News Colin Carter and Geelong's "ugly" fans

Remove this Banner Ad

sFtF_BpHouIiUastZe7jXiCtqx4=.gif

They may. They may also decide not to renew memberships. Then we'll see if it's only a 0.1% drop or something much bigger.

Depends how many fans don't like being called ugly or even angry losers I guess.
Especially when they are ugly angry losers! 😂

I doubt there is even a drop.

Memberships will increase.

Anyone cancelling a membership because we finished third and not first and didn’t like that the coach didn’t explain/apologise/quit has to take a good look at themselves.

If Cook banged on incessantly about there being no home final there'd be people here who would say just shut up and concentrate on the game ahead. If Cook didn't complain there people who would'd say why don't you complain about us not getting a home final. You can't please everyone. Some people are in one camp on a particular day and a different camp the next. There's no satisfying some of them. I've seen them argue both sides almost simultaneously.
It will be the same people in both cases, just looking for an opportunity to stick a knife in.

Do we, I don't know any Geelong supporter who agrees with them. A lot of our supporters/members are angry, disappointed and wanting to know why we crashed out. Wanting some sort of explanation, even if it is more of the same, just something that says we recognise your pain.
What we don't want is a patronising letter telling us that we have been naughty and should qualify our expectations of success.
Particularly when there is no proof of the numbers of contacts made to the club or of what was said.
I agree with Carter. I guess I must be the silent majority.

They may. They may also decide not to renew memberships. Then we'll see if it's only a 0.1% drop or something much bigger.

Depends how many fans don't like being called ugly or even angry losers I guess.

I doubt Carter would say such if they weren't a small minority. He would know precisely being the president what our fans think and the people most knowledgeable also think of our coaches.

Especially when they are ugly angry losers! 😂

I doubt there is even a drop.

Memberships will increase.

Anyone cancelling a membership because we finished third and not first and didn’t like that the coach didn’t explain/apologise/quit has to take a good look at themselves.

Mate don't put it like that. Think I almost spat out my latte in laughter

So Colin Carter said this on 3AW yesterday:

"I'm amazed at how ugly a very small rump of the supporters are ... I've had letters over the last couple of weeks which are actually quite foul and these aren't (on) social media, these are people who in some cases who sign their names to letters ... I don't accept (the criticism) because the people who know him and are close to him have a completely different view (to fans)"

Okay, so I am sure he is right. Like all Presidents, he receives ugly letters. What confuses me is

(a) He's using this as a response to Friday night
(b) He seemingly thinks it is a further insult / shock that people are using their real names
(c) He repeatedly during the interview on 3AW claimed that he didn't accept any of the criticism and emphasised that the coaching staff were not subject to any overview in terms of strategy (as opposed to whether they are coordinated and communicating, which he took responsibility for) ... "100 to zip view about whether they're right "
(d) Even from a strategic point of view, is calling out your own fans the best idea?
In all of this, one thing that has really not been pointed out...

Well done to all those who still write letters. It’s a dying art form and quite a strangely polite way of attacking someone.

I wonder - what if the letter was lost? Or what if it was thrown out with the junk mail? Did the person pick out a nice stamp to go with the letter? A pretty envelope? Was their handwriting any good?

In all of this, one thing that has really not been pointed out...

Well done to all those who still write letters. It’s a dying art form and quite a strangely polite way of attacking someone.

I wonder - what if the letter was lost? Or what if it was thrown out with the junk mail? Did the person pick out a nice stamp to go with the letter? A pretty envelope? Was their handwriting any good?
For extra effect was the writing in blood? Or newspaper letters clippings??

So many unanswered questions

Based on what Carter said, I naturally assumed it was literally using s**t distilled into ink and then using a calligraphy pen and creating a beautifully written letter (with flourishes etc).
Hey at least they put some effort in it for a lasting impression ...got to give them that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Living in fantasy land. The number of angry cats supporters i have spoken to recently is no “small minority”.

But keep chugging that cool aid. You’d believe everything they told you. Absolute definition of a sheep.
Every supporter I have spoken to, including some who have worked for the club, are ropeable.

There's only 1 Cat supporter I know whose more optimistic... me.
The rest can't stand the moves the MC made, nor the response given when asked the question as to why (Scotts answer to Robbo on 360 was as arrogant as they come) and hated the way we played post bye.
I'm a bit more pragmatic but still have the same questions.

Every supporter I have spoken to, including some who have worked for the club, are ropeable.
Yep, but there are degrees. I’m not ropeable. I’m pretty happy about what I consider to be a very good season. I like Scott and reckon he stays.
Nonetheless I have concerns and consider we made some questionable calls during the second half of the season and the finals.
Yep, Richmond are a better team than us, but if we play them 5 times -they aren’t so good that they win 5/5-we win at least one of those times. I’m not quite convinced we gave ourselves the best opportunity to do so.

Yep, but there are degrees. I’m not ropeable. I’m pretty happy about what I consider to be a very good season. I like Scott and reckon he stays.
Nonetheless I have concerns and consider we made some questionable calls during the second half of the season and the finals.
Yep, Richmond are a better team than us, but if we play them 5 times -they aren’t so good that they win 5/5-we win at least one of those times. I’m not quite convinced we gave ourselves the best opportunity to do so.

There seems to be an idea (and not isolated to this forum) that one is either a Scott lover or hater, and that if your not angry or venting frustration after Friday night, then you must be easily pleased or along those lines.

But surely there's a greater number of people in the middle than at either end.

I'm frustrated with Friday night - I think going into it match a big thing was to not be blown away, and realistically we were still in the game at 3/4 time but just couldn't lift to the next gear. I wanted to win, but not going to throw a tantrum because we lost.

Totally agree about the concerns around some decision made during the second half of the season - would like to see some of those well known issues formally addressed. I understand not necessarily answering them on Friday night when things were raw, but it would be great when a season review is conducted that they are more generous with revealing details and some reasoning to various decisions.

And regarding Scott, I think there's areas where he is really switched on and has a great understanding of the game. I do question if he has the right makeup of people around him though and if improvements can be made in that department - when Simon Lloyd came to the club, was that meant to be in a similar role to Balme because I'm not really sure what he actually does.

Would also love to see some assistant coaches moved on and bring in some from other clubs or recently retired non-Geelong players who have fresh ideas and a different perspective.

Not sure wholesale changes are required to either the playing list or the coaching group, but some smart tweaking and addressing deficiencies would be good to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back