Universal Love Colin Carter has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outstanding individual, who has presided over some success on the field and massive gains off it. The steps the club has taken with respect to our facilities and our finances have been enormous. And the initiative to rid the club of a dependence on gambling revenue has been magnificent community leadership, irrespective of all his other achievements.

And all of this done without a second of 'look at me!' (yes, Ed, we're looking at you), and an absolute minimum of fuss.

Stay classy, Colin. And keep it coming, Craig...

He had an impossible act to follow and he did it with aplomb. In his time as President, we had more wins than any other club, KP was developed into a venue capable of hosting a final (let's not talk about it), we blew up the pokies, and snagged a flag. Not to mention he is a damn fine and humble fellow.

Congratulations Colin, and welcome Craig.

Interesting fact, Craig is the new president, as his the CEO of Medibank Australia, while one of our major sponsors is GMHBA...
I'm sure he will be fine. These guys are perfectly capable of detecting and acting on conflicts of interest.

I'm a little more concerned we keep going corporate guys and not footy guys. Would love a footy president at same stage, no idea who though.

I'm sure he will be fine. These guys are perfectly capable of detecting and acting on conflicts of interest.

I'm a little more concerned we keep going corporate guys and not footy guys. Would love a footy president at same stage, no idea who though.
Not sure about that. Horses for courses. Not many ex-players have enough creds to be a President. Harley- but he's taken.

Not sure about that. Horses for courses. Not many ex-players have enough creds to be a President. Harley- but he's taken.
I understand that football is a big business but corporate guys also have far less knowledge on football clubs. Ultimately, we're a football club that is here to win.

I think football club boards are too focused on corporate at the moment and I think that drives alot of the undesirable results that are happening in AFL i.e. revenue vs tradition.

There are plenty of players who have experience in business and high level business even guys that aren't well known. There seems to be this notion, is a footballer, isn't capable which I find such as silly notion as there are lots of footballers who transition successfully to other fields.

Just probably finding the one that is interested is more the issue.

I understand that football is a big business but corporate guys also have far less knowledge on football clubs. Ultimately, we're a football club that is here to win.

I think football club boards are too focused on corporate at the moment and I think that drives alot of the undesirable results that are happening in AFL i.e. revenue vs tradition.

There are plenty of players who have experience in business and high level business even guys that aren't well known. There seems to be this notion, is a footballer, isn't capable which I find such as silly notion as there are lots of footballers who transition successfully to other fields.

Just probably finding the one that is interested is more the issue.
You are correct.
I just could not think of an appropriate one when I read your post.

You are correct.
I just could not think of an appropriate one when I read your post.
I know of a great one who sits on many boards around Geelong, just didn't play a huge amount of games for Geelong. Not going to name him for obvious reasons.

However, I sometimes think that its not the obvious superstars that are great board members, its the battler that played ten games who has an understanding but also had to develop their corporate skills.

Would like to see the club focus more on the second tier guys that have to go make their living elsewhere as footy didn't set them up for life. These blokes tend to focus on being known for their business skills and not their VFL/AFL careers. These guys although they play for Geelong, tend to be "fans" now though too, not above the regular joe so I think they are down to earth and understand the normal fan.

There is a few but not sure if its the club not thinking they have enough credentials or whether they aren't interested.

Being a footballer just isn't a skill that has a strong relevance to running a football club. Plenty do though, such as your Tom Harley's or Brendan Gale's. But often it is a clear career path they have chosen as they want to stay in football. Finish football, go into sports admin, become a CEO. The board and the presidency is different though. It is not a career path that you choose, you dont get paid and you dont get involved with the day-to-day running of the club and certainly dont get involved in onfield matters. Unlike a CEO, you have to be a big fan of the club. I think it was Eddie who once said something along the line that president's main role is to be the chief guy at the sausage sizzle. But it does undersell the role of the board and the president, which is primarily that of setting the direction of the club and governance, something that CEO has to execute and report back on. Its a responsibility that largely goes unrecognised by most footy fans, but without it, you cannot achieve the level of excellence and quality required across the whole club to become a club like Geelong.

Love this photo. Two great Cats together. And the scoreboard.:thumbsu:

YXzk0Qw.jpg

Thanks for the mountain of work you've done, Colin. And done quietly and efficiently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a footballer just isn't a skill that has a strong relevance to running a football club. Plenty do though, such as your Tom Harley's or Brendan Gale's. But often it is a clear career path they have chosen as they want to stay in football. Finish football, go into sports admin, become a CEO. The board and the presidency is different though. It is not a career path that you choose, you dont get paid and you dont get involved with the day-to-day running of the club and certainly dont get involved in onfield matters. Unlike a CEO, you have to be a big fan of the club. I think it was Eddie who once said something along the line that president's main role is to be the chief guy at the sausage sizzle. But it does undersell the role of the board and the president, which is primarily that of setting the direction of the club and governance, something that CEO has to execute and report back on. Its a responsibility that largely goes unrecognised by most footy fans, but without it, you cannot achieve the level of excellence and quality required across the whole club to become a club like Geelong.
Thanks JB. Can't let the McGuire quote about the prez's role being "the chief guy at the sausage sizzle" go tho. He was anything but. Got involved in every aspect of the day-to-day running of that club. Which is the antithesis of what a good leader of a board should be.

