Collingwood’s greatest high marking player

Remove this Banner Ad

Mostfamousclub_Pies

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
We’ve had several, most recently Howe, however over the years there’s been some great ones. Picken, Peter Moore, Tarrant, the Roccas, Thomas and Elliot to name a few. Who’s your pick?

Terry Waters. Started as a spectacular high-marking forward, later went to the backline and was the best marking defender of the day. Incredible consistency as a pack mark and remarkably strong in the wet. Won a Copeland. Won the goal kicking a couple of times. Captain. A great man.

We’ve had several, most recently Howe, however over the years there’s been some great ones. Picken, Peter Moore, Tarrant, the Roccas, Thomas and Elliot to name a few. Who’s your pick?
Brilliant idea for a thread, by the way.

Ron Todd, the original high mark in the league I believe.
Todd must have been an extraordinary talent, with high marking a major part of his game, but the same can be said of the mighty Dick Lee, who performed similar feats in the very early days of the competition. As for anyone I've actually seen play, Jeremy Howe would be pretty much in a class of his own, given the quality (and quantity) of those great marks. I doubt the game has seen better.

Todd must have been an extraordinary talent, with high marking a major part of his game, but the same can be said of the mighty Dick Lee, who performed similar feats in the very early days of the competition. As for anyone I've actually seen play, Jeremy Howe would be pretty much in a class of his own, given the quality (and quantity) of those great marks. I doubt the game has seen better.
Yes agree about Dick, superb player.

Yes agree about Dick, superb player.
It's a great injustice that he's not recognised as an official Legend of the game, since no player has ever dominated the League's goalkicking tally quite like he has (not even Coventry). He should have been one of the original Legends, but with so much focus on modern/tv era players it seems highly unlikely now that he'll ever get the nod. He probably pays a price for playing in an era when scoring wasn't at all high, though some cynics might say the fact that he played for Collingwood hasn't helped his chances!

It's a great injustice that he's not recognised as an official Legend of the game, since no player has ever dominated the League's goalkicking tally quite like he has (not even Coventry). He should have been one of the original Legends, but with so much focus on modern/tv era players it seems highly unlikely now that he'll ever get the nod. He probably pays a price for playing in an era when scoring wasn't at all high, though some cynics might say the fact that he played for Collingwood hasn't helped his chances!
Well I can't argue against the last - look at the offhand dismissal of the greatest coach of all time when opportunists like Barassi are talked of as legends.
It is - of course - the anyone but Collingwood factor.

In my time, I reckon Jeremy Howe has been the most consistently spectacular.
As a 'one-off' speckie, I've always liked Alan Atkinson's mark over Leon Rice at Waverley in 1973. It won him 'mark of the year' on World of Sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howe isn’t just the most prolific high marker Collingwood has had, he’s the most prolific high marker the game has ever had. It’s not even a contest. He’s taken a hanger nearly every week for close to a decade.

Picken was easily as good as Howe (they're both superb) but then again so was Johnny Greening. Graham Shepherd could take a speccy and Stephen Clifford took probably the best high mark I've ever seen one day in the reserves at Viccy Park.
Banks was very good, Robert Dean was great for his size. Peter Moore was all athleticism (just like his son) whilst Carmen could make simple marks look spectacular! One of the smaller players of his era, Wayne Richardson was also a superb mark for his size and took a couple of real hangers when he had to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back