Cold Chisel 30-1

Remove this Banner Ad

The 3.99 ones are Aussie originals.

Really? Chisel were far from household names at that point, there was no single to promote it, it only charted mid-30's and there were only 5000 (?) copies made. Seems odd that so many have survived in such good condition. It's harder to find e.g. a good first pressing of the debut album.

This is the average condition I'd expect for an obscure 40yo EP

s-l1600.jpg

While most seem to be closer to this

s-l1600.jpg

Really? Chisel were far from household names at that point, there was no single to promote it, it only charted mid-30's and there were only 5000 (?) copies made. Seems odd that so many have survived in such good condition. It's harder to find e.g. a good first pressing of the debut album.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

My copy is like the top one. I really wanted this album in the 80s and a good copy, with mint cover was hard to find under $100. That was big dollars back then. I used to go to the original Big Star records on Magill rd when they first opened and started my record collection buying 2nd hand albums. I got friendly with the owner who later opened the shop in semaphore, forget the name, anyway when a copy came in with a rough cover but the vinyl itself was good he put it aside for me. iirc i still paid around $40 for it. I used to frequent alot of record fairs too and mint ones were frequently seen (with the 3;99 stickers). Had friends whose older brothers had mint copies too. A new LP was around $14 in the mid 80s, that's what my Working Class man album cost me anyway, so for a LTD ED live EP $4 was about right for it's time. My Cold Chisel album is a first pressing also have East with the bonus single too. A friend from school, whose older brother was a Chisel nut copied me a few bootlegs he had which were probably 100th generation by that time lol.
I also had a huge 20th Century promo poster that i got from Allans in town as i also went in there quite a bit to buy albums. I wish i knew where that poster ended up. Twin street records was another good place to buy used vinyl and where Mossy put up his ad looking for a band.
At the Last Wave of Summer tour i fleeced "Cold Chisel tape" it was like police tape ie crime scene, do not cross line tape, it was simply hundreds of feet of "Cold Chisel" i sold that on ebay but i kept a few metres for myself.

A friend from school, whose older brother was a Chisel nut copied me a few bootlegs he had which were probably 100th generation by that time lol.

Do you know any places online to find Chisel bootlegs? Plenty exist, going by the detailed gig descriptions in the Michael Lawrence book. They just don't seem to be as accessible as for other bands.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

They may have not been main stream household names at that time but they were already well established and supported in Adelaide, Melbourne and started to build a good live following in Sydney. To move a few thousand copies Australia wide would've been easy. Although the debut album didn't have a single release per se Khe Sanh was flogged on Adelaide radio like one and they already had a huge fan base here.

Do you know any places online to find Chisel bootlegs? Plenty exist, going by the detailed gig descriptions in the Michael Lawrence book. They just don't seem to be as accessible as for other bands.

I don't know of any to purchase now. The Live at St Leonard’s Park 29.05.1978 bootleg was an extra vinyl in the first 1500 box sets vinyl reissue. which i have unopened. There are youtube vids and a sound cloud release.

Here's the link Live at The Pooraka Hotel 1978.

The good old PH eh. Where Bon got up to sing with AC/DC and the rest is history.

I don't know of any to purchase now. The Live at St Leonard’s Park 29.05.1978 bootleg was an extra vinyl in the first 1500 box sets vinyl reissue. which i have unopened. There are youtube vids and a sound cloud release.

Here's the link Live at The Pooraka Hotel 1978.

The good old PH eh. Where Bon got up to sing with AC/DC and the rest is history.

Wow, that brings back memories, thanks for sharing. wysiwyg with Chisel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back