Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Next big shock I think

21. Flame Trees - Twentieth Century - 1984

Not high enough 4 me, this song means home (Vic) even after living in Qld for just as long.

Edit - Have to say I've heard better versions ;)

Last edited:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Not high enough 4 me, this song means home (Vic) even after living in Qld for just as long.

Have to say I've heard better versions ;)
Ive only grown up with Cold Chisel after the had finished up and all I had to go by where their albums so I didn't have any great memories of when they first released these songs. Im sure this song is considered one of if not their best but for me I never really got massively into it as a kid and I still like a lot of songs more. That's no big at the song either because there are songs that didn't make the list at all that I still really like. Also if "Janelle" wasn't in my list im sure my Auntie would kill me since that is her favourite haha

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Ive only grown up with Cold Chisel after the had finished up and all I had to go by where their albums so I didn't have any great memories of when they first released these songs. Im sure this song is considered one of if not their best but for me I never really got massively into it as a kid and I still like a lot of songs more. That's no big at the song either because there are songs that didn't make the list at all that I still really like. Also if "Janelle" wasn't in my list im sure my Auntie would kill me since that is her favourite haha
It's all good, loving your musical taste and enjoying the 'blasts from the past'.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
10 . Khe Sanh - Cold Chisel - 1978

An aussie icon but im due to be criticised for either having it too high or too low for whatever reason people may have. For me I love Khe Sanh but I always liked some of their other stuff more and a few years ago this also would have been top 5 but ive had other songs grow on me a lot more. The story this song tells will always hold a place in aussies hearts, its hard hitting and at the time pretty controversial. The piano intro is a classic and its easily recognisable, Barnsey really nails this song and im not sure if this song would have been as big as it was without his vocals. again this song is just iconic and will go down as one of the very best Australian songs especially on a lyrical level.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I Mentioned id have 2 number 9s because I missed a song I really liked well here it is
9. Wild Colonial Boy - Circus Animals - 1982

9. You Got Nothing I Want - Circus Animals - 1982

Circus Animals no surprise is my favourite Cold Chisel album it has an insane amount of good tracks. The album starts with "You Got Nothing I Want" and its the perfect opening song to an album it hits hard and Barnsey really rams the point home, love the story behind this song and I recommend anyone who hasn't heard the story to go and search it up it really makes me love the song even more. This song is short and sharp very loud and very rock its the perfect song to rock out too.

Wild Colonial Boy is another kicks ass rock tune. I really like how the song builds up and gets heavier the longer it goes. Moss just nails it for this song with some of his best guitar work and that Solo at the end is just ace.The Lyrics hit hard just like the song does you can really tell with this song and the album in general that the band was firing on all cylinder's and where in their prime and they didn't give a * what anyone else thought they wrote and performed incredible music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
8. Tomorrow - East - 1980

Really love the start to this song it's just grabs you straight away, Ian Moss really kills it on this one. Perfect driving song its hard to explain but the songs just moves forward, the pacing is really good I really dig the faster and slower tempo's of the song. I think his song is really underrated and looking at the lack of views on YouTube confuses me. Great track that does so many things right

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
8. Tomorrow - East - 1980

Really love the start to this song it's just grabs you straight away, Ian Moss really kills it on this one. Perfect driving song its hard to explain but the songs just moves forward, the pacing is really good I really dig the faster and slower tempo's of the song. I think his song is really underrated and looking at the lack of views on YouTube confuses me. Great track that does so many things right

Wow. Forgotten gem. Only just listened to. Not heard that one for years.

Up there with Summer Moon and another gem, Home and Broken Hearted.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
7. Darskarzine - Cold Chisel - 1978

Another song that is great for a drive it's constantly moving on with an almost ominous feel to it. Piano is brilliant in this and gives it that extra something. The guitar solo for Moss is sensational in this and easily one of his better performances. The end of this song is also great where it gets quicker and quicker and Barnesy really lifts his game as does the whole band to give the song an epic finish.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

Another song that is great for a drive it's constantly moving on with an almost ominous feel to it. Piano is brilliant in this and gives it that extra something. The guitar solo for Moss is sensational in this and easily one of his better performances. The end of this song is also great where it gets quicker and quicker and Barnesy really lifts his game as does the whole band to give the song an epic finish.

Would not be in my top 60 but just shows what a brilliant band they have been live to make even some of their lesser known songs sound something very good live.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
6. Dresden - Breakfast At Sweethearts - 1979

The whole band really comes together well here with every instrument sounding so prominent. The staple piano for Cold Chisel takes over with this song and really gives it so much style. Ian Moss kicks in at certain times during the song and really keeps the song on your toes with every riff and change in tonne keeps you hooked into the song. The song sounds incredible live its amazing how well every song is performed. I will never get tired of this song for me its a classic and incredibly underrated song.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
6. Dresden - Breakfast At Sweethearts - 1979

The whole band really comes together well here with every instrument sounding so prominent. The staple piano for Cold Chisel takes over with this song and really gives it so much style. Ian Moss kicks in at certain times during the song and really keeps the song on your toes with every riff and change in tonne keeps you hooked into the song. The song sounds incredible live its amazing how well every song is performed. I will never get tired of this song for me its a classic and incredibly underrated song.

Another live raw version when still so young as a band.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
19. Houndog - Circus Animals - 1982

Surprised how this did not make your top ten but just highlights how much good music they made that people's top 30 or 50 could have certain songs be ranked vastly different spots.

I just love how earthy raw rock this is. Lyrics I just love.

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
Surprised how this did not make your top ten but just highlights how much good music they made that people's top 30 or 50 could have certain songs be ranked vastly different spots.

I just love how earthy raw rock this is. Lyrics I just love.

Last 2 tours they have played this and it still sounds very fresh

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood

For me Swingshift is the definitive live recording. I have it on cassette

Remove this Banner Ad

Back