Autopsy Collingwood’s wretched injury run in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know Collingwood players magically become Hercules when injured? Chris Mayne, if injured, is a colossus that pisses on Kouta .
You’ve been nothing but a troll in this thread. Your username suits you :p

Explain what Richmond does different to everyone else to make their players more durable and Ill be less of a smartarse. How does an ACL injury have anything to do with a player’s durability?

A durable player is one that doesn’t get injured, not one that is unable to get injured.
Just like a player can have skill and strength as a quality they can also have durability. It isn't necessarily anything the club does, although strength and conditioning staff may play a part.
Did you see Scharenberg's knee buckle? That just happened because his body failed to take the stress that was put on it. A hundred players could have done exactly the same movement and 99 of them would not have done their ACL. He has had foot issues and knee issues. He needs to get his body stronger to withstand AFL football. He's an extremely talented footballer with a body that's failing him. That's not the same bad luck as Howe getting a knee to the face.

Just like a player can have skill and strength as a quality they can also have durability. It isn't necessarily anything the club does, although strength and conditioning staff may play a part.
Did you see Scharenberg's knee buckle? That just happened because his body failed to take the stress that was put on it. A hundred players could have done exactly the same movement and 99 of them would not have done their ACL. He has had foot issues and knee issues. He needs to get his body stronger to withstand AFL football. He's an extremely talented footballer with a body that's failing him. That's not the same bad luck as Howe getting a knee to the face.
Howe’s knee to the face. Treloar getting pushed as he was kicking. (Had played something like 99% of games since joining Coll) Dunn just landing on his knee from a marking contest. (never done an ACL before) Melbourne player landing on Wells’s foot and it breaks. * durability, give us just a little extra luck and those things don’t happen.

I getcha though, there is an element of control over ones body, but there is only so much control when it’s a contact sport like ours. They’re machines crashing into each other.

Howe’s knee to the face. Treloar getting pushed as he was kicking. (Had played something like 99% of games since joining Coll) Dunn just landing on his knee from a marking contest. (never done an ACL before) Melbourne player landing on Wells’s foot and it breaks. **** durability, give us just a little extra luck and those things don’t happen.

I getcha though, there is an element of control over ones body, but there is only so much control when it’s a contact sport like ours. They’re machines crashing into each other.
I was thinking of Elliott, Reid and Wells (not his foot but the soft tissue injuries prior to that). Fasolo's mental health is also a type of durability issue but is one of the mind rather than body.

I reckon you were the type who rated Swan head and shoulders over Pendlebury because it’s the fancy stuff you notice.
Swan is my all time favourite non Richmond player but that’s more for his personality, both superstars at their peak but yeah I reckon swans absolute best was better and more damaging than pendles absolute best.

You’re telling me Collingwood’s injuries aren’t relevant because another side has injuries too. What does GWS have to do with Collingwood’s injuries? How do you want me to respond?

Piss off and troll elsewhere if you’re going to come back with the above when I respond back adequately.
Stop clogging up the board with s**t useless threads

Stop clogging up the board with s**t useless threads
You're just bumping it back to the top by having a sook.

Whats wrong with discussing the injuries of a top 4 chance? This topic is interesting to me and im not a pies fan.

So many self appointed gatekeepers on this board (and yes, i see the irony of this post).

Just ignore it if you are not interested in the discussion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

not going to give up the injury premiership without a fight

would we have avoided the wooden spoon with less injuries? our captain has missed half the year and our aa half back has been gone since november pre-season training. november! we are notorious for losing players in the first and second quarters of matches. some of our injuries appear to be from mismanagement.
in terms of sheer numbers, for a few weeks now our list has been longer than all other teams.

would we have avoided the wooden spoon with less injuries? our captain has missed half the year and our aa half back has been gone since november pre-season training. november! we are notorious for losing players in the first and second quarters of matches. some of our injuries appear to be from mismanagement.
in terms of sheer numbers, for a few weeks now our list has been longer than all other teams.
Nobody gives a * about Carlton dude

You can say your "captain" was out injured when the guy who should be captain has been there every week.

Patty Cripps is your leader, Murphy ain't s**t.

