Collingwood’s greatest high marking player

Remove this Banner Ad

If you go by folklore, Howe's the best in the league since Coleman.

I think essendon people seem to write a lot of folklore .. if Howe isnt the best high mark in VFL/AFL history then I'm a monkey's uncle....and I better be careful using that expression. People talk about blokes like Michael Roach and Peter Bosustow, but they used to do it a couple of times a season. No is better than Howe

Howe the best I've seen in my time watching the Pies. He does it more regularly than just about anyone I can recall. There have been some great marks over the years, Ablett, Barker, Knights, et al but even with them it was rare they'd take marks equal of the quality of Howe's multiple times a year.

Picken the next best Collingwood player although Elliott pre-back injury was challenging that.

Howe the best I've seen in my time watching the Pies. He does it more regularly than just about anyone I can recall. There have been some great marks over the years, Ablett, Barker, Knights, et al but even with them it was rare they'd take marks equal of the quality of Howe's multiple times a year.

Picken the next best Collingwood player although Elliott pre-back injury was challenging that.

The Knights, Barker, Picken era was elite.

Not sure about greatest, but the first for us and indeed football was Dick Lee. He took this over a century ago, didn’t consider it his best effort either.
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three in my time apart from those from the 90s onwards that have been mentioned.

Terry Waters.

John Greening.

Bill Picken.

Daicos took an incredible mark against Fitzroy in 1990 and another one the week he played in the reserves at Victoria park in the mid 80s.
He took a great one v Geelong in the last quarter of the 1980 Prelim and it ended up in the annual report for the year. He kicked a point afterwards unfortunately.

Attachments

• Daics.jpg
    Daics.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back