Colin de Grandhomme

kiwi4life

Rookie
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
74 off 50 so far today. Averaging 36 as a number eight. What a hack.

Oh please! On a complete road against a popgun attack who were already worn down. This is exactly what he does! n a situation of say 150/5 (which unfortunately for the Black Caps is a fairly occurrence) he will offer nothing meekly giving away his wicket I will now back up my claim.

I will take you back a few months to New Zealand vs Pakistan in the UAE

1st test,batting first, Black Caps in a tricky situation need the batsman to dig in,CDG comes in thinking's a T20 throwing away his wicket in appaling fashion.

76.2 gone this time! Dearie me, he had his reprieve, but CdG couldn't resist having another waft down the leg side. The ball bites from a middle stump line, and Asad at leg slip clings onto a sharp chance in his midriff! It was short, to the point, and an improvement on his recent showings, but 20 from 22 balls won't win many Tests 203/6

2nd innings same situation CDG still thinks he's playng T20.. While Nicholls bats stoically at the other end looking for someone to support him..

110.4 and again, fuller on the pads and he goes for the pick up shot, but this time doesn't get enough power behind it, an easy catch for Bilal at deep backward square leg, de Grandhomme departs for 26 off 19 334/6

2nd test

Get's out for duck in first innings,

2nd innings, NZ hanging on to save the test match all the top order batsman bat stoiclly putting a high price on their wicket, that is expect for old CDG..

95.4 engines whirring! Hasan Ali runs down the pitch and pulls the chain. CDG will be embarrassed with this shot, no doubt. A length ball in at off stump. Keeps low on him a touch but that's probably because he wasn't on the front foot. It's a hoick. He's stood tall and hoicked. And he's lost his stumps, which is what happens. 270/6

3rd test

1st innings, NZ in trouble could use a solid contribution from old mr reliable CDG..

NOPE!!

49.2 lbw first ball!! Too good from Hasan. It's a new batsman. He won't know much about the pitch. Can't know anything about the reverse swing on offer. So what does Hasan do? He targets the stumps. Supremely good fast bowling. And at the other end is a flat-footed block. The bat is too slow to come down. Certainly when compared to this fuller delivery that crashes into his front pad below the knee roll. Poor de Grandhomme. He had no chance. 123/6

2nd innings, very tight test match could really use a contribution from CDG..

91.5 One brings two: Yasir now has de Grandhomme lbw. The batsman has called for a review. Only he knows why. Watson-esque review. A fizzing slider hits the back pad, as de Grandhomme plays back, that's pretty plumb and the tracker returns three reds 224/6

Basically the story of his whole career, when you need him to deliver he meekly offers nothing every single time. I have backed up my argument with logic and facts. In a very tight series where on multiple occasions he needed to dig in for his team he offered nothing.

In conclusion CDG is a HACK!!

Last edited:
I liked the game where he came in at 5/36 and helped NZ to 278 with a good 72 and then was vital in securing a draw against England with 45 off 97 deliveries.

kiwi4life

Rookie
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I love a good liberal application of mayo.

What is this liberal thing you speak of and how does it relate to mayo? I'm not into that liberal, conservative stuff. I'm just a simple Kiwi bro! I like mayo though, so I hope the liberals don't take it away! Nom, nom! ;)

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Another good game tonight, 64 when his team was in trouble.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Spell of the tournament. 1/22 off 10 overs. Could’ve got more wickets. Slowed down England’s run rate to a crawl.
Boult on the other hand. Oh dear. 0/67 off 10, including the decisive 15 off the last over.
CDG should’ve balled the super over

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, Boult sadly had a shocker with the ball and then costing them with that 'catch'. Feel for him as he's a brilliant player.

CDGH redeemed himself so well though, was useless against India and his innings was looking like costing his team the game. He's someone worth keeping around.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
De Grondhomme is a bit like James Faulkner (or the old James Faulkner anyway).

Not much to look at it, and you think he wouldn't stand out if he was playing park cricket. But he continually ends up with runs and wickets.

He's one of only a handful of test cricketers in the decade who has a higher batting average than bowling average (and are not just part time bowlers).

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Funny timing for the OP. Has done very little wrong since the thread was started.

Yes, he bowled a nice spell in the final as well.
But to be fair to the OP here is the BF Andrew Symonds thread from 2003 I searched up for fun.

No disrespect intended to the early posters in that thread, I thought Roy wasn't much either at the time.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Spell of the tournament. 1/22 off 10 overs. Could’ve got more wickets. Slowed down England’s run rate to a crawl.
Boult on the other hand. Oh dear. 0/67 off 10, including the decisive 15 off the last over.
CDG should’ve balled the super over

Harsh on Boult, he didn't bowl poorly. Should've had Roy out fist ball of the innings and to be honest at the death while Stokes won the battle he was reasonable.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Yes, he bowled a nice spell in the final as well.
But to be fair to the OP here is the BF Andrew Symonds thread from 2003 I searched up for fun.

No disrespect intended to the early posters in that thread, I thought Roy wasn't much either at the time.
At that point he averaged about 25 with the bat and 45 with the ball from memory. Ian Harvey ended up in the squad as well, who did he end up replacing?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Averaging 40.33 with the bat (at a strike rate of 87.28) and 30.02 with the ball in Test cricket as we speak, mostly batting at #7 and bowling first change. Genuine all-rounder. Exactly what Australian cricket was/is hoping a Mitch Marsh or Hilton Cartwright (or any of the great white all-round hopes) would become.

Back