Colin "Rocky Balboa" Barnett - Working Class Hero Secures Liberal Victory for WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Another one of the "labor won more seats so they should be in government" crowd hey.

It should be the coalition won.

should be because you think its the Liberals god given right? **** off...win the seats required then blow your horn, this thread was premature and you know it.

Another one of the "labor won more seats so they should be in government" crowd hey.

It should be the coalition won.

Do you pick the irony in the 2 above sentences then?

Can you explain the irony to me Jason?

Because I've never heard of this concept before yesterday of Labor forming a coalition with the Nats to govern.

WA seems like some weird paralel universe I just don't understand.

RE Nationals and the ALP, See the SA government that has a National member in the government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlene_Maywald

Karlene Maywald, Australian politician, is the current South Australian Minister for the River Murray and Minister for Water Security. She also represents the electoral district of Chaffey in the South Australian House of Assembly. As Maywald is the only MP in her party, she is also the state parliamentary leader of The Nationals SA.

A small businessperson before entering Parliament, Maywald was first elected to parliament at the 1997 state election on a margin of 2.6 percent. In contrast to federal politics and in some other states, the Nationals do not have a coalition agreement with the Liberal Party in South Australia so she sat as an independent backbencher during the term of the Liberal Government, voting against the privatisation of ETSA. In 1998, during her first term in Parliament, Maywald became the first member of parliament to give birth to a child while in office when her daughter Tilly Rose was born.

Winning an increased majority at the 2002 state election on 14 percent, Maywald voted for a Kerin Liberal government over a Rann Labor Government and later voted against the state government's industrial relations package. In 2004, however, Maywald was convinced to become a minister in the government, but signed a comprehensive agreement with Labor reserving her right to vote against any government initiative which affected her electorate or the business community. This informal ALP-NAT coalition (the first since 1935) caused uproar, with Christopher Pyne calling for Maywald's expulsion from the Nationals and Patrick Secker calling for a corruption enquiry in to the appointment - neither eventuated. Maywald stated she would support either party who took government at the 2006 state election. The agreement with Labor included a commitment to retain her as a minister if Labor won the 2006 election, so Maywald has remained a minister since Labor's 2006 election win.

An Advertiser poll in August 2008 revealed a decrease in the National vote in Chaffey. The poll of 460 voters conducted in her electorate found the National primary vote has fallen to just 11 percent, from a peak of 53.3 percent (67.2 after preferences) at the 2006 election

Good old Colin is not home yet, but he is a lot closer than Crapenter.

Love the working class for Colin, i doubt however he fits this bill.

Still cant get that picture of Crapenter out of my mind on Sat when he had to front the media, thought he was about to cry.
The knives are out for poor old crapenter wont be long now:thumbsu:

Probably the best result possible for this State. Gave the overtaxing money hoarding P*ssant Labour Government a wakeup call and has possibly delivered country WA some real bargaining power. I hope Grylls milks it for all it's worth, it's about time the Government in this State stopped being so Perth centric. I love listening to talkback, the radio Jocks and listeners are carrying on as if they are being held to ransom by regional WA. Well excuse them for wanting a bit of a return on their tax dollars and investment into the regional infrastructure that will benefit all Western Australians.

A figure I heard for the Regional Royalties scheme was ~$700 million, Im not sure if that was per annum or over the term of the government. I could be wrong on that number but just to put it into perspective the new Football Stadium is going to cost $800 million plus.
Loving it!:thumbsu:

Probably the best result possible for this State. Gave the overtaxing money hoarding P*ssant Labour Government a wakeup call and has possibly delivered country WA some real bargaining power. I hope Grylls milks it for all it's worth, it's about time the Government in this State stopped being so Perth centric. I love listening to talkback, the radio Jocks and listeners are carrying on as if they are being held to ransom by regional WA. Well excuse them for wanting a bit of a return on their tax dollars and investment into the regional infrastructure that will benefit all Western Australians.

A figure I heard for the Regional Royalties scheme was ~$700 million, Im not sure if that was per annum or over the term of the government. I could be wrong on that number but just to put it into perspective the new Football Stadium is going to cost $800 million plus.

$670mil is the figure. Some of that would be already spent so it is actually less,

Some of it can be made up easily here.

http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/annualreports/2007/financial_statements_048.html

$700 million, Im not sure if that was per annum or over the term of the government.

Per year;

Barnett is qouted in todays financial review as stating that he will have to increase the Royalties paid by the Resource industry to fund it.

Gave the overtaxing money hoarding P*ssant Labour Government a wakeup call

I beleive Barnett promised tax cuts worth $250 million over the next 4 years to 2012-the WA government has actually cut taxes by over $1 billion over the last 4 years, with $238 million in tax cuts for this financial year alone-and has planned tax cuts of over $1.2 billion in the next 4 years to 2012 verses the $250 million promised by Barnett.

I wonder what the split of government spending is when broken down on a city vs country basis. I'd be fairly confident that the regions already get more $$ per head spent on them.

Same thing happened in Victoria in '99, just the other way around.

No it didn't, in 99 Victorian election the ALP won 42 seats to the Liberals 36.

Jason may have a point. Here's Antony Green:

http://www.pollbludger.com/356#comments
Once the National Party looked at the result, they seriously began internal discussions about breaking from the Coalition.

Which is why the Independents ended up backing Labor, even though Labor had less seats than Liberal plus National.

In all the recent examples (NSW91, QLD96, QLD95, SA02), Independents put the larger party in government. Gives them the option of abstainging. But in VIC99, they backed the side with less seats, partly over whether the Coalition agreement would continue, but also because the election dramatically changed public perceptions.​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be disingenuous - the Liberals and Nationals had a Coalition agreement in 1999. The breakdown was Coalition 44, Labor 42.

