Review Colgate Young Guns U23 Game (2:30 PM AEST, Saturday May 8, Avalon Airport Oval - Werribee)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I get more info on my man Conforti? Has played games with our VFL Bombers and looks to have a go. I like him. Not sure he'd be an upgrade on guys likeBrayden Ham or Will Snelling but curious to hear how he went none the less.
I was impressed early on, he was winning it pretty much at will in the midfield in open play, just couldn't quite impact that much around stoppages against the bigger Metro bodies, then he really went quiet in the second half. Again I had eyes mostly on Metro kids, but I'd be shocked if he had much if it in the second half

I was impressed early on, he was winning it pretty much at will in the midfield in open play, just couldn't quite impact that much around stoppages against the bigger Metro bodies, then he really went quiet in the second half. Again I had eyes mostly on Metro kids, but I'd be shocked if he had much if it in the second half
He had 23 the weekend before with no bench to rest. Gets to good spots but I see so much of that 'almost' player from a TAC Cup level player. Will that translate to the big time? I doubt it. Could still be a good to very good state leaguer.

Are there any/many 19 year olds in contention from SA or WA?

What’s happened to Henry Walsh? And where is Kalin Lane playing?

Henry Walsh chose to play seniors for St Josephs in the GFL rather than continue in the normal pathway.

In a very strong competition he has been a standout in all games.

Somewhat curious decision. Surely he could have landed a spot on a VFL team.

Do Geelong have a selection in the mid season draft?

Geelong already drafted Shannon Neale last year, how much list space do they have for young developing rucks?
Don’t know.

I believe Shannon Neale is similar to Henry Smith, both ruck forwards, as opposed to a pure ruck.

And there’s more than a few Lions fans who believe we need another ruck, and we look to be more well stocked for serviceable rucks than Geelong appear to be.

Geelong already drafted Shannon Neale last year, how much list space do they have for young developing rucks?
They also picked up Tsapitolis as a Cat B rookie.

And there’s more than a few Lions fans who believe we need another ruck, and we look to be more well stocked for serviceable rucks than Geelong appear to be.
There's a difference between mature rucks and young developing rucks, who are essentially a list spot being sacrificed for the future, given the low likelihood of them making a difference at the top level before age 23. It's important not to conflate developing prospects with serviceable rucks.

Many of those who believe the Lions need another ruck are asking for a mature player who can contribute immediately, due to the injuries Oscar and Archie Smith have suffered this season, and Archie's general lack of ability at the senior level. Those who believe the Lions need another developing ruck either believe Fullarton will be a forward primarily in the long-term, or I'd suggest they may not appreciate how tight the list squeeze is at the end of every season. Carrying three developing players who are primarily rucks is difficult.

As for Geelong, they have Stanley, Fort, Blicavs is doing a job for them with Stanley out, and two developing rucks. That's a fair number, even allowing for Tsapatolis being on the Cat B rookie list. I don't think they need any more, but perhaps Geelong fans have more insight than I do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a difference between mature rucks and young developing rucks, who are essentially a list spot being sacrificed for the future, given the low likelihood of them making a difference at the top level before age 23. It's important not to conflate developing prospects with serviceable rucks.

Many of those who believe the Lions need another ruck are asking for a mature player who can contribute immediately, due to the injuries Oscar and Archie Smith have suffered this season, and Archie's general lack of ability at the senior level. Those who believe the Lions need another developing ruck either believe Fullarton will be a forward primarily in the long-term, or I'd suggest they may not appreciate how tight the list squeeze is at the end of every season. Carrying three developing players who are primarily rucks is difficult.

As for Geelong, they have Stanley, Fort, Blicavs is doing a job for them with Stanley out, and two developing rucks. That's a fair number, even allowing for Tsapatolis being on the Cat B rookie list. I don't think they need any more, but perhaps Geelong fans have more insight than I do.
There are a couple of us who would go a young ruck ahead of a state league ruck.

A state league ruck in the mid season draft only makes a difference if Archie and Oscar are both out injured during finals.

I’m not sure if any of the state league rucks are a short or long term prospect beyond this season.

Scouting Notes on the game 🥰

A state league ruck in the mid season draft only makes a difference if Archie and Oscar are both out injured during finals.
I'm not so sure. To me Archie looks less impressive than some other rucks at state league level, and that was the case in the NEAFL too when it was around. It's certainly not impossible for a mature ruck to move ahead of him. Regardless, both Archie and Oscar have been simultaneously injured already this season, and there's every chance it could happen again.

I’m not sure if any of the state league rucks are a short or long term prospect beyond this season.
Depends on their age and their ability. I'd argue the very best among them might be good enough stick around for multiple years, but there's only one way to find out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back