NCAA College Football off-season 22 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Money ruins everything. The big networks becoming like the controlling body of collegiate sports
Yeah. it will lead to the networks having a hand in the schedules. Rivalry games are dying again. it happened the last round or realignment 11 years ago. but this one is killing more because state schools will be left for dead.

ACC is done. they cant compete with the money from the SEC or new Big10. Big10 will get schools $100m a year. ACC can only offer about half that.

ND will end in the Big10.

Stanford and Washington will be targets for the big10 because they both have billions in science, medicine or tech grants. Oregon will get a invite because of sports and links to Nike.
Aren't ACC schools stuck there for another 15 years or something stupid?

Could survive courtesy of that.

Aren't ACC schools stuck there for another 15 years or something stupid?

Could survive courtesy of that.
They can always buy out. but i dont think its that long. or the schools could try and sue to get out of the deals. Who knows if they were binding or more of a handshake deal. and then there could be stipulations. but if you are making half the money and then falling back in recruiting and struggling to get prime TV exposure schools would do what they can to get out.

The big schools in the ACC could afford to buy out. smaller ones will stay. but if enough of the big schools exit then ESPN could rip up the TV deal and the ACC will die.

The gap between the haves and have nots will grow. and be what decided if you can get an invite to the table at the SEC or Big10.

Notre Dame will be joining the ACC for football full time after the NBC TV contract is up
Not anymore. ND wont take ~$50M a year for football when they can make double and keep the west coast trips for Thanksgiving and renew the rivalries with Michigan/MSU.

If anyone at ND agrees to join the ACC they will be thrown out before they get to sign a contract.

Yeah. it will lead to the networks having a hand in the schedules. Rivalry games are dying again. it happened the last round or realignment 11 years ago. but this one is killing more because state schools will be left for dead.

Rivalries are what makes college football so incredible. It’s what got me I to the CFB. :(

Rivalries are what makes college football so incredible. It’s what got me I to the CFB. :(
Look at teams like West Virginia and what happened to their rivals since they moved to the big12.

Or Notre Dame losing the big10 games.

Its going to lead to a bunch of games with dead crowds because no one wants to see a Rutgers/USC game in November. And even if Oregon and Washington get invites that would leave the state schools. Civil war and Apple cup will die.

If Stanford get a invite it wont be because of the team or money they can bring in from football. it will be from the education and science, Technology and medical research and grants.

Big10 like many others were on the verge of getting rid of divisions, but that might be a challenge if they grow beyond 16 teams which works with a 3-6-6 model. 3 proceed opponents you'd play each year then alternating the other 6 every second year. 9 conference games doesn't leave much room for ooc opponents.

The CURRENT re-alignment I feel is near it's end

Pac-12 wont lose anyone to the BigTen THIS time (wait 10 years and it's a near certainty)
Pac-12 and Big XII about on par and wont be able to offer each other much to entice someone to move (the cost of leaving the conference too high with next to no reward. Will be a dead heat between the two - Right now, I'd say Pac-12 better position. But the risk of the BigTen looming over them is the only reason you'd consider the Big XII)
So the Pac-12 would backfill from the MWC (They NEED a presence in SoCal so SDSU will move over, with 1-3 more - Some arguments Colorado State the best option, others Boise State the best option, with small arguments making sense for UNLV. But knowing the Pac-12 they'd jump at Fresno State for Cal-footprint (But it makes minimal sense besides obsession with Cal recruiting))
MWC will then either stand pat or expand from FCS (I'd love a mix of Montana/Montana State/NDSU/SDSU)

That'd just about be the end of this expansion

But in 10 years when the ACC GOR expires, that's when things will get hectic. BigTen/SEC to gut the ACC/BigXII/Pac-12 and then hell ensues as those conference re-position themselves after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not an ideal time to strike a new deal.....
It actually could be
Pac-12 could go - hey big xii. This is the money we're getting. Same as what you are now. But it'll be better if OSU/Baylor etc. come over and more than you can dream of in the BigXII

Just an idea I had which I just posted on a Boise State forum. Thoughts?

When I look at what’s happening in College football, I see what the top clubs in European soccer tried to implement with the European Super League. Tried to unify and create a super league, locking everyone else out and using the league as a toy to make money.

