Coleman for 2019?

Coleman for 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lynch literally averages more goals than Darling

Darling isnt a top 5 forward so to pick him out of my reply as the benchmark isnt convincing anyone. I included Darling as a throw away comment

And who cares about averages? They were both drafted in the same year and Darling has kicked like 60 odd more goals than him. Durability is also a valuable asset. If a player kicks 2.3 goals a game vs 2.1 goals a game and cant stay on the park. Then who cares?

The point is, Darling isnt even in the conversation as the best forward and he has had a better career than Lynch so far. Based on 2018, he could get even better. Lynch is no where near it at the moment. Hes not even close. Even in his massive 2016 year, he was no where near the Buddy and Kennedy show.

Last edited:

I’m talking about size. De Goey is barely above average AFL height. He is not a key forward. If he becomes good enough to win a Coleman as a general forward, he will be moved to the midfield too much to win it anyway.
Time will tell. Degoey will play predominantly full forward again, form permitting, and he will kick a lot of goals, because he's a very dangerous forward target, regardless of whether he conforms to your stereotype for the role. He isnt as dangerous in a pack marking situation as some of the taller guys, but noone kicks that many goals from pack marks. He's very dangerous on the lead and fin a one on one marking contest and is significantly more dangerous at ground level than anyone else who regularly plays full forward. I'll be surprised if a full season nets him less than 50 goals and won't be surprised if he ends up with a figure similar to the last few coleman medal winners.

Lynch will kick 70-80 if fit.

Riewoldt roaming and deep crumbing CHF/FF option.

Its already over.
I think you have Lynch pegged incorrectly. Lynch plays his best footy, Nick Riewoldt style, as a long leading forward who can be used as a hit up target for transition and then double back into the forward 50. His contested marking numbers aren't that high. He was a star in 2016, when he was fit enough to play that style, but hasn't been fit enough to play that way since and has reverted to just being a good solid player. I hope he has a massive preseason for you guys and can get his long leading game back, but either way i can't see him kicking that number of goals.

Would have to be Gawn back though. He took a heap of marks down back this year after Lever went down. Although once lever is back I can see us playing lever Omac and May. So probably Gawn would go back much.
But will Pruess offer anything at all as a forward? I really can't understand why he chose to go to you guys. You must have sold him the idea of a particular role. If he was sold the role of primarily playing forward, you'd have to question his thinking skills.

But will Pruess offer anything at all as a forward? I really can't understand why he chose to go to you guys. You must have sold him the idea of a particular role. If he was sold the role of primarily playing forward, you'd have to question his thinking skills.
I think he’d have to know he ain’t rucking. If you look at his highlights he played forward in underage a bit and also at north. But realistically he is a first ruck type.
I’ve also heard he wants to learn from the master Gawn. And also apparently Stafford is a really good ruck coach.

This is the goals per game leader in the past 4 years
2018 -#1 Josh Kennedy 3.07 Goals Per Game(including finals)
2017 -#1 Josh Kennedy 3.63
2016 -#1 Josh Kennedy 3.57
2015 -#1 Josh Kennedy 3.20

Doesn't even make the poll. :tearsofjoy:

As a community we deserve better than this.
Bizarre omission.

There was a time when Melbourne supporters would have been like flies to poo to mention the next super star Hogan.
How things can change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett and Dunstall might have been smaller but compared to the competition? I’m sorry but it’s a real stretch to see De Goey winning it.

Its not a stretch to put him in the mix with fourteen others (which is the post I originally responded to).

He averaged more per game (slightly) than Breust this season.

There was a time when Melbourne supporters would have been like flies to poo to mention the next super star Hogan.
How things can change.

Another year of improvement into Hogan could see him taking to another level. His first half of 2018 was amazing and if he pulls that consistancy for whole season he could win it.

That being said, he's going from a top 5 side to a bottom 5 side, and his midfield supply wont be as good as it was at Melbourne.

I think you have Lynch pegged incorrectly. Lynch plays his best footy, Nick Riewoldt style, as a long leading forward who can be used as a hit up target for transition and then double back into the forward 50. His contested marking numbers aren't that high. He was a star in 2016, when he was fit enough to play that style, but hasn't been fit enough to play that way since and has reverted to just being a good solid player. I hope he has a massive preseason for you guys and can get his long leading game back, but either way i can't see him kicking that number of goals.
Who gets #1 opposition defender - Lynch or Riewoldt?

I’m talking about size. De Goey is barely above average AFL height. He is not a key forward. If he becomes good enough to win a Coleman as a general forward, he will be moved to the midfield too much to win it anyway.
“Im talking about size”
Riewoldt plays key forward, De Goey does not. De Goey plays similarly to Dusty up forward. Sure, Dusty at his best could win the coleman, but Dusty at his best plays in the middle. If De Goey is playing well enough to win the Coleman, he’ll leapfrog your other mids and play more in there. De Goey winning the Coleman is a REAL long shot.
”Actually no, im talking about how he actually plays”.

Our midfield is stacked, 3 All Australians, not including Treloar who has made the squad twice before this year, and was on track for the team in 2018.

Richmond and Dusty is a completely different story, Richmonds midfield doesnt have the depth Collingwoods midfield has. Its a debate if Richmonds 3rd best midfielder is better than Collingwoods 5th best(Taylor Adams), they NEED Martin him in the midfield, its an entire different situation at the Pies than it is at Richmond.

“Im talking about size”

”Actually no, im talking about how he actually plays”.

Our midfield is stacked, 3 All Australians, not including Treloar who has made the squad twice before this year, and was on track for the team in 2018.

Richmond and Dusty is a completely different story, Richmonds midfield doesnt have the depth Collingwoods midfield has. Its a debate if Richmonds 3rd best midfielder is better than Collingwoods 5th best(Taylor Adams), they NEED Martin him in the midfield, its an entire different situation at the Pies than it is at Richmond.
Quote me with a picture of your betting slip when De Goey wins the coleman

Back