Current Cold Cases Solved with Investigative DNA Genetic Genealogy

Would these developments affect your decision to share your genetic information?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
"THE mystery of the sexual assault and murder of a US girl in Washington state has been resolved 32 years after the crime thanks to a discarded napkin, DNA tests and genetic genealogy." Same way they found the EAR.

Pierce County prosecutor Mark Lindquist had a warning to criminals. “Today we are at a point where, if you are a criminal and you left your DNA at the scene, you might as well turn yourself in now. We will catch you,” he said.

Can't help but wonder if security agencies have been sitting on this information as an investigative tool until there's enough of the population sharing their genetic profiles over these open source genealogy sites to ping anybody. Just waiting until that horse has well and truly bolted.

Makes me a bit uncomfortable actually.

Iworkthecircus

All Australian
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
You only have to listen to the radio or look at the sky to realise the whole thing is bull .

Easier to catch old men then young men .

Even then, it's not even your own genetic data that you've willingly given up. The EAR was originally traced through a fourth cousin.

At the end of the day, if you've done nothing wrong you should have nothing to worry about, but it's still something to be wary about.

Even then, it's not even your own genetic data that you've willingly given up.

By proxy! As crooks would call it 'a left hand drop'.

Seems our personal data isn't safe anywhere though, we hear stories of it being sold off or hacked into too much for me to be comfortable about sharing my genetic fingerprint with a third party app. There's concerns insurance companies might be able to access it for example and anticipate illness.

Iworkthecircus

All Australian
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
By proxy! As crooks would call it 'a left hand drop'.

Seems our personal data isn't safe anywhere though, we hear stories of it being sold off or hacked into too much for me to be comfortable about sharing my genetic fingerprint with a third party app. There's concerns insurance companies might be able to access it for example and anticipate illness.
All illnesses are cureable depending on the level and magnitude .

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I am a member of gedmatch and they have now added a note explaining that your DNA and uploads can be used as detection tools.

I also understand the concerns over insurance companies. But the insurance companies will gather your dna through medicals and not genealogy sites. The reasons I am on these genealogy sites far outweigh any concerns I have over police using it to catch a crook. Hell I come from convicts ;)

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
That's awesome Crow, did you find that on the geneaology site? It used to be the skeleton in the closet once upon a time but I'm glad it's not like that any more.
Yes. Not so much on there but the connectedness. News reports etc. what the sites did do is confirm my connection to people born in 1794

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Can I ask what were they transported for?
Stealing six yards of printed cotton, two pieces of Fustian, five yards of linen cloth, two yards of white cotton, one yard of tow cloth, one quantity of a yard of flowered muslin, three cotton handkerchiefs, two yards of brown cotton, six yards of blue and white cotton, one Waistcoat piece, one buff coloured handkerchief, two yards of cotton check, one slip of black yarn, one slip of black worsted pair of worsted stockings, one blue cotton apron, one Leno cuff border and one shawl, . Thats granny.

Granpa had the death sentence commuted for stealing in company a quantity of clothing apparel

Stealing six yards of printed cotton, two pieces of Fustian, five yards of linen cloth, two yards of white cotton, one yard of tow cloth, one quantity of a yard of flowered muslin, three cotton handkerchiefs, two yards of brown cotton, six yards of blue and white cotton, one Waistcoat piece, one buff coloured handkerchief, two yards of cotton check, one slip of black yarn, one slip of black worsted pair of worsted stockings, one blue cotton apron, one Leno cuff border and one shawl, . Thats granny.

Granpa had the death sentence commuted for stealing in company a quantity of clothing apparel

Everyone was guilty to get the numbers up for the new colony but who could blame people for knocking a few things off when many were starving to death? I love this stuff ...

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

That's your grandfather? I'm also convict stock but it was my great, great grandfather who was transported here, on the Tortoise in 1841. He's in this list ;) https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/tortoise/1841

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am a member of gedmatch and they have now added a note explaining that your DNA and uploads can be used as detection tools.

I also understand the concerns over insurance companies. But the insurance companies will gather your dna through medicals and not genealogy sites. The reasons I am on these genealogy sites far outweigh any concerns I have over police using it to catch a crook. Hell I come from convicts ;)
I thought we didn't have convicts in SA? ;)

Robbie1958

Rookie
Jul 13, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
all this talk of dna and pre dna crimes doubt a perp with any sort of smarts would be heading to the local medical clinic for a blood test or any type of medical procedure where the crime could have had some dna evidence guess the cops look at things like that through through available records to narrow the field and see whats available here and elsewhere in the new tech world

My Health Record will soon give the police access to a mind boggling amount of information. I'll be opting out, not because I'm a criminal but because I don't want anybody but health professionals to be able to access my records. I also don't want my entire history on one central database.

Police and law enforcement
Which rules and policies guide the ADHA's decision to grant access to law enforcement?

The ADHA is authorised by law to disclose someone's health information if it "reasonably believes" it's necessary for preventing or investigating crimes and protecting the public revenue, among other things specified under section 70 of the My Health Records Act.

The agency was unable to provide a definition of "protecting the public revenue" by deadline.
(wtf does that even mean?)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...s-security-privacy-police/9959622?pfmredir=ms

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
My Health Record will soon give the police access to a mind boggling amount of information. I'll be opting out, not because I'm a criminal but because I don't want anybody but health professionals to be able to access my records. I also don't want my entire history on one central database.

Which rules and policies guide the ADHA's decision to grant access to law enforcement?

The ADHA is authorised by law to disclose someone's health information if it "reasonably believes" it's necessary for preventing or investigating crimes and protecting the public revenue, among other things specified under section 70 of the My Health Records Act.

The agency was unable to provide a definition of "protecting the public revenue" by deadline.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...s-security-privacy-police/9959622?pfmredir=ms
This seems to be an extension of the requirements of schools and other agencies to report Child Abuse or elder abuse

Robbie1958

Rookie
Jul 13, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

ever seen your linked medicare record that comes up for your tax return it makes an interesting read on what anyone has done medically (or not) over the past year criminals would not be having many blood tests or medical procedures locally hey

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Taking a different slant on this does the future also include missing people? The rise and rise of Family DNA testing also holds promise for those families split apart by people going missing , either voluntarily or involuntarily.

This is more of a long term look at it as people who go missing can be any age and may or may not have children that pass on their DNA. As an example many missing children are the result of domestic issues or divorce action and not any fatal criminal action.

Maybe as part of the missing persons file a DNA sample can be volunteered. As an example , one of the Beaumont Children theory is that they are still alive and living under assumed names. If so they are all an age where they could have grandchildren . If one of those had a Family DNA test for fun or research then it may surprise some.

Just a thought

Another one, arrested for the 20 year old murder of a boy.

DNA leads police investigating murder of 11-year-old boy in the Netherlands to man living in a tent in Spain

Spanish police have arrested a man on suspicion of having murdered a child in the Netherlands 20 years ago.

The case was cracked by Dutch authorities with the help of mass DNA testing.

Nicky Verstappen, 11, was found dead near a campsite in the southern Dutch province of Limburg on August 10, 1998, close to the German border.

Some 14,000 men took part recently in a mass DNA test, and though none was the suspect, police were recently able to identify a 55-year-old man named Jos Brech through the DNA of a relative, who was a close match.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/08/28/00/53/dna-cracks-20-year-old-dutch-cold-case

Back