News Colin Carter and Geelong's "ugly" fans

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're being a bit too kind. Most were speculative picks, way ahead of where most thought they would go. That's even true for Cockatoo, but he's obviously had chronic injury issues.

It's true that Brown had bad injuries. Whether he would have justified his high draft pick is arguable. Thurlow had a knee reco but many others have come back from them.

Smedts never looked like it, injury or no injury. He had the most awkward kicking style I've seen in an AFL player for many years. I'm amazed he was considered a top prospect as a junior. Lang never looked like a top 20 pick to me either.

Wells has done great with late picks but not so well with early picks.
Yep, probably fair enough.

I think you're being a bit too kind. Most were speculative picks, way ahead of where most thought they would go. That's even true for Cockatoo, but he's obviously had chronic injury issues.

It's true that Brown had bad injuries. Whether he would have justified his high draft pick is arguable. Thurlow had a knee reco but many others have come back from them.

Smedts never looked like it, injury or no injury. He had the most awkward kicking style I've seen in an AFL player for many years. I'm amazed he was considered a top prospect as a junior. Lang never looked like a top 20 pick to me either.

Wells has done great with late picks but not so well with early picks.
I think wells learnt his lesson from that lot. Trying to be too clever. Noticed in the last few drafts he has gone after more mainstream obvious picks, not trying to find a hidden gem.

Hidden gems with high picks are too risky. Well worth the gamble on late picks though, which he has a great track record of.

I think wells learnt his lesson from that lot. Trying to be too clever. Noticed in the last few drafts he has gone after more mainstream obvious picks, not trying to find a hidden gem.

Hidden gems with high picks are too risky. Well worth the gamble on late picks though, which he has a great track record of.

What we dont know is what the club gives him as a mandate... but generally the last few drafts he feel like is drafting more of game style rathe than the picks he likes.

Hysterical response?
Yeah how dare our supporters be heartbroken and emotional after a tough prelim final loss...
How dare they not throw roses and send chocolates to the club for again failing to make a Grand Final.
After all the hard work those supporters put in to finish as minor premiers, only to have the players and staff say * you, Geelong supporters, we want to lose in finals.

It really is a disgrace that the club people who invest far more time and effort into their achievements than supporters don't pander to immature people who think the world will end if we don't win a flag.

Thanks for this

So he deflected by redirecting criticism to keyboard warriors who send abuse. Then he says that fan concerns are wrong. Great job ‘connecting fans’ carter.
I think they are too. Honestly, this year was a massive improvement even though we didn't make the GF. We are in an excellent trade position to continue competing. But no flag, so let's do a clean out and rebuild, right?

I think they are too. Honestly, this year was a massive improvement even though we didn't make the GF. We are in an excellent trade position to continue competing. But no flag, so let's do a clean out and rebuild, right?
Rebuild with what. Speculation on an overweight 30year does not fill me with hope.

Rebuild is ridiculous. If you have no hope for next year with our current list, I kind of feel sad for you, though.
I have no idea what that means. I was replying to you saying 'lets do a clean out and rebuild, right'. No idea whether you meant it or not. My point was that we don't have to rebuild and particularly not with Stephens. We do need a few top ups perhaps a genuine ruck or a fast winger. But really if the coaches can skill up what we have then perhaps we will be ok.

View attachment 755999

I don't know. I've seen uglier fans Colin.
Every club as ugly fans but seems ours have been more active, now Tim Kelly and family coping abuse for the 2nd year on social media, just maybe Carter has a big point and we as fans need to stamp this out of the club....

Interestingly, the GWS team that finally made a GF had a small number of all of those high draft picks (several of which had already left the club) and quite a few local NSW products, not to mention a Fremantle reject. Just goes to show that high draft picks aren't everything.

They also had a severe injury list. And stupidly played at least two players under serious injury clouds.

Whitfield had said he was running on 50-60% for the GF. Absolutely dumb taking them into a GF.

But, don't compare the outcome on a team with virtually no injuries to a team with a very long injury list. The names out of the GWS side would have played on any team in the comp.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

[QUOTE="thegerman, post: 63174757, member: 26509"

don't compare the outcome on a team with virtually no injuries to a team with a very long injury list. The names out of the GWS side would have played on any team in the comp.
[/QUOTE]

I'd already said that in a previous post in this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After all the hard work those supporters put in to finish as minor premiers, only to have the players and staff say fu** you, Geelong supporters, we want to lose in finals.