If you want to persist with talented (and very good when/if fit) players like Elliot, Reid, Wells, Scharenberg, etc, then you are essentially conceding a longish injury list before a ball is even kicked. Add in a taxing style of play and the training required to maintain it over a season and it doesn't surprise me that they seem to be 'unlucky' with injuries every single year.

I reckon injuries are an interesting thing for any club.

Every team has them. Sometimes you can lose a couple of your stars and still win games. You trot out some kids to replace them and you still win games. You get up on emotion and teamwork.

But there comes a tipping point where it becomes too many and you just can't beat the better teams. You just don't have the cattle.

This Irks me to say this but I think the Pies have played really well this year. They are a good TEAM which is why they are in the 8 but I think they will struggle now and even possibly miss the 8. Its a tight comp this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to persist with talented (and very good when/if fit) players like Elliot, Reid, Wells, Scharenberg, etc, then you are essentially conceding a longish injury list before a ball is even kicked. Add in a taxing style of play and the training required to maintain it over a season and it doesn't surprise me that they seem to be 'unlucky' with injuries every single year.
So we would be premier favourites if we didn’t start the season with fewer available players on the list each year? Can you imagine the $ savings if we got rid of Elliot, Wells and Reid and spent the money on A grade talent?

After Saturday’s loss to the reigning premiers, Pies have slumped to 12 and 6 record, exposing them to potentially missing the 8 all together, with only 4 points separating them from Sydney in 8th and 8 points from as low as 10th. Although they’ve got Brisbane and Fremantle which they’ve already beaten this season, they also have an under fire Sydney, Port Adelaide and vying for a finals and top 4 spot.

All the talk has been around Collingwood’s inability to beat top 8 sides, but have been one of the in form sides competition, winning 7 in a row, and disposing of majority of their bottom 10 challengers, something a lot of the top 8 sides have struggled with in such an even competition. Would it have been a different story if the Pies were able to keep some of their bonafide best on the park?

The story of Collingwood’s season has been their wretched run of injuries, so I thought I’d do a chronology of events.

Before the season started, Collingwood’s best 22 would’ve looked something like this -

Goldsack, Dunn, Scharenberg
Howe, Moore, Crisp
Aish, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
JDG, Reid, Wells
Elliott
, Cox, Fasolo
Grundy, Treloar, Adams

Thomas, Varcoe, Langdon, Hoskin-Elliott

(Bolded are those who have missed chunks of the season)

From Collingwood’s best 22 at the start of the year, more than half have had interrupted, or a non-existent season. What has worked out well for the Pies is that the depth available has been able to step up, and some have even managed to become best 22, which has seen some of those names above drop below best 22, and become depth themselves.

Unfortunately, and what has become a common theme is that even some of the depth that has stepped in has succumb to injury, and really exposed the Pies and their ability to truly stamp their authority on the season.

Appleby looked well within his league at AFL level before succumbing to a hamstring injury, Broomhead would’ve been an adequate replacement for Fasolo before breaking his leg, Kirby was exciting Collingwood fans late last year but has had a heart complication which has ruled him out for 2018, Sier had 9 tackles and 5 clearances last week against North, and was really settling in as Treloar’s replacement, also now on the injury list.

Since that pre-season best 22, Collingwood’s side has transformed to what it is today, and looks more like this -

Maynard, Dunn, Scharenberg
Howe, Moore, Crisp
Phillips, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
JDG, Hoskin-Elliott, Thomas
Elliott, Cox, Stephenson
Grundy, Treloar, Adams

Langdon, Aish, Daicos, Mihocek

The injuries have both been a blessing in disguise, in that it has allowed others to step up and cement their spot in Collingwood’s best 22, but could also potentially spell the end for Collingwood’s 2018 with some names/positions being irreplaceable, most notably for me, the defence.

For Collingwood’s structures down back, and assuming Howe recovers from the knee to the head, Dunn and Scharenberg are not replaceable. Alongside Howe, they are Collingwood’s three best KPDs. It’s been a very interesting season for the Pies, but Scharenberg may be the straw that breaks the camels back IMO.

What are your thoughts?

On a side note, I am going to also set up a GoFundMe page for the homeless where for every post by a Richmond supporter stating ‘Pies have injuries’ everyone has to make a gold coin donation. Let’s eliminate homelessness in this thread, we’ll also have spare change to build a train line to the airport too.
Brave, so so brave...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back