News Colin Carter and Geelong's "ugly" fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we know why they will be unopposed. Have the vacancies been advertised?
If a director was elected via the casual vacancy clause in the constitution (I posted it some time ago) then he/she MUST be voted in at the next AGM by members. If no-one goes up as an alternative then the current member will stay on unopposed. If you want change put up a candidate and get the votes. Otherwise it's the same closed shop. GFC is a not for profit under ASIC and ACNC laws and they cannot get around this. This is a lurk they are playing with.

"AFTER finishing on top of the ladder, Geelong was knocked out of the premiership race by Richmond on Friday night. The loss has divided Cats fans, with many taking aim at Chris Scott for some of his questionable coaching decisions during the 2019 finals campaign. But is their frustration justified? Grady Hudd takes an in-depth look at Geelong’s most polarising figure".

Read more here:
https://www.oneononesportssa.com.au/chris-scott-geelongs-most-polarising-figure/?fbclid=IwAR2-wbnQcwvJ6e_unrM61LDAsLc__umepMHz9esxk6D46R3qm4y3fm9KIVk
That’s a fantastic article that echos the majority of fans on big footy.

I don’t really believe this though. Costa pushed for more? Carter is content with just being there? What aspect of Chris Scott /Joel Selwood screams they’re happy to make up the numbers? None for mine. Could hardly find a sorer loser than Scott.
If Scott had the team that we had in the Costa era, we’d have romped home with the last 3 flags. At least. Presumably even Scott wouldn’t have played Scarlo on the wing!
This is a great point. Selwood and Scott are some of the sorest losers I’ve ever seen in football. And it’s great.

We’re lucky to have a coach and captain that are so desperate to win games. They fight tooth and nail for victory.

They get paid so well that I’m sure a huge percentage of players and coaching staff are happy to make the numbers.

"AFTER finishing on top of the ladder, Geelong was knocked out of the premiership race by Richmond on Friday night. The loss has divided Cats fans, with many taking aim at Chris Scott for some of his questionable coaching decisions during the 2019 finals campaign. But is their frustration justified? Grady Hudd takes an in-depth look at Geelong’s most polarising figure".

Read more here:
https://www.oneononesportssa.com.au/chris-scott-geelongs-most-polarising-figure/?fbclid=IwAR2-wbnQcwvJ6e_unrM61LDAsLc__umepMHz9esxk6D46R3qm4y3fm9KIVk

This somes up my thoughts perfectly.

Thanks, for posting.

So Colin Carter said this on 3AW yesterday:

"I'm amazed at how ugly a very small rump of the supporters are ... I've had letters over the last couple of weeks which are actually quite foul and these aren't (on) social media, these are people who in some cases who sign their names to letters ... I don't accept (the criticism) because the people who know him and are close to him have a completely different view (to fans)"

Okay, so I am sure he is right. Like all Presidents, he receives ugly letters. What confuses me is

(a) He's using this as a response to Friday night
(b) He seemingly thinks it is a further insult / shock that people are using their real names
(c) He repeatedly during the interview on 3AW claimed that he didn't accept any of the criticism and emphasised that the coaching staff were not subject to any overview in terms of strategy (as opposed to whether they are coordinated and communicating, which he took responsibility for) ... "100 to zip view about whether they're right "
(d) Even from a strategic point of view, is calling out your own fans the best idea?

Brilliant from Carter. As anyone in a position as such should do when you have a a situation where there are trolls within your scope.

Come out and call them out for what they are and put them back into their box.

Let the one's who understand and have actual knowledge deal with it and its clear as daylight the people who have knowledge rate him through the roof and as one of the AFL’S best.

Good on you carter. 99.9% of the Geelong fans agree with you.

The small percent of those angry losers can go have a sook

Brilliant from Carter. As anyone in a position as such should do when you have a a situation where there are trolls within your scope.

Let the one's who understand and have actual knowledge deal with it and its clear as daylight the people who have knowledge rate him through the roof and as one of the AFL’S best.

lol... Talk about disconnected from reality.

I’m more concerned with how these letters are getting to their intended targets...and if they are not being received why is it being brought up ?

Yes, as the OP, this was my point. We have lost a Prelim and the President is openly attacking the fanbase (for something surely all clubs have to deal with) in direct response to a question about losing it.

Either that, or he and other staff are airing a concern that Geelong fans turn on their own more than others.

Fellow away fans are all going to cop extra flak next year about it. I'm just questioning the strategy here. I thought the Geelong fanbase was especially loud and proud at the MCG in the last two finals, for what it's worth. We owned the MCG in the first half of the Prelim, depsite being outnumbered.

Last edited:

Living in fantasy land. The number of angry cats supporters i have spoken to recently is no “small minority”.

But keep chugging that cool aid. You’d believe everything they told you. Absolute definition of a sheep.

They may. They may also decide not to renew memberships. Then we'll see if it's only a 0.1% drop or something much bigger.

