Retired Colin Garland - Retired, thanks Col.

Remove this Banner Ad

We would still need another key back locked in before we delist him. The club still isn't that well off financially, so I'd be shocked t see us delist him. He'd be on decent money, but hopefully no more than 3-400k. Definitely a re-rookie candidate. I don't like the idea of delisting guys after a knee anyway, they need the club to get around them. Only exception was Jamie Bennell, who was out of contract and was going and gone anyway.

I think he'd take a payout (given future after 2018 is unclear) but I doubt the club would give him one. Always better to have a 10 year key defender on the list than not, just for another draft pick. Unless of course we're trying to trade in a high level KPD

Reckon Garland would have more chance of playing this season as a forward then he would getting in the back line now that Lever has arrived. Would need around 10 to 15 injuries concurrently for him to get a look in anywhere on the park, though.

Actually Col did show some skill playing a rebounding role when he was actually given some freedom

But it's highly likely he's cooked right now so let's just have him there for experience and helping out the younger boys.

Don't think he or Bernie should be seeing the field this season especially if it's in defence. Would rather see McKenna Smith or Kielty

Actually Col did show some skill playing a rebounding role when he was actually given some freedom

But it's highly likely he's cooked right now so let's just have him there for experience and helping out the younger boys.

Don't think he or Bernie should be seeing the field this season especially if it's in defence. Would rather see McKenna Smith or Kielty

He was the number 1 guy for getting it at half back and dump kicking it 50m down the ground without looking that's why he was dropped under goody

He was the number 1 guy for getting it at half back and dump kicking it 50m down the ground without looking that's why he was dropped under goody

You're selling him short. When you play in the same sides as Moloney, McLean, Sylvia, etc, that's not an easy stat to top at the club.

I'm a big fan of Judy still. That said, he's depth now, unless he can somehow knock over Hibberd for a spot in the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been a great servant for the club, was one of our best during the dark years (see his 2nd place in the Bluey in 2013). Might play the same kinda role Trengove played in the VFL this year... being a leader and pushing for an AFL spot but not being anywhere near regular 22 AFL footy.

Last edited:
Sad way to finish off if this is the end for col. Nothing went right for him since he signed up as a Lifer with that last three year contract. He was really committed to us throughout, pity he misses out on the good times ahead (we hope)!

It's an unfortunate way for him to bow out, but I think it's definitely for the best. He's already transitioning to coaching roles with AFLW, and I'm sure the club will look after him further in that regard.

From a playing perspective, it's hard to see him forcing his way back into the team, and that's before you consider he's coming back from and ACL which I'd always consider a 24 month injury, with 12 months to recover, and another 12 months building strength and fitness, as well as getting the confidence back into it.

As for his spot on the list ... we've either got a sneaky trade up our sleeves, or we've go our eye on a delisted FA ... Collins would be my preference.

Sad to see Garland go if he retires but we would need a catostrophic run with injuries for him to get a look in. Realistically if Frost, Omac or Lever go down Tmac will swing back. If Hibberd goes down Wagner comes in...then Smith, then maybe finally Garland.

Wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at Collins or Clarke as DFA to fill a spot. Hope it's for a sneaky/awesome trade though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back