have a De Longhi semi automatic machine- grinds the beans, produces the biscuit and drips the coffee. Froth my own milk, which I prefer to do. We use Di Bella beans, make the trip Di Bella at Bowen Hills roughly once a month. We pick up a kilo of beans between 36-45 bucks and also get 2 free coffees and 2 baby cinos at no extra cost. Great family outing, good beans and good for the budget! ha

When buying coffee out, generally Leaf at Tarragindi (4 Seasons Beans) and Backstreet Espresso(Elixir) are two good suburban coffee shops.

On suburban Southside I can recommend Ave Cucina & Cafe in Eva St Camp Hill, they make Di Bella beans amazing, and Soho on Old Cleveland Rd at Coorparoo.

Oh and my wonderful coffee machine gave me a heart attack this morning as it produced a lot of noise and steam and no coffee at first attempt. Seemed to settle down after some nervous prodding and poking but I was almost off to the loca
In my pyjamas to get some coffee and Carindale for an emergency machine.

I've posted about this before but there's an Italian guy in Lutwyche shopping centre who makes a brilliant coffee. Unfortunately, you have to sit in a food court to drink it but it's worth it. It is the place of congregation of many elderly Italians and they know their s**t.
Yeah very fine coffee. My office is not far so once in a while I take some paper work along to get out of the stale office air when in need of a heart starter.

Yeah very fine coffee. My office is not far so once in a while I take some paper work along to get out of the stale office air when in need of a heart starter.
So is this the place you have 'Eternally' been telling the women there that you are Burt Lancaster looking for Deborah Kerr? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always a fan of a coffee when i'm out. Don't have anything fancy at home, just a simple sunbeam machine but it does the job. Usually a fan of Vittoria beans. Cleanskin Coffee Co is a great store in Brendale. Roast their own beans on site, you can buy a whole heap of different ones, i've had a few different mixes and they are all awesome. Can also just sit in and have a coffee there.

Oh and my wonderful coffee machine gave me a heart attack this morning as it produced a lot of noise and steam and no coffee at first attempt. Seemed to settle down after some nervous prodding and poking but I was almost off to the loca
In my pyjamas to get some coffee and Carindale for an emergency machine.

http://espressounplugged.com.au

I want to say segafredo but I'm only guessing

ha i won't even go into a cafe that has that logo displayed (this is the coffee snob thread right!)

brown dog in east bris is awesome
also big fan of campos stuff but at home i do merlo on a gaggia classic
simple and solid machine

At my new place of employment, the instant coffee is Nescafe blend 43. I want to vomit in my mouth every time I have a cup of this filth out of coffee fix desperation. Creating instant coffee change in an established coffee drinking culture is one of the toughest task for management! ha

At my new place of employment, the instant coffee is Nescafe blend 43. I want to vomit in my mouth every time I have a cup of this filth out of coffee fix desperation. Creating instant coffee change in an established coffee drinking culture is one of the toughest task for management! ha

Yep, with Nescafé , you get 43 beans in every cup.

Just a shame that 42 of them taste like s**t....

On suburban Southside I can recommend Ave Cucina & Cafe in Eva St Camp Hill, they make Di Bella beans amazing, and Soho on Old Cleveland Rd at Coorparoo.

Not that far from my house. Do make a good coffee there but its bloody busy if you want food too. New place on Chatsworth road right near my house opened up serving Campos. Called Little Sista. Good coffee and very generous tasty food. Worth a look.

Went on a food tour in Paris recently. Had a heated discussion with the guide over coffee. She won with this line" I don't understand you Melbourne people and your coffee snobbery. When I first went to Melbourne you all drank international roast!"

The tour was excellent though. Anyone going to Paris should check out http://www.uteinparis.com/

When in Melbourne I suggest people check out Coffea at the Victoria market for traditional express. And any one that serves seven seeds (ie backstreet eating fitzroy) or proud Mary (stagger lee fitzroy) products.

Last edited:
Not sure how quickly word is spreading, but Death Before Decaf on Brunswick St in New Farm has been open for a little while now and it does a killer coffee 24/7. It's the local hotspot for paramedics and cops on the late night shift. I really recommend checking it out if you're nearby.

Southside Tea Room @ Morningside. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Absolute gem if you are into the faux dive setting.

Run by the best bunch of people ever, a few of them members of Brissie band The Grates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back