European sports though, has a culture of anyone can win (Though, tv money in the last 30 years has taken that away mostly) with the set-up of promotion/relegation. So the backlash scuttled that before it could occur.

But I look at that promotion/relegation method and wonder, could that be implemented in college football to great effect. Could we have a top division that gives the TV networks the best games, and relegating Rutgers/Vanderbilt/Northwestern/Purdue etc. out of the top flight, and bringing in Oregon/Oklahoma State/Washington/Clemson etc. instead. Then in lower divisions, keep schools geographically aligned. I feel that could really reinvigorate college football. A TCU could put an amazing team together and go from the 2nd division up to competing at the top. You just need to get the structure right.

So here’s my proposal

Division I – The top 40 institutions split into 4 divisions of 10.

Division II through VIII – The next 80 institutions split into 8 divisions of 10.

Division IX – The final 67 institutions split into 3 divisions of 9 teams and 5 divisions of 8.

I would also put in minimum stadium requirements for divisions. If you’re to compete in Division I. You must have a stadium with a capacity of 40,000. Division II with a minimum of 15,000. With no minimum stadium requirements beyond that.
40,000 allows 80 FBS schools plus 4 FCS programs.

While 15,000 allows all other FBS schools (bar Charlotte and Hawai’i*) as well as about 40% of FCS too. So it shouldn’t lead to too many teams being put in a position they can’t reach the next level.

Now each division within each division is split up geographically. So just as an example (I did a rough elimination of schools by getting rid of sub-40k seat stadiums then slowly cutting it back to 40 from what I deem the best schools currently (note, it was a very very rough elimination so might be off – ie. I’m here writing it down now and going, how the f*** did Georgia Tech make it. Eh, cbf changing it, just giving a rough idea)

Division I – West (USC, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Utah, BYU, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State)
Division I – South (Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Georgia Tech)
Division I – East (Miami (Fl), Florida, Florida State, UCF, Clemson, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, North Carolina, Penn State)

Division I – North (Kentucky, Louisville, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota)

The top 2 teams from each Division I division goes to the 8 team playoff.

While the bottom team from each gets relegated to Division II, and the 2nd bottom team has to play a playoff game against a Division II qualifier.

For divisions II. The divisional champions all qualify into a postseason. The 8 teams get put into a playoff match. The 4 winners automatically get promoted in the place of the team that finished dead last in their group. While the 4 losers have to play the 2nd bottom team from the division above for a shot at promotion. If they win, they go up in the place of the 2nd bottom team, if they lose. Them and the team they faced stay in the same division the next season. Whereas at the bottom of the division, dead last is automatically relegated, and 2nd last has the playoff game.

Divisions III-VIII. Is a little more simple. The 8 divisional winners go straight up to the division above. While the runners-up play 9th from the division above them. While last gets relegated, and 9th plays 2nd from the division below.

Division IX – Winners automatically go up, while the runners-up play 9th from the division above them.

Each year, boundaries for regional divisions would be re-evaluated. To try and give the best representation of talent rather than representation of region.

Over time, boundaries could move. In 1 decade, there could be more teams in the West meaning Texas/Oklahoma could be in the South. While a decade later, the west could be weak and teams like Texas/Oklahoma/Nebraska could be in the western division.

It’s a major shakeup. But wouldn’t the tv networks prefer this. Shed the dead weight of Vanderbilt/Kansas/Rutgers etc. and bring in schools that can compete. And do you want to be stuck perpetually with someone like Nebraska who was a powerhouse back in the day, but is struggling to find its feet in this day and age. If a school drops off, they’re not a burden on ratings.

And what would fans think? Okay, you can’t guarantee you’ll play your fiercest rivals every year. But would an Ohio State fan prefer games against Michigan and a bunch of nobodies, or would they rather actual competition?

End of the day, I feel the BigTen/SEC and Fox/ESPN are ruining the sport we love. And I feel this idea, although controversial, gives us a good compromise of giving the networks the best product for tv. While giving fans of all schools a legitimate chance of working your way up to the top and everything’s in your hands. While still giving fans regional rivalries of comparable talented opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back