Cold Chisel 30-1

Remove this Banner Ad

I Mentioned id have 2 number 9s because I missed a song I really liked well here it is
9. Wild Colonial Boy - Circus Animals - 1982

9. You Got Nothing I Want - Circus Animals - 1982

Circus Animals no surprise is my favourite Cold Chisel album it has an insane amount of good tracks. The album starts with "You Got Nothing I Want" and its the perfect opening song to an album it hits hard and Barnsey really rams the point home, love the story behind this song and I recommend anyone who hasn't heard the story to go and search it up it really makes me love the song even more. This song is short and sharp very loud and very rock its the perfect song to rock out too.

Wild Colonial Boy is another kicks ass rock tune. I really like how the song builds up and gets heavier the longer it goes. Moss just nails it for this song with some of his best guitar work and that Solo at the end is just ace.The Lyrics hit hard just like the song does you can really tell with this song and the album in general that the band was firing on all cylinder's and where in their prime and they didn't give a **** what anyone else thought they wrote and performed incredible music.

and my favourite....you got nothing I want

Flame Trees, as a country kid, is to me the greatest song ever written. No song has ever so accurately described what it's like to spend most of your life somewhere, leave, and return. I periodically play gigs at the town I grew up in, as well as the town i did year 11 and 12 in - had my first proper girlfriend, peak years of sporting career etc. the song sums all that stuff up perfectly.

It was also the first song my second son learned to sing :)

I am sick for Chisel but Flame Trees is head and shoulders above the rest of their stuff.

Good list. Nice to see a few less obvious ones like "Tomorrow", "Janelle", "Daskarzine" and "Letter to Alan" in there
"Four Walls" and "Merry Go Round" are the sore thumb omissions IMHO

I'm a big fan of their first album. Reckon it's still underrated. So my list would include "One Long Day", "Just How Many Times" and maybe "Northbound"

Agree with the poster who rated their version of "Georgia". It's awesome. Was the B side to the "Astrid" single and I reckon I played both sides equally. Another great cover was "Wild Thing" off "You're 13, You're Beautiful......." which is probably my most cherished piece of vinyl.

Could never cop "You've Got Nothing I Want" though. Sounded like they couldn't be bothered finishing writing it

how on earth was this song not mentioned

7 mins of pure bliss. also Barnseys best vocal performance IMO.
Jimmy Barnes solo is unlistenable.. all of it.

Hmm maybe some of it. He's not a great songwriter (for all I know all his solo hits were written for him - no idea) so if he's responsible for them then that would explain it, but his singing on his own stuff is still fine.

I actually really like a lot of the covers he's done - The Weight with The Badloves, his version of Lola that he did as a duet with Neil Finn, his duet with Tina Turner on Simply The Best (I'm a leaguie - that song is like Amazing Grace to us).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. "One Long Day"
  2. "Home and Broken Hearted"
  3. "Saturday Night"
  4. "Merry-Go-Round"
  5. "Just How Many Times"
  6. "Juliet"
  7. "Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye)"
  8. "Northbound"
  9. "Mona and the Preacher"
  10. "The Door"
  11. "Daskarzine"
  12. "Shipping Steel"
  13. "Bow River"
  14. "Wild Thing"
  15. "Conversations"
  16. "Forever Now"
  17. "My Turn to Cry"
  18. "Rosaline"
  19. Georgia
  20. Breakfast At Sweethearts
  21. "Taipan"
  22. "Choirgirl"
  23. "Cheap Wine"
  24. "Long as I Can See the Light"
  25. "Rising Sun"
  26. "Don't Let Go"
  27. "You Got Nothing I Want"
  28. "The Party's Over"
  29. "Khe Sanh"
  30. Star Hotel
Love the Countdown version of My Turn To Cry

Love the Countdown version of My Turn To Cry

ha ha. Classic.
Just off the charts up yours to all and sundry.

Now they all calmed down and been in music industry 40 years it is amazing the lead singer never died at the way he lived. R.I.P Bon Scott of same vintage and origins.
Does ok to still knock out new songs 4 decades on live and still have a voice at all.

Kudos for getting Letter To Alan and Dresden in the top 10 :thumbsu:. Two different sides to what made them great.

The tracks on Twentieth Century I can take or leave. The sound of a band going up in flames.

For an album of offcuts, Teenage Love is quite listenable. Drinkin' In Port Lincoln belongs on any list of Cold Chisel essentials.

I would have had Flame Trees and When the War is Over one and two, but that is the beauty of lists. Totally subjective.

I am half way through Working Class Boy at the moment, the book of Jimmy Barnes early life. He is not the greatest writer in history, but there is an honesty about this book that is painful and powerful. It's like an x rated Angela's Ashes. Hard to believe he and his brother John survived.

I would have had Flame Trees and When the War is Over one and two, but that is the beauty of lists. Totally subjective.

I am half way through Working Class Boy at the moment, the book of Jimmy Barnes early life. He is not the greatest writer in history, but there is an honesty about this book that is painful and powerful. It's like an x rated Angela's Ashes. Hard to believe he and his brother John survived.

My two favourite gig songs to play.

Both absolutely beautiful songs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back