Depends how many fans don't like being called ugly or even angry losers I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If supporters have written to any members of the club and abused them then they should be called out, passion for the club is not an excuse for abuse....
Then name them , tell us exactly how many, 10, 1000, 1000. This club has a way of exaggerating to keep control. The President has been hardly seen or heard from all year. He does not claim that we should host a final, leaves that to the Coach who is then attacked. Then all of a sudden he arrives and turns on his member/supporters. Not leadership on an level. Time for a clean out of the Board. Get some footy people on not governance gurus or people who can use the position to access European football clubs to then take info to the AFL. That is not working for the the GFC only extending his own CV

Then name them , tell us exactly how many, 10, 1000, 1000. This club has a way of exaggerating to keep control. The President has been hardly seen or heard from all year. He does not claim that we should host a final, leaves that to the Coach who is then attacked. Then all of a sudden he arrives and turns on his member/supporters. Not leadership on an level. Time for a clean out of the Board. Get some footy people on not governance gurus or people who can use the position to access European football clubs to then take info to the AFL. That is not working for the the GFC only extending his own CV
Carter has Cook, the president role at AFL level is quite redundant they are just a chain of command but you still need someone who is a pillar of the community, it's Cook who holds the most power, and this still doesnt take away from abusive fans now he is hardly going to call a few letters out every club has their nuffies, their was a campaign to voice displeasure which even gave out the clubs details on social media

Read more here:
excellent article, absolutely nailed my exact thoughts and feelings

Carter has Cook, the president role at AFL level is quite redundant they are just a chain of command but you still need someone who is a pillar of the community, it's Cook who holds the most power, and this still doesnt take away from abusive fans now he is hardly going to call a few letters out every club has their nuffies, their was a campaign to voice displeasure which even gave out the clubs details on social media
Yes he does have Cook but strangely he was also silent and absent during the discussion on a home final leaving the Coach to do it alone. Funnily enough the famous 2006 review found that the Coach should have more time to concentrate on his job eg coaching.
But that changes when it suits the brass at the top. The President still has a role, they are the most senior person in the organisation, the leader, the one who should be with the members representing them-remember this is still a not-for -profit community based org. Or is it????
No communication, no elections, not connection except to admonish might suggest otherwise. Arrogance and hubris is all we get.

How is he being arrogant sticking up for his own people and the club against those nuffies who sent letters to the club, maybe they realise complaining about home ground finals on the finals wasn't the time or place, maybe Scott went out on his own or perhaps the clubs way of having a dig at the AFL but in way that wasnt official.

I didn’t realise this was the behaviour the club was complaining about....got a link????

It is in this thread, Chris.

This post is a good example:

From what I read he is "baffled" that coming third is seen as a failure. Says its is a good launching place to have a crack at the premiership. But the fans have witnessed how many "thirds" now? This coupled with strange coaching moves. As one former AFL coach said, why not change Taylor and Blicavs around - maybe not directly, but move things around. Both were failing, so you can't do any worse and Blicavs was the obvious choice on Lynch. The Stanley omission has most of the football world calling it a disaster. And us diehard supporters remember similar in 2013. Carter never addressed any of this, although this is what the angst it all about. He just mentioned one set of supporters who were abusive. So now people even on here who says it, has to precede with a "I don't condone abusive...", because Carter has put a barrier up.

It's hard to think Carter did not hear one single fan, who although emotional, had it together enough to make a coherent comment on these things?

Yes he does have Cook but strangely he was also silent and absent during the discussion on a home final leaving the Coach to do it alone. Funnily enough the famous 2006 review found that the Coach should have more time to concentrate on his job eg coaching.
But that changes when it suits the brass at the top. The President still has a role, they are the most senior person in the organisation, the leader, the one who should be with the members representing them-remember this is still a not-for -profit community based org. Or is it????
No communication, no elections, not connection except to admonish might suggest otherwise. Arrogance and hubris is all we get.

Cook was vocal; the club as a whole has been vocal but that now seems to be forgotten - from May 7

Geelong CEO Brian Cook told The Age the club’s stance hadn’t changed and they were preparing to go back to AFL House to argue their point.

“We’ve been approaching the AFL about this for four or five years and we will again,” Cook said.

“We don’t think it’s fair.

“We think if we earn the right to host a final it should be down here. Full stop.”

Do we, I don't know any Geelong supporter who agrees with them. A lot of our supporters/members are angry, disappointed and wanting to know why we crashed out. Wanting some sort of explanation, even if it is more of the same, just something that says we recognise your pain.
What we don't want is a patronising letter telling us that we have been naughty and should qualify our expectations of success.
Particularly when there is no proof of the numbers of contacts made to the club or of what was said.

Cook was vocal; the club as a whole has been vocal but that now seems to be forgotten - from May 7

Geelong CEO Brian Cook told The Age the club’s stance hadn’t changed and they were preparing to go back to AFL House to argue their point.

“We’ve been approaching the AFL about this for four or five years and we will again,” Cook said.

“We think if we earn the right to host a final it should be down here. Full stop.”

Then silent letting the Coach take the lead and cop the flak

If Cook banged on incessantly about there being no home final there'd be people here who would say just shut up and concentrate on the game ahead. If Cook didn't complain there people who would'd say why don't you complain about us not getting a home final. You can't please everyone. Some people are in one camp on a particular day and a different camp the next. There's no satisfying some of them. I've seen them argue both sides almost simultaneously.

You're not a moderator. You don't get to tell people what to write - although I'm sure you secretly crave that power.

Almost as worthless as Scott's tactical acumen in September.
For the record -

Mods dont tell you what to write.

We do remove what you can't write.

Fair difference.

GO Catters

Oi, look over here, a distraction!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back