From the Geelong Addy

WELL connected Geelong hardware retailer Barry Fagg has nailed down a role on the Geelong Football Club board.
Mr Fagg’s appointment will be confirmed at the Cats’ annual general meeting next month, when president Colin Carter retires.

The Cats announced last week that long-term board member Craig Drummond, the chief executive officer of Medibank Private, would assume the presidency at the same meeting.

Mr Fagg, 69, said it was important the Cats board had a mix of directors with corporate experience nationally and within Geelong.

His own resume covers both realms. He is chair of Fagg’s Mitre 10 — one of Geelong’s oldest retailers, and one of the nation’s longest-running family businesses — has worked for Rio Tinto and has served on the board of the Mitre 10 national hardware empire.

He said “local business experience and connection with other Geelong organisations” would be his biggest asset as a Cats director.

The Fagg family business started in Geelong in 1854 — five years before Geelong FC was founded — and Mr Fagg has played a key role in it for the past 40 years.

As chair of the Fagg’s Mitre 10 board, he is responsible for 200 staff across four Mitre 10 stores, including Belmont Timber, the business previously owned by the late Cats benefactor Alex Popescu.

Mr Fagg became a keen follower of the Cats in the 1960s drawn in by stars, such as Graham ‘Polly’ Farmer, John Sharrock, Denis Marshall and Billy Goggin.

His financial support of the club has stretched beyond 30 years as a coterie group member.

“Barry has a wonderful track record in both business and community service, and the club is fortunate to have added him to the board,” Mr Carter said.

“Barry has been a passionate member and contributor to the club over many years. He will help the club’s board moving forward and has strong ties to local business and community leaders.”

Outside business, Mr Fagg is treasurer of Geelong Art Gallery and Geelong College school council, campaign appeal chair for Anam Cara House, and has had pivotal roles at Give Where You Live and the Geelong Community Foundation.

Under Mr Drummond’s presidency, he will join Bob Gartland, Brian Cook, Grant McCabe, Hugh Seward, Kate Spargo and Diana Taylor on the Geelong board.

“I have had a great love of the club since I was a child, and to be able to contribute now as a director is gratifying,” Mr Fagg said.

I know of a great one who sits on many boards around Geelong, just didn't play a huge amount of games for Geelong. Not going to name him for obvious reasons.

However, I sometimes think that its not the obvious superstars that are great board members, its the battler that played ten games who has an understanding but also had to develop their corporate skills.

Would like to see the club focus more on the second tier guys that have to go make their living elsewhere as footy didn't set them up for life. These blokes tend to focus on being known for their business skills and not their VFL/AFL careers. These guys although they play for Geelong, tend to be "fans" now though too, not above the regular joe so I think they are down to earth and understand the normal fan.

There is a few but not sure if its the club not thinking they have enough credentials or whether they aren't interested.

don’t think the club for a minute shuns the idea of someone with AFL experience, they would definitely see it as a bonus. The problem is being a CEO is a tremendously skilled role that requires an immensely talented person to do the job correctly, and these people don’t just grow on trees. It is hard enough to find someone talented enough, let alone one who happened to play AFL football.

I look at a club like north Melbourne with glen archer who apparently from a lot of reports is running the place behind closed doors, and he has turned the place into a basket case as he is too football oriented and not talented at all on the business side which is ultimately his job.

don’t think the club for a minute shuns the idea of someone with AFL experience, they would definitely see it as a bonus. The problem is being a CEO is a tremendously skilled role that requires an immensely talented person to do the job correctly, and these people don’t just grow on trees. It is hard enough to find someone talented enough, let alone one who happened to play AFL football.

I look at a club like north Melbourne with glen archer who apparently from a lot of reports is running the place behind closed doors, and he has turned the place into a basket case as he is too football oriented and not talented at all on the business side which is ultimately his job.

Find it hilarious that even North think he's remotely qualified. His one thought on the field was punch someone when things didn't go his way.

Find it hilarious that even North think he's remotely qualified. His one thought on the field was punch someone when things didn't go his way.

shouldn’t be in his role at north. Has caused a cancer at the club. Very rotten things have occurred down there and other clubs around the AFL with similar problems internally

we are lucky to have the exceptional administrative team we have at geelong. Coster then carter have done exceptional jobs, alongside Brian cook who will be a huge blow to geelong once he leaves, have all done immense jobs turning us into a well oiled machine. We are the envy of every club to some extent with our professionalism.

I hope the new president does an outstanding job, but for mine the one who will be very hard to replace will be Brian cook when he decides to leave.

I'm glad he has moved on. We have turned into a plastic club under his leadership. Like a successful version of the Adelaide crows

I'm glad he has moved on. We have turned into a plastic club under his leadership. Like a successful version of the Adelaide crows
youd rather what.. a titanium club like the Pies under Eddie?

Like the Demons and their mess?

Or would you rather North and their stellar arrangement they have going on?

How about the Dons?

Carlton and their long knives ?

Or as you say.. the Crows.

Oh wait.. no this will be the we need to more like Richmond - as they are the Premiers right now. :rolleyes:

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back