Liberals and Nationals 43 to ALP 42 at the 99 victorian election actually. It was the 3 independents that got the ALP the votes they needed to govern.

The Liberals could only have governed with the nationals, plus 2 of the independents.

Per year;

Barnett is qouted in todays financial review as stating that he will have to increase the Royalties paid by the Resource industry to fund it.

I beleive Barnett promised tax cuts worth $250 million over the next 4 years to 2012-the WA government has actually cut taxes by over $1 billion over the last 4 years, with $238 million in tax cuts for this financial year alone-and has planned tax cuts of over $1.2 billion in the next 4 years to 2012 verses the $250 million promised by Barnett.

Does it say how much they initially raised State taxes in the first term of their tenure, Stamp Duty, Registrations etc. Its more like they have wound back their increases due to voter disgust.

On a side note has anyone seen or heard from the esteemed member for Belmont and Treasurer, Mr Eric Ripper, been keeping a very low profile.

I wonder what the split of government spending is when broken down on a city vs country basis. I'd be fairly confident that the regions already get more $$ per head spent on them.

Thats probably right, but that large sum of money spent on a highway in regional WA services a mining operation that generates Millions for the State Coffers. How about a study on the average $$$ generated per head comparison between City and Country.

Thats probably right, but that large sum of money spent on a highway in regional WA services a mining operation that generates Millions for the State Coffers. How about a study on the average $$$ generated per head comparison between City and Country.

well where do you assign the mines... all their head offices are in the city... and the workers are fly in fly out (ie city)... why should a farmer in Wagin get a heap of cash in his district because of the mining boom any more than the CBD gets a stadium..

But what I was really getting at is that surely 25% of mining royalties are already spent in the country... I'd imagine that some smart public servants (a la sir humphrey) could swindle the country out of a bob or two.

Lets face it: Perth - Bunbury Highway, the new gas hub, new iron ore ports, these are all regional spending. Heck even that new space array telescope is regional...

I hope that what money there is in the process see regional cities like Headland and Geraldton get a fair whack of cash to upgrade facilities like public transport and the like.

Does it say how much they initially raised State taxes in the first term of their tenure, Stamp Duty, Registrations etc. Its more like they have wound back their increases due to voter disgust.
On a side note has anyone seen or heard from the esteemed member for Belmont and Treasurer, Mr Eric Ripper, been keeping a very low profile.

The budget at the time actually shows any increases and tax cuts over the course of the government-the Net affect is tax cuts worth about $1.2 billion since they came to power-the previous Liberal government cut a total of just under $500 million in taxes in 8 years, and the ALP has another $1.2 billion in tax cuts planned over the next 4 years verses $250 million by the liberals.

So thats $2.4 billion in tax cuts under this government, verses about $750 million planned under barnett and under the prvious liberal government.:eek:

http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/uploadedFiles/02_taxation_relief.pdf

Good old Colin is not home yet, but he is a lot closer than Crapenter.

Love the working class for Colin, i doubt however he fits this bill.

Still cant get that picture of Crapenter out of my mind on Sat when he had to front the media, thought he was about to cry.
The knives are out for poor old crapenter wont be long now:thumbsu:

Crapenter - I see what you did there!

Ripper is being touted as the next leader, though only as interim while they try to salvage the mess they created. Ripper could never lead the ALP to victory. Other people who would like the job are Michelle Roberts who is a dud, Alana is another dud who fleetingly thought about the top job.

It's sad that the politics in WA are in a sorry state. We have a ALP who just lost government due to their arrogance and we may have bumbling Barnett who I think is going to struggle and will be a government that is so inexperienced and really not a talented party quite ready to govern.

The next 4 years is going to be a mess regardless of who is in power. The only people like Jeff who opened the post, are the only ones who can not see that Barnett and his hacks are not ready to govern.

Onya Jeff, the Libs are your football team. :rolleyes:

Ripper is being touted as the next leader, though only as interim while they try to salvage the mess they created. Ripper could never lead the ALP to victory. Other people who would like the job are Michelle Roberts who is a dud, Alana is another dud who fleetingly thought about the top job.

It's sad that the politics in WA are in a sorry state. We have a ALP who just lost government due to their arrogance and we may have bumbling Barnett who I think is going to struggle and will be a government that is so inexperienced and really not a talented party quite ready to govern.

The next 4 years is going to be a mess regardless of who is in power. The only people like Jeff who opened the post, are the only ones who can not see that Barnett and his hacks are not ready to govern.

Onya Jeff, the Libs are your football team. :rolleyes:

Allanah is not a dud anyone who can sell light rail to the most car orientated people outside of texas must have something going for her!!

You gotta be kidding me. Saying people are inexperienced when they haven't been in government for 8 years is the same crap Keating used to lose the 96 election, and the same s**t Howard used to get done at 07.

Liberals might be short on talent, but the Labor stocks are pretty damn thin too if you have Ripper as treasurer. At least you know buswell isn't a complete moron. Unlike Eric "the education wouldn't let me teach in a classroom" Ripper.

It doesnt sound like you are very "objective" at all. You seem like just another homophobe who is scared of catching "gay disease".

I voted Green at the election (and we did very well might I add).

Why do you pretend to be an "average joe", and then in the same breath start attacking gays?

Anyone who votes for the greens, should be locked up.

Some of their policies are downright scary.

Ripper is a complete moron - i would

I met Eric Ripper at a party just before he was pre-selected. I thought to myself "Oh well I will never have to hear about him again" - now he is the longest serving treasurer in WA _ WTF

I agree with you mate not only is he inept he is about as charismatic as Martin Ferguson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back