Collingwood’s multicoloured guernsey (Geelong’s stately guernsey)

Mostfamousclub_Pies

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
They have an enviable guernsey with one sponsor, that matches the colours of their guernsey.
We have red and green sponsorship on a black and white jumper. We’ve now added a sponsorship patch above the players’ numbers. It looks like an NRL jumper!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree, but my point is about it being discreet with its sponsorship.
I would prefer our sponsors were black like that special all black and white guernsey from a few years ago that looks really good but I can’t say it bothers me that much.. maybe the green logo does but I’m use to the red one

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
CCC41AC2-08A0-4320-AD22-CF27F4760A3E.jpeg

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I remember in the old days the advertising was sewn on the jumper.... you could cut it off. I must admit that it wasn't something that i enjoyed doing, but I'd be stuffed if I was going to wear advertising for a company around like some desperate wannabee. Now i just hang jumpers on the wall or put them in a drawer

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD
If I was President I'd mandate that the jumper must be all black n white. I don't care if the financial terms are slightly reduced.
The jumper is awful these days - can't understand why anyone would buy/wear one.

The point is that the sponsors brands stand out ... that’s what they’re paying for.

Getting sponsorship is difficult. The Victorian / national sporting landscape is a highly competitive one, and so many advertising dollars are now going online.

For example, we haven’t been able to find a new naming rights sponsor for our HQ despite a significant period of time looking.

We’re in no position to dictate such terms to would-be sponsors. Sponsors spend $$$millions on logo development and branding. They employ teams to enforce their corporate style guides. Why would a brand put up with a B&W version of their logo when they could just give their money instead to Carlton or Essendon or Facebook or Google and have a colour one?

It’s no big deal for us. When you follow the club for a little while you get a bit sentimental about the Yakka guernsey, or the Spicers guernsey. The CGU guernsey will probably become a thing.

Emirates is a bit different because they’ve sponsored Collingwood for such a long time.

Mostfamousclub_Pies

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The point is that the sponsors brands stand out ... that’s what they’re paying for.

Getting sponsorship is difficult. The Victorian / national sporting landscape is a highly competitive one, and so many advertising dollars are now going online.

For example, we haven’t been able to find a new naming rights sponsor for our HQ despite a significant period of time looking.

We’re in no position to dictate such terms to would-be sponsors. Sponsors spend $$$millions on logo development and branding. They employ teams to enforce their corporate style guides. Why would a brand put up with a B&W version of their logo when they could just give their money instead to Carlton or Essendon or Facebook or Google and have a colour one?

It’s no big deal for us. When you follow the club for a little while you get a bit sentimental about the Yakka guernsey, or the Spicers guernsey. The CGU guernsey will probably become a thing.

Emirates is a bit different because they’ve sponsored Collingwood for such a long time.
Although I disagree with you in principle, you do make some good points. Geelong, either by design or coincidence have managed to find a sponsor whose logo discreetly blends into its jumper. Ours on the other hand, looks a bit cheap and nasty.
I accept suitable sponsorship is difficult to come by, however it shouldn’t be forgotten that we are Collingwood and not the Suns. Thereby we are in a better position than most clubs to attract a sponsorship that might show some flexibility with regards to the colour of the logo.
I’m sure I’ve seen Emirates sponsorship on soccer jerseys in different leagues in Europe in both black and white text.

Last edited:
I’m sure I’ve seen Emirates sponsorship on soccer jerseys in different leagues in Europe in both black and white text.

They’ve otherwise got red in their tops, so the clash wouldn’t work ...

... Arsenal and AC Milan

1617007093441.jpeg

1617007165977.jpeg

And true, there is Real Madrid ...

1617007402704.jpeg

... and whilst we’re not the Gold Coast Suns, let’s not kid ourselves that we’re Real Madrid 😃

Mostfamousclub_Pies

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your point is that it was luck.

Theres no discretion there. They have a long standing association with a car company that has the same colours and used to have a factory in Geelong.
Not entirely. You aren’t giving them any credit if you think that. They also only have one sponsor on their jumper as well.
Is that luck too or design? They are the second oldest club in the AFL, perhaps tradition played a part.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I was President I'd mandate that the jumper must be all black n white. I don't care if the financial terms are slightly reduced.
The jumper is awful these days - can't understand why anyone would buy/wear one.
Slightly reduced? they'd be nonexistent.

If you were a company paying money for your brand to be advertised, you're going to want it to stand out. I don't blame them at all, and I think two of our sponsors over the years have become quite iconic to the makeup of our jumper, in Emirates and Spicers Paper before them.

There aren't too many organizations that have a black and/or white logo that we could realistically adopt for our jumpers.

I don't mind the current scheme, although the logo above the numbers is a bit over the top - however given the financial implications of 2020, I can understand it & understand that it will probably never go back to how it was.

Also, take a look at the jumpers GWS wore over the weekend, no back bottom sponsor and it looks really awkward. In my eyes, those jumpers looked like a local footy club that couldn't get a sponsor, much less an AFL team.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If having different sponsors on our jumper means we continue to exist, I have no problem with it.

These sponsor pay pittances to be plastered across the league and venues and players and drink bottles and any oranges that might appear at quarter time. Advertising has got increasingly bigger on jumpers over the years and if it ever gets to the soccer level, where the players actually look like they're playing for corporations, I would hope that clubs could find a better way.

Why is it that players can be sponsored by ordinary people or BF and not receive any logos on their jumpers or jocks, and yet corporations part with a few bucks and we have to put up with being reminded of their intrusion every minute a player is on the TV.

While I'm at it, I am so sick of that NAB crap. More than money? You are f#%ing kidding me arent ya boys? or should i say boys and girls. That institution has been ripping money off people for decades....cheating people lock stock and barrel. Found guilty in royal commissions and yet they are allowed to own rising star awards and junior footy competitions for a pittance.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Slightly reduced? they'd be nonexistent.

If you were a company paying money for your brand to be advertised, you're going to want it to stand out. I don't blame them at all, and I think two of our sponsors over the years have become quite iconic to the makeup of our jumper, in Emirates and Spicers Paper before them.

There aren't too many organizations that have a black and/or white logo that we could realistically adopt for our jumpers.

I don't mind the current scheme, although the logo above the numbers is a bit over the top - however given the financial implications of 2020, I can understand it & understand that it will probably never go back to how it was.

Also, take a look at the jumpers GWS wore over the weekend, no back bottom sponsor and it looks really awkward. In my eyes, those jumpers looked like a local footy club that couldn't get a sponsor, much less an AFL team.

You know why emirates pay the blood money that they pay? Just look at what the sheiks are doing back home and you'll realise why they want to paint the fake picture of being full-loving sports mad fans to footy fans, so those fans will buy airline tickets or whatever else they are selling.

Last week, we just saw Richard Pratt being treated like a god after we played the blues. Have people forgotten that Pratt was in charge of a company that cheated consumers out of hundreds of millions of dollars by colluding with his so-called competitors? That wealth that carlton has ridden on for the last few decades is not much different from a donation of a panamanian drug lord.

I'm not surprised by anything said on BF, but I choked on my wheeties when I read the comment that GWS looked worse without a corporation plastered on their jumper. That is a joke comment in any sense you want to take it. If you're pulling a few legs, I like your style. Maybe players should be branded with Nike or whatever.....so we know who owns them. Replace that tattoo of mum with one of Jeff Besos or that geek who runs facebook.

Me, and other worthwhile contributors to this thread.
Although the thread title is about Geelong’s jumper, it’s purely a comparison to ours.
The history of Ford in Geelong is massive. Now no more than a memory unfortunately.

Back