It really is a disgrace that the club people who invest far more time and effort into their achievements than supporters don't pander to immature people who think the world will end if we don't win a flag.

Those club people are paid huge amounts of money to invest that time and effort.... Yet they still are able to take midseason holidays...

On the flipside, those 'immature people' probably invest their hard earned cash in the club, and care a while lot more about the losses than those superstars who lead the club and forget about losses approximately 10 minutes after the match...

Well back on topic.

Carter can blame just about any critique on 'ugly fans' but this will have an impact on memberships.

I'd like to see the result of the survey where they specifically ask whether you are renewing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I made my feelings known about the arrogance of the leadership and the fact that I won't be renewing... I hope a lot of others do the same!

Those club people are paid huge amounts of money to invest that time and effort.... Yet they still are able to take midseason holidays...

On the flipside, those 'immature people' probably invest their hard earned cash in the club, and care a while lot more about the losses than those superstars who lead the club and forget about losses approximately 10 minutes after the match...
I don't think you are correct, by a long shot.

There is not a single spectator who invests as much as a footballer or staff member. That is why they are spectators.

I made my feelings known about the arrogance of the leadership and the fact that I won't be renewing... I hope a lot of others do the same!
Oh well. Can't see it happening after finishing on top of the ladder and making a prelim. May even snag a few disenfranchised Bomber/North/Melbourne fans to offset the losses.
I have no idea what that means. I was replying to you saying 'lets do a clean out and rebuild, right'. No idea whether you meant it or not. My point was that we don't have to rebuild and particularly not with Stephens. We do need a few top ups perhaps a genuine ruck or a fast winger. But really if the coaches can skill up what we have then perhaps we will be ok.
Apologies. Thought you were in the it's all ruined camp.

I'm not advocating a rebuild.

I don't think you are correct, by a long shot.

There is not a single spectator who invests as much as a footballer or staff member. That is why they are spectators.
Like the club you also just don't get it.
Just because someone is more invested cause they work there (and get paid to do it) does not mean your average member is not allowed to feel emotions too.
It is this attitude which is the main cause of frustration.
The club is meant to be a club anyway.

Just because someone is more invested cause they work there (and get paid to do it) does not mean your average member is not allowed to feel emotions too.
You don't think the club is right to be a bit puzzled with the over the top reactions to a season where we almost made the GF?
It reeks of entitlement and they would rightly be both puzzled and upset at the abuse after working their guts out to achieve what many, many clubs could only have dreamed of achieving.

You don't think the club is right to be a bit puzzled with the over the top reactions to a season where we almost made the GF?
It reeks of entitlement and they would rightly be both puzzled and upset at the abuse after working their guts out to achieve what many, many clubs could only have dreamed of achieving.
Every club works their guts out mate. It's their job, it's there reputation for future jobs.
If they are puzzled they just don't get it.
You get to a final finishing first and play your full back in the ruck and blame the weather, you've really got to be out of touch to think criticism is not rightly coming your way.
Or to think fans aren't emotionally invested and are just wallets or shareholders.
They just don't get it.
The over the top things? I dunno. We have no idea what people wrote to the club.
Have to just trust the prez without him divulging any information at all.

There is feeling stuff and letting it get out of control. Do you honestly think anyone knocking the club would do a better job?

Every club works their guts out mate. It's their job, it's there reputation for future jobs.
You get to a final finishing first and play your full back in the ruck and blame the weather, you've really got to be out of touch to think criticism is not rightly coming your way.
Or to think fans aren't emotionally invested and are just wallets or shareholders.
They just don't get it.
The over the top things? I dunno. We have no idea what people wrote to the club.
Some of these types made some pretty ridiculous calls this year. Lucky they don't have to face up to their poor decisions...

They just don't get it.
To any so called supporter the facts have shown we have some supporters that should leave the club, the abuse that Tim Kelly and his family and the club staff is so not ok, if you support that behaviour, its ok if you dont renew membership your not wanted, Spazz come up with real point of contention about the club at the moment it sounds like a whinge that the Cats didnt win...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back