Autopsy Collingwood’s wretched injury run in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
After Saturday’s loss to the reigning premiers, Pies have slumped to 12 and 6 record, exposing them to potentially missing the 8 all together, with only 4 points separating them from Sydney in 8th and 8 points from as low as 10th. Although they’ve got Brisbane and Fremantle which they’ve already beaten this season, they also have an under fire Sydney, Port Adelaide and vying for a finals and top 4 spot.

All the talk has been around Collingwood’s inability to beat top 8 sides, but have been one of the in form sides competition, winning 7 in a row, and disposing of majority of their bottom 10 challengers, something a lot of the top 8 sides have struggled with in such an even competition. Would it have been a different story if the Pies were able to keep some of their bonafide best on the park?

The story of Collingwood’s season has been their wretched run of injuries, so I thought I’d do a chronology of events.

Before the season started, Collingwood’s best 22 would’ve looked something like this -

Goldsack, Dunn, Scharenberg
Howe, Moore, Crisp
Aish, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
JDG, Reid, Wells
Elliott
, Cox, Fasolo
Grundy, Treloar, Adams

Thomas, Varcoe, Langdon, Hoskin-Elliott

(Bolded are those who have missed chunks of the season)

From Collingwood’s best 22 at the start of the year, more than half have had interrupted, or a non-existent season. What has worked out well for the Pies is that the depth available has been able to step up, and some have even managed to become best 22, which has seen some of those names above drop below best 22, and become depth themselves.

Unfortunately, and what has become a common theme is that even some of the depth that has stepped in has succumb to injury, and really exposed the Pies and their ability to truly stamp their authority on the season.

Appleby looked well within his league at AFL level before succumbing to a hamstring injury, Broomhead would’ve been an adequate replacement for Fasolo before breaking his leg, Kirby was exciting Collingwood fans late last year but has had a heart complication which has ruled him out for 2018, Sier had 9 tackles and 5 clearances last week against North, and was really settling in as Treloar’s replacement, also now on the injury list.

Since that pre-season best 22, Collingwood’s side has transformed to what it is today, and looks more like this -

Maynard, Dunn, Scharenberg
Howe, Moore, Crisp
Phillips, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
JDG, Hoskin-Elliott, Thomas
Elliott, Cox, Stephenson
Grundy, Treloar, Adams

Langdon, Aish, Daicos, Mihocek

The injuries have both been a blessing in disguise, in that it has allowed others to step up and cement their spot in Collingwood’s best 22, but could also potentially spell the end for Collingwood’s 2018 with some names/positions being irreplaceable, most notably for me, the defence.

For Collingwood’s structures down back, and assuming Howe recovers from the knee to the head, Dunn and Scharenberg are not replaceable. Alongside Howe, they are Collingwood’s three best KPDs. It’s been a very interesting season for the Pies, but Scharenberg may be the straw that breaks the camels back IMO.

What are your thoughts?

On a side note, I am going to also set up a GoFundMe page for the homeless where for every post by a Richmond supporter stating ‘Pies have injuries’ everyone has to make a gold coin donation. Let’s eliminate homelessness in this thread, we’ll also have spare change to build a train line to the airport too.

I’ve put some effort in to have a mature discussion about footy, I would appreciate some sort of courtesy back, otherwise if its not your cup of tea, head to Bay 13.

If you want a discussion on something only Collingwood fans care about take it to the Collingwood board.

Collingwood have had injury problems since Buckley took over. Didn't they completely overhaul their fitness staff this year to sort this issue out?

If you want a discussion on something only Collingwood fans care about take it to the Collingwood board.
I would’ve, but I like hearing from all footy fans, thus posting in the MB. If it doesn’t interest you, there’s the next thread about players having babies.

Collingwood have had injury problems since Buckley took over. Didn't they completely overhaul their fitness staff this year to sort this issue out?
ACLs, broken leg and Treloar’s hamstring are freak accidents that aren’t within their control though.

In saying that, I’m curious to know if the Dees and Pies having a high number may have something to do with the training surface at Gosch’s paddock. I recall it got mentioned on SEN recently.

I’ve put some effort in to have a mature discussion about footy, I would appreciate some sort of courtesy back, otherwise if its not your cup of tea, head to Bay 13.
I appreciate the effort you’ve put in, absolutely, but it’s just that opposition fans are tiring of the constant moaning from Pies fans about injuries.
Some on that list came with injury risk/baggage when you recruited them. Injuries are part and parcel of the long season and its luck, and how you cope with them that matters
My side have been blessed with respect to our big 4 players but contrary to popular belief, we have copped a few to others just below their level. Still had a good run notwithstanding.
I think it has 100% hurt the Pies but that’s just footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make a good point about the injuries to Collingwood players, but the fact is, many other clubs are suffering the same scenario. Having a few key players out of the line up is not peculiar to Collingwood.

You make a good point about the injuries to Collingwood players, but the fact is, many other clubs are suffering the same scenario. Having a few key players out of the line up is not peculiar to Collingwood.
Of course all clubs have injuries, but is it to the same extent/severity as Collingwood this season?

It’s just a cruel thing sometimes because I believe, after Scharenberg’s ACL yesterday, it’s ended our season for good now. Not that we would’ve won the flag, but we could’ve finished top 4 and shaken it up in September.

Injuries can kill a season we all agree on that.. .The question is are the injuries predominantly in game collision and physical contest type injuries or are they soft tissue injuries that can be attributed to training loads and questionable practices. ...i don't know enough (or to be honest care enough) about the nature and break up of collingwoods injuries ...but sometimes it just comes down to s**t luck... Or how injury prone a players physical makeup is to begin with... One thing though it turns eventually ,every team eventually has a bad run with injuries.. It is what it is

Still hmmm doesn't this tell you something? Pies can't beat top eight.

Considering that many tipped the Pies to be a bottom six side this year, the fact that we are where we are, despite injuries, is a huge surprise and a bonus.

The OP's point is that the injuries are reaching the stage where they could give a sour end to what has been a very promising season. Whether you like Collingwood or not, at their best, they've been one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league this year, so it's a shame that their full potential in season 2018 may not be reached due to some factors beyond their control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back